I just test drove a 06 GT today!

jetskiz

Mar 20, 2001
Today I went to my local Ford dealer to drive a 04 Mach 1 they had. After driving it and not being too impressed, the sales person asked me if I wanted to drive the GT. Of course I took him up on the offer. I had my 6 year old son with me, he was excited also.

Now the GT rocked. It had nice pickup, more sound altogether. Is there any difference between 05 and 06? The sticker was $28,xxx on this GT. Is there any room to negotiate on these cars? If so, how much are you guys paying for them?

• Sponsors (?)

Basically just in a few options offerd. 18" wheels, pony package, dark IUP. There are also some minor clearance differences in the 06 calipers due to a number of manufacturers turning them out in 06. Of course mineral grey and sonic blue colors were 05 only and 06 added tungsten and vista blue to replace them.

You can haggle on them, but haggling at the dealership isn't exactly a possition of power. Haggle over the phone/internet. Walked away with mine for under invoice.

what kind of interest rates you getting, how much down, and # of months on the loan?

i'm considering an 06. I'd prefer an 03/04 cobra definitly or a Mach 1. Much faster and better response to mods and hold value longer than the GT. that's the only thing holding me back. I am trying to sell my 98 Cobra now. I mean if i was gonna get a good deal on a new GT i'd think about it. Wouldn't pay over $25k or over $420 a month. Just look at all past GT's values drop immediately.

what kind of interest rates you getting, how much down, and # of months on the loan?

i'm considering an 06. I'd prefer an 03/04 cobra definitly or a Mach 1. Much faster and better response to mods and hold value longer than the GT. that's the only thing holding me back. I am trying to sell my 98 Cobra now. I mean if i was gonna get a good deal on a new GT i'd think about it. Wouldn't pay over $25k or over $420 a month. Just look at all past GT's values drop immediately.

First, interest rate depends on your credit and how long you want to finance. Try a range of 6 to 18 percent. I bought my 05 GT for 24K and some change, and traded it 10 months later for 24k. The 05+ have been hot cars, so I do not agree with your statement about GTs not holding their value. Mach 1s that I have seen being traded still loose their value because of the body change. My 06 GT Premium I payed $25,300 for with everything but the shaker 1000. I financed for 72 months with a 5.5 percent interest rate. I am a finance director so I negotiated my rate.

michaelgta said:
First, interest rate depends on your credit and how long you want to finance. Try a range of 6 to 18 percent. I bought my 05 GT for 24K and some change, and traded it 10 months later for 24k. The 05+ have been hot cars, so I do not agree with your statement about GTs not holding their value. Mach 1s that I have seen being traded still loose their value because of the body change. My 06 GT Premium I payed $25,300 for with everything but the shaker 1000. I financed for 72 months with a 5.5 percent interest rate. I am a finance director so I negotiated my rate.

i meant you buy the car and drive it for a year and a half or so then try to trade it in, you'll be owing money. when the new body style cobra comes out, these will drop. It all depends if i sell my car soon or not, because aren't orders being taken for the 07's already? I'm still getting used to this new body style but I dunno if I wanna pay more a month for a new car that i can't really mod/have money to mod cuz of the warranty and increase in payments. i pay 384 a month for a 98 cobra which kinda sucks but then again it's a great car still and will beat any stock-mildly modded GT. I havent test drove one yet but maybe soon. I doubt i'll like it compared to how the cobra pulls up top.

off topic but is the stock stereo as good as the mach 460 and then shaker 1000 is just the addition of subs in the trunk and 6cd in dash. if so then it's not necessary with an i-pod.

I feel that my 06 GT would take a Cobra or keep up with all the ones except maybe the supercharged late models. Not a knock on any Cobra models at all. My white 2000 GT beat a Cobra once. To answer the answer about the shaker. I believe the 500 is enough unless you are into alot of base. The 1000 gives you more watts and the subs. It cost to much for what you could do on your own. I liked the 460 system, but love the shaker 500. The shaker 500 still has the in dash 6 disc and MP3.

michaelgta said:
I feel that my 06 GT would take a Cobra or keep up with all the ones except maybe the supercharged late models. Not a knock on any Cobra models at all. My white 2000 GT beat a Cobra once. To answer the answer about the shaker. I believe the 500 is enough unless you are into alot of base. The 1000 gives you more watts and the subs. It cost to much for what you could do on your own. I liked the 460 system, but love the shaker 500. The shaker 500 still has the in dash 6 disc and MP3.

i see what you mean though. it will have more low end power in 1st and 2nd gear. i think stock for stock a 96-98 cobra will slowly pass after 3rd gear with equal drivers. Mod for mod, i think any 96+ cobra should win.

the mach 460 is perfect. i don't like a lot of bass. it just hurts my ears. i don't understand how people can listen to music when all you hear/feel is bass. I still need to test drive one of these cars, maybe I'll like it.

The new mustangs respond really well to mods. My friend has one with an auto that has almost nothing and it runs bottom 12's and will probably run in the 11's on a good day. He has a Zex nitrous kit, drag radials, 4.10's and an excal2. For under 2k including the DR's and rims (1/3 of the $ alone) that is cheap for a car that fast. No suspension mods at all. On radials he went 12.60's at my local track which is @3000 ft and pulled 1.8 60's. The new Mustangs are incredible. To say they don't respond to Mods as well as the older Mach 1's, bullets, and Cobra's is a bunch of BS!