How much power will a stock 4.6 handle?

• Sponsors (?)

You should have bought a GT

Excepcion13 said:
I have been reading this thread with much interest. I recently had my 2006 V6 turbocharged and it is making quite a bit of power now. The V6 has forged rods but the pistons are the same material as the GT's. Does anyone know the HP rating on the pistons themselves? Can anyone help me out here? Are GTs blowing pistons or rods? Thank you!!

P.S. Telling me I should have bought a GT is not the help I am looking for!! :rolleyes:

Hey little ponies are cool too. I have seen some fast V6's that just make me sick so what ever floats your boat. By the way have you had yours on a dyno yet? if so what where your numbers?

cleveland said:
the v6 does not have forged rods, its the same "crap" the GT has.

-Dan

Everything that I have read states that the V6 has forged steel connecting rods. And the V6 is prone to piston failure vice throwing a rod, so it makes sense.

http://www.new-cars.com/2005/ford/ford-mustang-specs.html#engine

http://www.carseverything.com/content/article/1521.4/

If I am wrong or this information is out of date, can you direct me to your source? All of us 6s are going with the assumption that our rods are good to go and we may just have to switch out pistons and wrist pins to fortify the engine. Thanks!

In the past couple of months I have done a lot of research on different types of blowers, planning to add one to my '06 stage 2 roush. I have decided on the roushcharger whihc is getting installed in two weeks. I went with the roushcharger because it is the only s/c that offers the warranty. I believe saleen doesn't even offer one. The car will only make 415 hp at the flywheel but for me its all I want because I will have piece of mind knowing the car is 100% safe and will not blow-but if it does its warrantied. But so far there has not been 1 properly installed roushcharger on a new mustang that has blown the motor. I am no expert and I don't pretend to be, but what the case seems to be is that the 4.6 motors can not handle much more than 450 hp. Roush did a lot of work to create their s/c and found that 415 is the max hp that they can 100% safely produce. I have heard of a ton of guys that s/c their cars with other blowers and make 450-500+ hp but they all go eventually.
-So my opinion is that if you want your new mustang GT to make more power so it will be more fun to drive and as quick as some of other high end cars out on the road, go with the roushcharger or the saleen blower or another similar safely tuned s/c that makes less than 450hp at the flywheel. The car will be fun to drive but in the big scheme of things not that fast. If you want serious power either plan on your motor blowing fairly soon after you put a high pressured blower on, or spend the money and either buy a faster car or forge the internals so you can then make big numbers but in a motor safe way.

Excepcion13 said:
Everything that I have read states that the V6 has forged steel connecting rods. And the V6 is prone to piston failure vice throwing a rod, so it makes sense.

http://www.new-cars.com/2005/ford/ford-mustang-specs.html#engine

http://www.carseverything.com/content/article/1521.4/

If I am wrong or this information is out of date, can you direct me to your source? All of us 6s are going with the assumption that our rods are good to go and we may just have to switch out pistons and wrist pins to fortify the engine. Thanks!

I don't know the answer myself, but it doesn't make any sense why a V6 would have forged rods and the GT wouldn't, especially from a business and manufacturing stand point.

forged internals i've seen for about 2 grand, i havnt seen a used 3v 4.6s on ebay for less then 2. After i do most of my suspension mods, iam looking into forged parts, even before i get my supercharger in december(if i still get it).

iskwezm said:
one of the local tuners here has a 05 with a KB thats putting about 540 at the wheels, but even the tuner says its on borrowed time, but he wanted to see the max he could get

my procharger was originally making 525 at the wheel. now I didn't ask for that. Actually I asked my tuner to get me to mid 400s' cause that's what I heard the max safe limit was for the stock bottom end.

I drove it at 525 for a few weeks. man, it was a beast. but I was having A LOT of problems with the blower and car.

couple of weeks ago I had pulley swap and de-tune. I'm at 440 and feel a bit better about engine safety. plus it's a lot more reliable.

when I get hte $ I'm goign for the forged internals and then up the boost a bit more.

Don't Roush have something to do with the Ford GT and would they not have an interest in maintaining the power difference between Mustang and Ford GT? Although it's been said that no Roushcharger has blown up, where are the facts to say the others have?

paco_pony said:
my procharger was originally making 525 at the wheel. now I didn't ask for that. Actually I asked my tuner to get me to mid 400s' cause that's what I heard the max safe limit was for the stock bottom end.

I drove it at 525 for a few weeks. man, it was a beast. but I was having A LOT of problems with the blower and car.

couple of weeks ago I had pulley swap and de-tune. I'm at 440 and feel a bit better about engine safety. plus it's a lot more reliable.

when I get hte $ I'm goign for the forged internals and then up the boost a bit more.

HOw much will forged internals cost? Does that just mean stronger rods?

Disalvo Racng in Ontario Canada Supposedly has a 2200 RWHP 4.6L

My 05' build is not yet dyno'd but is anticipated to be around 1000-1100 RWHP with N20

Mine is full forged internals, Custom Grind Cam and Crank from Comp Cams, Stroker Kit Novi 2200 H.O. SC, Ported and Planed Heads ... blah blah blah and so on.

Site below is not updated ( Some parts intentionally omitted) .... upon completion of the car I have to drag race a fellah and I do not want him to know to much :)

Skitz