how much boost

93cobra12

Nov 21, 2003
Seatte, WA
how much boost do you guys think it is safe to run with a 331 set for a 8.8 compression? I would like to run about 15 psi on this motor, what do you guys think?

Is this true? Could you drop the compression by doubling up the head gasket?

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends on how good of an intercooler you have. Yes you could drop compression by doubling up gaskets but DON'T I repeat DON'T do it! If anything get thicker gaskets or flycut the pistons.

I have a sportsman block with a girlde, all forged internals, with the srs light weight pistons... ANd it doesnt have an aircooler.. Do you think its safe to run that much boost on just my v2-sq trim? Or should I keep it melow until i get an aircooler?

Could I possilbe down the road upgrade and put more boost in that engine with that compression, or should i drop the compression a little lower so I can run more boost? I would like to keep the motor itself strong if I decided to take off the supercharger and run it as a N/A ... thats why i decided to run 8.8 compression.. What do you guys think?

Like the others have said, you should be able to run 15lb with no prob. Just make sure you have a really good tune and a chip burnt for your application. Vortechs have aftercoolers for their blower setups. Im not really sure who has intercoolers for the vortechs.

Dont double gasket. If you do buy new gaskets, just get a thicker one, thats it. Youll be much safer that way. I wouldnt lower your compression any more. It wont be the strongest NA motor out their either.

Since no one else has asked, what are your goals for the car? Theres more to making power than just tons of boost. The guy from the MM&FF magazine made over 1000hp with a 327 and i think 14 or so lbs from a turbo. So dotn get all caught up in how many pounds you put out. You must also take into consideration your induction components, to make sure that all of that boost will be put to good use and it can handle what you are asking it to do.

Just my $.02