I could use some HELP here guys..

skidze

Jun 24, 2009
Hey everyone,
I have a 2002 Mustang GT that has 25K miles on it. It is basically bone stock besides the 4.10 gears I have. Anyways, heres my problem. For about the last month and a half, I have noticed a single "metallic" noise heard only when the accerator is stabbed, or when im in a Higher gear at a low RPM 1500-2800 and hit the throttle suddenly. It seems more evident when the A/C is on, and when its hot out. I popped the hood, and revved it up and I heard the noise coming from the Passenger side rear part of the engine. Its not a continuous noise-Only a sharp Metallic noise (like taking a hammer to a piece of metal a couple times, and then it clears up). I thought it was bad gas, so ran premium for 3 weeks, and put a can of HEET in the tank and SEA-FOAM. Hell I honestly dont have a clue, it started when I moved from Missouri to Texas. Anyone have any ideas, or ever had this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

wow only 25k miles ur car is like new my 03 GT just hit 88k miles runs like new though
never had a wrench to it ether

as far as ur problem it's hard to say considering the the extremely low mileage the only advice i can gave you is to

A check it out again see if it's an idler pulley or the belt tensioner
B make sure nothing is interfered with the belt track
C motor mounts my seam fin until u gun it so check em
D make sure all ur hearder / heat shield bolts are not lose
E check exhaust especially the front cats/ heat shields

on my LS1 i had the same problem took me weeks to find the problem it was a damn lose heat shield from one of my exhaust manifolds i don't think u have a big problem unless those are some hard hard 25k miles = betting the s**t out of it then it would be internal damage:scratch::thinking:

Well i put my 2 cents in here, get a pc of garden hose about 2 1/2 ft long, put one end next to you ear and the other next to the engine, move it around to see if you can find the exact location of the noise.... if it is coming from the inside of the motor i would take it to the dealer right away... hast could make waist on this one...
You know i see more problems with these mustangs than is normal for a car, usually on these Fourms you have people Modding their vehicle's. on here it seems everybody has some problem with their FORD... I have a supercharged 07 C6 corvette pushing 653 RWHP, and i had a issue with it,took it to the local chevy dealer they checked it out found that there was a faulty cam sensor and replaced it free of charge, the car doesn't even have 15000 miles on it and it already had a issue. I guess that may be the reason the American Auto Manufactures are in the trouble they are in... people dont respect the big 3 anymore, when they can go with a Honda,Toyota, or German and drive them with little to no problems at all... I am a loyal GM guy but Dammmmm... Lets get it together and make something that last more than a few years with no issues or many recalls... just my thoughts..

Larry :flag:

Well i put my 2 cents in here, get a pc of garden hose about 2 1/2 ft long, put one end next to you ear and the other next to the engine, move it around to see if you can find the exact location of the noise.... if it is coming from the inside of the motor i would take it to the dealer right away... hast could make waist on this one...
You know i see more problems with these mustangs than is normal for a car, usually on these Fourms you have people Modding their vehicle's. on here it seems everybody has some problem with their FORD... I have a supercharged 07 C6 corvette pushing 653 RWHP, and i had a issue with it,took it to the local chevy dealer they checked it out found that there was a faulty cam sensor and replaced it free of charge, the car doesn't even have 15000 miles on it and it already had a issue. I guess that may be the reason the American Auto Manufactures are in the trouble they are in... people dont respect the big 3 anymore, when they can go with a Honda,Toyota, or German and drive them with little to no problems at all... I am a loyal GM guy but Dammmmm... Lets get it together and make something that last more than a few years with no issues or many recalls... just my thoughts..

Larry :flag:

They fixed your cam sensor for free despite the fact that your car is modded to piss. Don't bitch, it makes you sound ignorant. You should be singing the praises of Chevy. I'd like to see you drive a Honda, Toyota, or BMW with that much supercharged power to the dealer and ask them to cover a warrantee isue. News flash - you wouldn't get that far without dumping oil all over the pavement, much less get something covered gratis.

If one wanted to be as uncharitable as you, one would say "the idiot didn't even have 15K on the motor and he's already got a supercharger on it, and comes in crying about some thing or another as if that wasn't to be expected. What a maroon!"

To the OP,
In my experience, a number of Ford dealers have "chassis ears" that they can clamp on your car in various spots and then drive the car. It locates the noise so you don't need to use a cut-up garden hose.

Alternatively, you can use a long screwdriver by holding the handle to your ear and touching it to various parts of the engine while juicing the throttle to find the trouble spot. The downside of this second method is you still have to get the problem diagnosed and fixed. And telling a Ford tech "the noise is definitely coming from the left rear of the engine" is not nearly as helpful as one might think :)

I'd guess a motor mount is loose or there is a loose heat shield.

i know it sounds out there, but i had a thunderbird that th starter gear worked loose from the bendix pin. ultimatly what happened was the gear would vibrate down to the fliywheel and make the car sound like it was knocking.

Hey everyone,
I have a 2002 Mustang GT that has 25K miles on it. It is basically bone stock besides the 4.10 gears I have. Anyways, heres my problem. For about the last month and a half, I have noticed a single "metallic" noise heard only when the accerator is stabbed, or when im in a Higher gear at a low RPM 1500-2800 and hit the throttle suddenly. It seems more evident when the A/C is on, and when its hot out. I popped the hood, and revved it up and I heard the noise coming from the Passenger side rear part of the engine. Its not a continuous noise-Only a sharp Metallic noise (like taking a hammer to a piece of metal a couple times, and then it clears up). I thought it was bad gas, so ran premium for 3 weeks, and put a can of HEET in the tank and SEA-FOAM. Hell I honestly dont have a clue, it started when I moved from Missouri to Texas. Anyone have any ideas, or ever had this problem?

I was going to recommend checking your fuel octane: Hearing a sharp, metallic noise when stabbing the throttle or under load that worsens when it's hot or the A/C is on sounds a lot like detonation. Add to the fact that it started when you changed locales (MO to TX) and I'm thinking a fuel quality issue, perhaps. You say you've tried "HEET" which I've not heard of: fuel treatment or octane booster? I suggest trying a different octane booster such as NOS-brand. What brand and grade of fuel do you run?

You say the car is stock except for 4.10s in the back. Is the computer tune also stock or was it "upgraded" when the 4.10s went in? A PCM flash is required to correct the speedo and odo for new gears. Was the car "tuned" then too? If so, it's likely the tune's timing curve is overly aggressive (too much advance) causing detonation. Have the tuner take some timing back out if this is the case.

One other thing that comes to mind when I hear noises related to cylinder pressure is the spark plugs. I'd recommend pulling all the coils off and checking the torque on all eight plugs. Sometimes they can back out, getting to the point where they become audible (as the combustion pressure and gases begin to escape around the loose plug which sounds like a "tick") and soon after that, a loose plug will likely shoot out of the head, taking the COP and head threads with it. Make sure none are loose.

Sounds like engine knock to me. I moved to FL from NC a few months ago, and my engine will knock every so often when I have it in too high of a gear and try and accelerate too fast. It is a little warmer and more humid in FL than NC.

If you have a manual, drive your car in 5th at around 50mph and than floor it. Do you hear the sound? Now, do the same thing at the same speed, except put it in 4th. Do you hear the sound? If you hear it again, try it in 3rd at the same speed. If the sound goes away in 4th and 3rd, than you probably have engine knock and will need to either start buying the next highest grade octane and/or get a tune. I am not saying don't try the other advice, just give this a try as well.

If you try octane booster, than get something for "offroad" use only. This is the only stuff that has a chance of helping you. My car is tuned for 93 ocatane and my I had to put a little 87 in my car b/c I was near empty and the station was out of 93. I used the "off road" stuff and the knocking went away. This is not a permanent solution, but it can work in emergencies.

Good luck

Thanks alot for the replies so far guys. So today I decided to take a look at the car again, and try to figure out where the noise is coming from. Once in a while I can get it to make that noise when just Idling and I rev it up from under the hood. I got it to do it a couple times, but still wasnt able to figure it out. Its coming from the back of the engine (back part of intake manifold area). I have a SCT tuner, but it was only bought to fix the speedo..so everything else is stock. Stock tune, stock everything.

So I decided to take the car on the highway going about 55mph in 5th, and accelerate quickly---I hear the slight metallic noise, and then as usual it goes away and no noise is heard.
So then I decided to do it in 4th gear and 3rd gear at 50 mph----still, instantly when I punch the throttle I hear the sharp metallic noise for a split second, and then no more abnormal noise.
The noise seems to only really happen when under a load/when the accerator is striked suddenly. It DOES NOT make any noise when just cruising or light throttle.

With the windows up, A/C off I was in 5th gear going 50mph and gave it full throttle all the way to 70 mph. Like before, I heard the noise right when stabbing the throttle, and that was it.. I didnt not hear anymore pinging or mettalic noise whatsover.

History- The car was a 1 owner, the lady drove it twice a week, and then the car sat in storage for literally 2 years before they sold it. I donot think this car was every rapped or beatin on. I have put about 10K miles on it since I have owned it and donot beat on it all the time either, and perform basic maintenance.

Since I just moved down here, I donot have any damn tools with me or have much money. I figure if this keeps up, a For-Sale sign is going in the window soon. I gotta have a reliable car---I drive about 160 miles a day 4-days a week. :notnice:

You never did say if you have checked the pulleys or not..... Sounds are hard to find in the engine bay. If the pulleys are good then it is possible that you have a bad bearing and are getting motor knock. But it shouldn't go away and should get worse as you beat on it.

I checked the front pulleys and tensioner, and everything seems to be okay. I talked to a Ford Tech today thats a friend of mine, and he said he almost guarantees that its the Cam Phasers and said that many of them do it and to run a thicker weight of oil such as 5w30. He said its a big job to replace them, and most of the time the noise will come back later down the road. Now that I do think about it, I started using Motorcraft 5w20 synthblend oil. Maybe that has something to do with it. The engine calls for 5w20, so I dunno. Anyone heard of this?

So I decided to take the car on the highway going about 55mph in 5th, and accelerate quickly---I hear the slight metallic noise, and then as usual it goes away and no noise is heard.
So then I decided to do it in 4th gear and 3rd gear at 50 mph----still, instantly when I punch the throttle I hear the sharp metallic noise for a split second, and then no more abnormal noise.
The noise seems to only really happen when under a load/when the accerator is striked suddenly. It DOES NOT make any noise when just cruising or light throttle.

Sounds like detonation to me.

Find better gas, try a range colder plugs, make sure the EGR system is functioning properly etc.

I talked to a Ford Tech today thats a friend of mine, and he said he almost guarantees that its the Cam Phasers and said that many of them do it and to run a thicker weight of oil such as 5w30. He said its a big job to replace them, and most of the time the noise will come back later down the road. Now that I do think about it, I started using Motorcraft 5w20 synthblend oil. Maybe that has something to do with it. The engine calls for 5w20, so I dunno. Anyone heard of this?

Since you say it happens under load, I agree with the other members, and would check the spark plugs for detonation. What gas did you last use (place and octane)? If it was a camshaft problem the noise would occur ALL of the time. So would a loose wrist pin or rod knock. Unless of course you're just not hearing the noise 24/7 due to load noises etc.