how much faster are 4.10's vs 3.73's

ceracer33

Aug 30, 2005
ok i know there have been many many threads on "should i go 4.10's or 3.73's", however through all the searching i have yet to see anyone comparing track times between the two. i could care less to know how many rpms each turns at 70, or how many rpms ill be turning at the traps and so forth. what i want to know is how much time can be dropped from an et by going from a 3.73 to a 4.10 gear. the reason i ask this is simple. i have a free set of 3.73 gears i can throw in when i rebuild my rear, but if i can drop a significant amount off my et by going 4.10's instead, i'll sell the 3.73's and buy some 4.10's. i just honestly cant see the difference being that big, but i want some cold hard facts. so lets hear some times or see some slips

• Sponsors (?)

at the track, Id say 4.10's are worth less than .1, on street tires. With 4.10's, you do cross the traps closer to your ideal RPM's, where as with 3.73's, you are shifting right before you cross the line. However, with 4.10's, traction starts to become a real problem.

Youll see a bigger gain when you start launching the car on drag radials or slicks with 4.10's

Also factor in if you have cams, plan on a blower, nitrous, etc. That way you dont have to go back in a change them out again.

Seeing time slips isn't going to prove anything :shrug:

There isn't going to be a formula to calculate what you are wanting to know, since times just show how well a driver drives. I personally love my 3.73s and every 4.10 owner is going to love their gear. :shrug:

time slips are going to prove alot man. it doesnt take a genious to look at a time slip and tell if someone can drive or if they cant. and if slips are so close that it looks like driver error causing the time difference then im sticking with the 3:73's.

time slips show a LOT more than just how well a driver can drive. there are a ton of variables to look at to determine if a car was significantly faster with 4.10's over 3.73's. its not that hard of a question really.

my mods are: cai, steeda pullies, bbk 75mmtb, ported stock plenum, bbk long tubes, comp 270 cams, sniper special forces programmer, and a 100 shot wet nx brand. i think with slicks and 4.10's i would have to run a 28" tall tire or else i would run out of gear, on street tires im not sure what would happen. im just curious if 4.10's are that much faster than 3.73's. b/c if not im tossing in these 3.73's when i put the 31 spline carrier/axles in the rearend.

If you can hook 4.10's should be the quicker gear as long as your car isnt running out of breath up top.

4th runs out between 108-112mph on my car, not that im trapping that high... but if I were to spray it might become a problem.

If you can hook 4.10's should be the quicker gear as long as your car isnt running out of breath up top.

4th runs out between 108-112mph on my car, not that im trapping that high... but if I were to spray it might become a problem.

you know man i never thought about that with your car and spray. those 4.10s may not be good with juice cause a 100 shot you are going to trap over 108 easily. and you def do not wanna spray in 5th gear thats a bad bad bad idea.

time slips are going to prove alot man. it doesnt take a genious to look at a time slip and tell if someone can drive or if they cant. and if slips are so close that it looks like driver error causing the time difference then im sticking with the 3:73's.

time slips show a LOT more than just how well a driver can drive. there are a ton of variables to look at to determine if a car was significantly faster with 4.10's over 3.73's. its not that hard of a question really.

my mods are: cai, steeda pullies, bbk 75mmtb, ported stock plenum, bbk long tubes, comp 270 cams, sniper special forces programmer, and a 100 shot wet nx brand. i think with slicks and 4.10's i would have to run a 28" tall tire or else i would run out of gear, on street tires im not sure what would happen. im just curious if 4.10's are that much faster than 3.73's. b/c if not im tossing in these 3.73's when i put the 31 spline carrier/axles in the rearend.

4.10s and spray you will be shifting very fast. first gear you better have a window switch cause you may hit the limiter unless you are fast. I like 3.73s cause 3rd gear it pullies hard on spray but i like having the longer gear so i can stay in low gears a lil longer while spraying and gain more speed before shifting.

but thats cause i manually activate my nitrous so its probably better for me having the longer gears but who knows.

i cant really say cause i havent used 4.10s on spray either. so im not really sure if its gonna be any better or worse with spray. but think of it this way why do you need more torque with nitrous 3.73s are gonna be just fine.

4.10's in an Auto are faster and are not too much gear to where your taking away from the engine. I have never drove a stick but I'd imagine 1-2 is pretty quick with 4.10's so as far as traction on the street goes...? I have 285/40/17 BFG KDW and When it's cold out my car will spin alot into second and coming out of the hole. When it's hot out it will hardly spin, and at the track I hook fine best 60' is 2.0 with an auto. I am looking to run here when I get The car back from the shop, I am looking to break that 2.0 60' and also run a 13.4-13.6

i really think im just gonna stick with the 3:73's, i see no reason to go 4:10. i dont think its going to gain me that much, and with me spraying and being a stick, i think it will make it easier on me shifting.

you know man i never thought about that with your car and spray. those 4.10s may not be good with juice cause a 100 shot you are going to trap over 108 easily. and you def do not wanna spray in 5th gear thats a bad bad bad idea.

Yeah, it will probaly run 4th out but I have some 28" tall DR's, and I can raise my rev limiter a little to squeeze some extra MPH out. IT WILL BE DONE!!! lol.

I love my 3.73s in my auto. When I manually shift I will start off in first then kick it around 10mph and she will spin all the way till I shift to second. From a dig forget it, you kick her and she spins till you lift off a little. I say if you need more acceleration then make more power, I don’t see a reason to get 4.10s.

Yeah, it will probaly run 4th out but I have some 28" tall DR's, and I can raise my rev limiter a little to squeeze some extra MPH out. IT WILL BE DONE!!! lol.

dont raise the limiter too much on spray though because thats just more added stress on the rods when spraying.

i plan on building for my 300 shot of nitrous so i may go back to the stock gears because im sure once i get spraying that 300 ill run my 4th out in the 1/4. i am going to run a progressive controller on it though if not then bye bye trans and all other drivetrain components lol