how to pick your lock with a coat hanger?

I need some help, I have completley lost my key, and I do not have a spare. I have been trying to fish around with a coat hanger but Im not sure where to fish around with it to unlock the car, and I dont want to call the locksmith, if anyone can help me out, please, and hurry!

• Sponsors (?)

Get a spreader, jam it in between the window and the weatherstripping. Unbend a coat hanger and try to press the unlock button. That would be if you don't have a GTS. If you have a GTS without power locks, ur in a totally different ballpark and you have to pretty much unlock it from where the window comes out.

I have done this before with a slim jim. I'm sure the same theory works. I have a GTS by the way.

Insert slim jim between glass and door. About 10 inches down and slightly towards the front of the car you can feel something that has a tiny bit of give in it. I got the slim gim under that and yanked up. Took me like 30 minutes though to get the feel for it.

I would NOT have been able to do this with a coat hanger as the amount of force I had to jerk with would definately have bent it out of shape.

As to why one of my fraternity brothers owned a slim gim, well thats a different story.

honestly, if your arm is skinny enough, you need nothing more than a decent sized flathead. the last time i got locked out i just used a screwdriver to pry, and reached my arm in and unlocked the door. unfortunately breaking into a sn95 mustang is ridiculously easy.

i tried the sticking the coat hanger through the window and by the time it gets to the unlock button from the back of the door it is too flimsy to have enough pressure to unlock it. Green 5.0, how the hell did you fit your arm in a space that small, and what did you pry with the flathead to do it?

1994Vib.RedGT said:
i tried the sticking the coat hanger through the window and by the time it gets to the unlock button from the back of the door it is too flimsy to have enough pressure to unlock it. Green 5.0, how the hell did you fit your arm in a space that small, and what did you pry with the flathead to do it?

Maybe re-inforce the coat hanger with a couple tight wrappings of duct or electrical tape? That will reduce its propensity to bend.

You could always call AAA or I think the police/fire might help or at least have a couple suggestions.

If you start prying with screw drivers, DEFINATELY wrap them with tape. Window glass will shatter very easily, its designed that way in case the side of your head hits it in an accident. One crack in there and see ya. Take it from a guy who's first full time job was at a glass shop.

- Adam

when using the coat hanger to push the button you push it in from the back then slide it close to the front of the window that way it is almost straight above the button that way the peice of the hanger is not that long and shouldnt flex much, I did this a couple of time, first time took me like 10 min second time about 30 seconds

Just be happy when you did this, that it wasn't 6 degrees outside, and you had no coat on. Ran into gas station for smokes, left car running (best friend was in his, right next to mine), came out, car was locked. Had to hunt around for a big stick to hit my power lock. SN95's are too easy to break into :(

Green 94 5.0 said:
honestly, if your arm is skinny enough, you need nothing more than a decent sized flathead. the last time i got locked out i just used a screwdriver to pry, and reached my arm in and unlocked the door. unfortunately breaking into a sn95 mustang is ridiculously easy.
Some of us arent as skinny as you Rog! :D
View attachment 507103

get a large sponge and slowly lift where your window meets the door [where the window would roll up on the door on the side] and lift it with a strong steak knife. then insert the sponge just enough to keep the window open.. Make the coat hanger as straight and long as you can then due to the sponge lifting up the window you will be able to put the hanger through the hole. Once you have it in press the unlock button. Take the hanger out then when you're inside the car, roll the window down and let the sponge fall to the ground. DO NOT try to just grab the sponge and pull it out.. The force from the window going back so quickly will/can shatter or crack your window...

Once you put everything away grab your key and make 3 copys of it. Give one to someone you trust with it that lives close [family member], leave one in your room, and put one in your wallet.

All I do is pull back the top of the window a little bit and stick my wallet there. Then I slide it slowly toward the front of the car so as to give a larger opening for my arm. Then I stick my arm down the opening & pull the lock pin up. I've also just grabbed a stick and with the window jammed open poked at the switch. I guarantee I can get into any sn95 mustang within 15 seconds with no broken glass or parts. Its pretty sad, actually. :(

Some of you guys have some skinny arms. :) Can any of you come over to help with PCV renewals and things like that? I will feed you. :D

Now that you got in your car, take your key down to your most convenient key cutter, and get like 4 copies made. That should run you like 5 bucks. Then you can put an extra in the garage, inside, with a friend, etc. And you will never be locked out again.

And be thankful that our cars don't have those stupid chips in them. I went to get a copy for my Pontiac and decided I didn't really need to spend the $60 per key.

Wish I would of known this before I broke my damm quater panel window.

Stupid police locked keys in trunk and told me to walk home at 3am in the morning.

Its about a 10 mile's from my house