I have lost 1st- 3rd

Dan P.

Founding Member
Apr 26, 2002
N.C.
Well as it says I have lost 1st gear through 3rd when I have my car in OD. Good ol A4LD :bang: Good thing that I picked up that T-5 for $50 :D Now I have to gather a few parts and then the swap is on :nice: But I want to make sure that the T-5 is in good shape, I was thinking of taking it to a shop and just having them take a look at it. What do you guys think I should do while its out of the car?

Thanks,
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

honestly, i would just clean and install. Spin the input shaft and it should spin freely when it out of gear, you should be able to spin the input shaft in 1st too. If it isnt locked totally then its probably fine. My tranny has ~170k on it and i am hard on it. T5s are tough, its probably fine.

Dr.

I am also in need of a few parts for the swap. I need the retaining clip that holds the clutch cable to the tranny, the "dog bone" cable that goes to the fork, and a drain plug for the tranny. If any of you guys might have these parts let me know please.

Thanks

Dan

The dogbone is available at most auto parts stores. I know that Auto Zone can get it if they don't have it in stock. I think it's 7 or 8 bucks. It's made by Pioneer. Ask the goober behind the counter for a clutch cable for an '85 4 cyl Mustang and tell him you want the 2" cable. Or better yet, tell him you need Pioneer part number CA-653.

I ended up making a retainer for the clutch cable at the bell housing using a snap ring and a thin flat washer. Works great and holds the cable firmly in place.

Have you found a driveshaft yet?

Yeah I got the drive shaft when I pulled the tranny. I just got back from Auto Zone and I got their last dog bone they had in stock so thats one part off the list. But I cant seem to find the plug for the tranny, seems that they dont sale them as a listed part.

Tried the hardware store yet?

If I'm not mistaken, it's just a 3/4" or 1/2" NPT pipe plug. You may not get the one that looks just like the factory, but who cares, it keeps the fluid in and its underneath so no one can see it.