i hate stupid shops plz help me out guys

stanggt00

Jul 16, 2003
baltimore md
ok i am thinking the loud tapping sound coming from the engine is a valve dropped the car off at the carmax dealer and was told that it was a clutch bearing and its not covered under my warranty so will cost me $560.00 bucks for them to fix

i know i am a home mechnic but this sounds like bull to me last time i had a little tapping sound i added oil and the noise went away now i have a super loud tapping noise and its not the engine they say but the clutch

o they said u may as well just put a new clutch in :bang:

symptoms of the car
____ loud tapping sound on the passengers side sounds like its coming from the heads on that side
-------car starts up fine even drives ok other then that loud tapping noise
-------right before the noise started they car hesitated like i was patting the gas then the noise started so i pulled over and i could hear it on one side of the motor

an can this problem unchecked cost my car to fail thxs guys :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of headers do you have? It may be a leakey gasket. I never heard of a bad clutch making a "tapping" sound. I would get a second opinion if I were you.

got the car back still mad as hell seeing i had to pay a $50 co-fee for them to fix something that cost about $7.95 in parts and 72 bucks in labor (leaking rear axle) and not fixing the problem i came there for

a friend of mine told me that if i push in the clutch and let the motor rev and did not hear the sound then its most likely the clutch so i did the little test and i still here the sound

so i will check my prochamber to stock header connection and see if its the gasket

i dont think that is the problem seeing that its a ticking sound that i only hear it doing acceleration and steady pressuer on the gas like i said before its very loud

I have the same tapping sound and I have not fully traced it yet but I have two theories 1. bad lifter(s) 2. something in clutch area.

I got under the car and found the loudest area of the sound comming from my bell housing. (used tech ears) I didnt have much time but am going to look again next weekend. its annoying the hell out of me aswell

Me being a full time mechanic, ive never heard of a clutch making a ticking noise. A bent valve wont tick so much, u'll have a engine light having a misfire code. the only things that would tick like that is what jay99 said, a bad lifter. u can check by removing the valve cover and by checking play within the lifter. Also it could be a bad manifold gasket. worst comes to worst, grab a long screwdriver and put it all over the place, manifold, bellhousing, heads, everywhere.