How much for cam install???

• Sponsors (?)

Bill Putnam's article that ChrisGT linked above is worth its weight in gold. No, you do not need to remove the engine, but you will find out exactly how much room these cars have around the motor which isn't much.

Since you have a '99 with the press-on cam sprockets, you will also need sprockets, spacers, and new bolts. You cannot use the time-saver tools from AFM or Ford for the cam swap. Following Bill's article and doing it yourself is actually quite rewarding especially when you fire it back up and realize that you did all the work to get it there. However, if you have them installed, the cheapest I have seen it mentioned on here is $275-$300 at Houston Performance, but most places expect to pay the same price for install as what you pay for the cams.

Any other questions regarding a cam-swap, feel free to ask. I'll help you out the best I can or refer you to someone that might be able to.

VT Stage 1 cams are fine with the stock springs. Many people still upgrade, but others that have stayed with the stock springs have had trouble-free performance.

Changing the springs makes the cam-change look like a cake-walk. Changing the cams is simply removing parts, re-installing parts, and checking timing. However, you will use words you've never used before when doing springs.

Using the special tool below, you have to compress the springs (with the cams still in the car) and remove the rockers. Then, you can fill the cylinders with air to hold the valves shut and use the same tool to compress the springs and remove the retainers and locks. It took a friend of mine and I about 4 hours to do the passenger side. It was just one big learning experience. The driver's side took about 1hr 15min after we learned all the little tricks to changing them.

OTC-7928.jpg

The following link is the cheapest place I could find it. This is where I got mine. Most places were $10-$15 higher.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OTC-7928.html

comp cams 2v cams: about $570
comp valve springs $250
labor/installation: $560
total: $1380

to replace the cams, they have to pull the engine, take the heads off, disassemble them, and reassemble them with the new cams, then put the whole engine back together. if you're going to drop the money for cams, you might as well spend an extra $800-900 to port the heads while they're off the car.

you could, if you're really mechanically inclined, change the cams yourself. i'd rather pay someone who knows what they're doing to do it. comp recommends springs when changing to even a mild cam.

johnnyvista said:
comp cams 2v cams: about $570
comp valve springs $250
labor/installation: $560
total: $1380

to replace the cams, they have to pull the engine, take the heads off, disassemble them, and reassemble them with the new cams, then put the whole engine back together.

:lol:

:rlaugh:

And kiddies don't forget, when you change your shifter make sure you remove the entire transmission from the car.

myponyrocks said:
I think Johny got ripped off

Did they change your headlight fluid too? :bang:

I just had mine changed. You have to be careful and remove the lights from the car to change the fluid, though. No big deal. I figure if I pull the engine for oil changes, I can at least pull the headlights to add fluid to them :shrug: However, I am not looking forward to the day that I flush the cooling system and have to remove the radiator, water pump, hoses, etc. I'll probably take it to a shop for that.

Johnny does have a good point about the springs. I've been told anything in the neighborhood of .550" lift will need upgraded springs, but I would upgrade them regardless with any aftermarket cam.

Nothing wrong with removing the entire engine to do cams, if you're dropping a built shortblock in while you're at it. :D

You're obviously a little ways away, lol. I had mine done by TSS Racing, the same guy who built my shortblock. I had to wait for him to get the "cam swapping tool" but it made it cheaper for me and also only took him a couple of hours.