I did something stupid -- snapped off the dipstick tube

Takt

Jul 14, 2004
Madison, WI
On my 66, 302, I was working on getting the water pump out. I took off the alternator, set it aside and accidently snapped off the dipstick tube. Of course, it snapped off flush so I can't get anything around the tube. I tried to tap it, but that didn't work.

So, short of dropping the oil pan and coming back up from the bottom, any ideas?

I'm not a car guy by nature (surprise, surprise with this mistake huh?) But, man I really like working on them!

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I recieved an engine like that before , what i did was insert a screwdriver in hole and bent half of the tube over and then used needle nosed pliers to pull it out along with some heat like a burnsamatic,Whala it came out slowly , be patient :nice:

I'd be very careful with any heat near the aluminum timing chain cover. I'd be more inclined to try sharpening a flat screwdriver to try to drive it in between the aluminum cover and the steel dipstick tube. The worst that could happen is that you'd risk knocking the piece into the pan, then you could use solvent to try to flush it out the drain plug hole. Ain't working on old cars fun? :D Seriously, I'd much rather work on my '68 than ANY modern computer-controlled car. You can fix old tech with common sense, a hammer and a file. New cars require a degree and $50,000 worth of tools.

zookeeper said:
I'd be very careful with any heat near the aluminum timing chain cover. I'd be more inclined to try sharpening a flat screwdriver to try to drive it in between the aluminum cover and the steel dipstick tube. The worst that could happen is that you'd risk knocking the piece into the pan, then you could use solvent to try to flush it out the drain plug hole. Ain't working on old cars fun? :D Seriously, I'd much rather work on my '68 than ANY modern computer-controlled car. You can fix old tech with common sense, a hammer and a file. New cars require a degree and $50,000 worth of tools.

Well, I'm not sure that's the *worst* that could happen. Trying to drive anything between the steel dipstick tube and the aluminum timing cover could well split the aluminum casting. Ideally, that stub of steel tubing should be carefully driven out from underneath. It should be possible to do it with the timing cover on the car. Dropping the oil pan is no fun, but it's better than buggering up the timing cover (or dropping metal chips in the oil sump).

In my experience, more than a hammer and a file are required to fix these cars. A Phillips-head screwdriver and a Crescent wrench are must-haves! :D

In my experience, more than a hammer and a file are required to fix these cars. A Phillips-head screwdriver and a Crescent wrench are must-haves! :D
A 9/16, 1/2, and 5/8" socket will do it all. plus, on what other car can you remove the rear valance, bumper, etc. in 3 minutes? i love working on my car. i always think everythings gonna be hard, then i do it and im like, "that was it?"

Ain't that the truth! When I pop the hood on my Suburban, it takes me 5 minutes to find the dipstick, which is the only thing I have the knowledge to operate under there. I kid you not, I tried to install a new water pump a couple years back on the Suburban and lacked the specialty tools to do it! The fan threads onto the water pump, rather than being held on my the tradional 4 bolts, and you can't get the fan and pump off as a unit. I have built complete cars, frame included, yet I didn't have the technology to do even the simplest repair on that thing! I LOVE my '68!!!!

It all depends on how hard its in there, most distick tubes are pressed in ,But not that hard, Just getting ahold of the lip and pulling should be enough, Trying to use extactors, will somthimes enlarge the tube on the inside even more and causing the tube to be even tighter than it was.Id say use my method first then ,try others, A little propane torch isnt gonna damage it like your thinking.I said to use alittle heat ,not get it to some degree its gonna distort the aluminim

Is it a clean break? I would imagine if you bent the tube, it would crimp closed (to a degree) before shearing off... If that were so I'd try and drift a terminal sized screwdriver between the tube and the hole at the meatiest part of the casting, then pry it out.

Thanks guys -

It snapped flush -- so I can't get vice grips or needle-nose plyers on it. I tried the tap -- but the farther in I went, the more pressue it put between the tube and the hole -- so I couldn't get it extracted. The fire thing would be cool -- but my in-experience would probably make me shy away from that. Right now it has a plug in it (aoy... :notnice: :shrug: ). I can't get anything between the tube and hole. I tried to get a "c" shapped pick in there to pull back out, but couldn't get enough leverage.

I really appeciate all the advise! I'll need more, so I hope you all don't mind newbie's asking questions (even if they are stupid).

Thanks

Allright i had this happen to me, it wasent that i snapped it moving it, i was trying to get it out! and it would pull up, mine also broke flush and i tried all of the above methods and i was shocked and scared i thought i had really ****ed something up, so this is what i did, i guess i wouldent RECOMEND this, but what i di ws took a drill, and "drilled" the **** out of there, i mean the hole didnt get ANY bigger then stock because the drill bit was that size, i then immediatly drained the oil and made sure all shavings were not around the hole as best as i could, the cars been running for allmost a year now with no pronlems but i could have gotten lucky i guess,,,,,

Cold rod

I've had luck on problems like this with cold. Take a metal rod that fits fairly snug in the hold. Put it in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then put it down their and as the cold spreads, you should be able to pull it out easy.

gevalia said:
I've had luck on problems like this with cold. Take a metal rod that fits fairly snug in the hold. Put it in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then put it down their and as the cold spreads, you should be able to pull it out easy.

That's not a bad idea. But you've already got the pump off, what's a few more bolts to remove the cover ?