I am in the Market for a New Laptop

• Sponsors (?)

I've been using a dell inspiron E1705 laptop. It has been flawless so far. I would get another if I had too. I know 2 people with HP laptops and they both have some problems with being too slow and the touch mouse pad.

I have two bits of advice. 1) HP Pavilion zv6000 is a winner, but big. Really well built though. 17" screen built in sound and wireless.
2) The computer I always use is named Averatec, website has a dot com after that I believe. It's a super small sub-notebook but has been rock solid and it's used several hours a day for work and school. VERRY small notebook, great for portability, but battery life sux.

Good luck.

alienware has a reputation for breaking down. i'd stay away from them now.

i got a cheapo hp laptop with a sempron processor at staples and it has been great. wide screen, dvd reader/cd burner, integrated wireless, everything i need (hardware-wise) and nothing i don't need.

get the most memory you can afford. you'll be happy you did.

Bens95cobra8594 said:
I have two bits of advice. 1) HP Pavilion zv6000 is a winner, but big. Really well built though. 17" screen built in sound and wireless.
2) The computer I always use is named Averatec, website has a dot com after that I believe. It's a super small sub-notebook but has been rock solid and it's used several hours a day for work and school. VERRY small notebook, great for portability, but battery life sux.

Good luck.
Yes, i believe i have the model that is slightly about your HP (Pavilion dv8000 is mine) and its the best computer ive ever had! I have absolutely no complaints with this computer, its a great all around machine. I got the 17" screen because it sits on my desk most of the time, and im doing industrial design, and a lotta photoshop work coming up for school, so i figured the 17" screen would probably do me well. Heres the specs on it:

-AMD Turion 64 1.8GHz Processor w/Mobile Technology
-17" widescreen
-1 gig ram
-100 gig hard drive
-dvdrw/cdrw combo drive
-ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics card
-6 in 1 card reader
etc, etc, etc

I think its the past model, but the most comparable is this one...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ategoryId=pcmcat103700050028&id=1157067574621

I highly recommend the computer, and havent had any problems thus far. I also want to mention that for laptop speakers, they are pretty good. I plug bigger speakers and a sub into the computer anyway, but they are still good.

i have a dell 9300 i love it... i built it to be a gaming/media center for me while im at school... it came with everything i needed i ended up paying like $2000+ for it though... my friend has an Area 51 AW and its amazing... he got his fairly cheaper them my dell... its alittle faster too only down side is that it has a 128 graf card... and i built mine to have a 256 geforce... id say anyway you go is good i just went dell for the warnt.... 3 years and i can beat the **** out of it and send it back to get fixxed whenever...

A few of my friends have those new Mac IBooks, I never thought I'd say this, but I'm thinking of getting one. They're friggin sweet, they look simple but they have so many cool features its ridiculous. And they're pretty much indestructable, you can't even get them to catch a virus it seems. Windows just pisses me off, it seems you can have the best computer or laptop in the world but Windows XP is the limiting factor. It'll freeze-up and do random annoying s**t just out of nowhere, even on a brand new machine. I just might end up switching to the dark side (Mac).

One more vote for HP.

Some Toshibas I've dealt with have been nightmares. The Satellite A10 series (we have over a hundred of them) are riddled with multiple problems.

Personally, I'd buy an HP notebook custom made off their website and add on their accidental coverage warranty. HPs service is excellent and the accidental coverage does cover any damage done to the notebook. We had an employee at my company spill an entire 32 ounce Coke into the keyboard area and the notebook was toast. HP had a new replacement sitting on my desk at work within 48 hours.