HPM "Megabite" vs "Megabite JR" Lower Control Arms

Slider

Founding Member
May 19, 2000
Gainesville, FL
I have 2000 GT and I am serious considering buying a set of HPM lower control arms. I am curious to know if any one is experience with either thier megabite or megabite Jr. They say on their site (which is terrible by the way) that the Jr's are best for street/strip cars. The Jr's have poly bushings at both ends while the regular ones have a Teflon/Kevlar lined chrome-moly rod ends on the axle end and poly on the other.

Any one have any input?

Megabite
0009540.jpg

Megabite Jr
0007128.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

KaPPaBaLL said:
Get the Juniors
What do you know about them? I hear them mentioned all the time. However, know one seems to run them, or have any info on them like changes in e.t. or 60' times.

KaPPaBaLL said:
btw, those are some impressive times.
Thanks

KaPPaBaLL said:
little questionable.
I will ignore this, and assume you did not mean anything by it.

KaPPaBaLL said:
Anyway, how does that Mcleod steel flywheel compare to the stock flywheel? Lighter?
No, it is actually heavier since it is steel. It is basically a well built unit that is about the same weight as stock. It might even be a pound or two heavier. The heave weight of a steel flywheel over a alum unit makes that car easier to start in first gear, and keeps teh revs up better between shifts. If you drop the hammer on the car in first it hits the tires hard. So, having d/r's helps a lot at the track. I went with the steel unit because I was told by many that it was best for street/drag racing. Some people feel that an alum unit woud be better. So day when I have some money I will try an alum, but right know I have more inportant things like gears and rear suspension. A steel unit is a few hundred $ less also.

I see.. How do you launch your car? Is there any difference between the stock flywheel and the Mcleod Steel flywheel?

I'm assuming that the regular HPM control arms (non juniors) have a more harsh ride quality to them since more pressure it put down to the ground.. The megabyte Juniors having less pressure on the ground thus more tolerable street behavior.

KaPPaBaLL said:
I see.. How do you launch your car? Is there any difference between the stock flywheel and the Mcleod Steel flywheel?
I launch the car at about 5000 to 5500 rpms. I hold it at those rpms (depending on track conditions), and slip the clutch fast. Don't worry you WILL break stuff. I have already had to replace my clutch, rebuild my stock differential, and I bent my axle on the 1.811 60' time. The McLeod flywheel is "basically" a high quality version of the stock unit. It is probably rated very high in terms of hp that it can hold. When I blew out my clutch (when I say blew, I mean it) my stock flywheel was pretty banged up. I figured that I might as well upgrade the flywheel when I change the clutch. The high qwulaity McLeod unit was not that much more so I went for it.

KaPPaBaLL said:

I'm assuming that the regular HPM control arms (non juniors) have a more harsh ride quality to them since more pressure it put down to the ground.. The megabyte Juniors having less pressure on the ground thus more tolerable street behavior.
I figured with the solid ends on the regular arms that they would be noisier, but I was curious to know if that setup was that much better performance-wise over the Jr's.

I actually researched the Megabites, and I found that the Megabite Jr.s are better for a street/drag car. From what i have seen, they have had some impressive gains. Someone with the Megabite Jrs shaved a full tenth off of his 60' with the megabite Jrs and some other small mods. I would suggest them. www.kmodifiedracing.com sells them for $229.95. You have to give them a call or email though, it isnt uploaded on the site yet.