How to identify a cobra t5 with no ID tag?

DEFWISH

Feb 25, 2006
Wichita, Ks
I purchased a t5 from a guy today because i stripped my 3rd gear. I was going to use the counter cluster gears and 3rd from this new one and rebuild mine. but this one he said is from a 95 cobra. It has no id tag. how else can i identify to see if it is? its for my 95 also.

• Sponsors (?)

Seems that the chart info says there is no difference between the regular T5 and the Cobra version in terms of gear ratios. The difference may be in the gear materials or other details that are not easily determined.

23970d1085517163-t-5-casting-number-t5-identifier.gif

the only difference with the cobra t5 is that it got a tapered type bearing on the end of the mainshaft where it goes into the input shaft.

all previous t5's had needle type roller bearings that you'd manually insert into the end of the input, which would slide over the tip of the mainshaft.

your cobra trans now has a bearing instead that's pressed onto the end of the mainshaft. THis is shared in common with the t5z trans..(but that's about it there)

the pocket style bearing actually includes the torque rating of the trans slightly, and will also allow you to dial in more preload on a rebuild.

make sure to use the cobra mainshaft with that bearing when you rebuild your trans. You'll need a 93 cobra style input shaft though, if this is going into a fox.