How to install autometer water temp gauge AND keep stock one?

• Sponsors (?)

yes, I read something about that in an issue of 5.0 one time. A new cooling system came with a new coolant sensor and it fit into that hole after they drilled it.

I suppose you could use it for just a temp sender too.

You can buy a replacement t-stat housing from advance auto and they have one that already has the port drilled and tapped for the sender. I had mine run like that when I had a stock intake. When I went with the edelbrock I put the sender in the extra port that was on the intake.

2L8ULUZ2 said:
You can buy a replacement t-stat housing from advance auto and they have one that already has the port drilled and tapped for the sender. I had mine run like that when I had a stock intake. When I went with the edelbrock I put the sender in the extra port that was on the intake.
But i CAN drill and tap it myself right?

I just posted the part number for the housing that 2L8 is talking about - it's on another one of these threads.

Good luck.

urban96 said:
you can give it a shot, if it does crack its only likw $11 fot the one thats pre-tapped at autozone
I wouldnt even bother trying it yourself. Get a new housing for $10, paint it the color you like, change the gasket, change the T-stat for about $8, and use the port.. Now youre ready for summer!!!

RC

BlueOvalStangGT said:
Anything wrong with using the port in the back(near firewall) of my cobra lower?
For use of the least accurate gauge (read the stocker), that should be fine.

The Green GT said:
Isnt the stock temp sender location more accurate than the tapped water neck? If so Ill just put the aftermarket on in the stock location.
You got it Eric - the stock location is most accurate. So the aftermarket sender always goes there. Then the stocker can go to the rear of the lower intake (if available) or the waterneck. The water neck sucks because if the stat sticks closed, your gauge wont reflect actual temps. That's why the stocker goes in the waterneck.

Good luck.

Guero, I thought I mentioned that in one of the PM's?

That was the reason I was saying to relocate the stocker (you kept asking about the need for a waterneck, etc. Then said you knew you had a dead port in your lower intake).

2L8ULUZ2 said:
When I went with the edelbrock I put the sender in the extra port that was on the intake.

Yeah I did the same. I put the stock sending unit in the extra port on the rear of the Edelbrock intake and don't care about accuracy, just wanted it to operate. I can't help with the stock intake. But the water neck solution mentioned above may be an easier solution than messing with the intake.

By the way, I would think drilling the lower intake would require removing the intake, drilling, purchasing another lower intake gasket, resealing and hoping there's no problems with leaks, heat cycling the intake and retorquing bolts etc etc. That's just too damn much work and potential problems for a sender unit when there's an easier solution. Just One Man's Opinion.

Question, do the plugs just work, or do you have to physically unscrew the stock setup from the intake to put an aftermarket in? The reason I ask, I already cracked my lower intake once just changing a stock sending unit. :bang: That was not fun. :(