I need more power, S-Trim Qs

markavalenti

Aug 23, 2004
Bend, OR
I am to the point where I want a little/alot more power. I am thinking of doing a V-2 S-trim, but do not know if that would be safe with my combo:

*Stock Block Bored to 306
*DSS Twisted Wedge forged pistons
*DSS Main support (main girdle, windage tray.)
*Canton 7-qt Oil pan.
*Low tension oil rings, hi volume oil pump.
*Innovators West Balancer
*AFM N-91 Hi Rev cam
*Double roller timing chain
*Fel-Pro gaskets
*ARP Head bolts
*FMS 1.6 Aluminum stud rockers
*FMS Hyd lifters
*Ford Racing 30lb injectors
*Kirban FP Regulator and 255 LPH Fuel Pump
*Trick Flow Alum. Heads W/Stage 3 Port and polish (Ported by Jon D Carls @ AFM)
*75MM T/B
*Pro M 80MM MAF
*Edelbrock Performer II manifold W/75mm intake grind.
*Jacobs 5.0 Team DIS ignition
*Jacobs Ultra Coil
*Ford Racing 9mm wires
*AFM Power pipe W/ 8 cone
*March racing underdrive pullies
*AFM PMS computer
*LM-1 Wideband O2

My compresion is about 10:1 so I would not want to run more than about 6lbs, the injectors would be upgraded to 42s. I know the cam is not going to be the best for a blower. Do you think this will be an ok combo for a safe 500 at the wheels, or am I asking for trouble. Any input would be great. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I would slap 8-10 lbs on it with a conservative tune that don't have a lot of timing in it. With 368 rwhp N/A it looks like your little 306 is making some real nice power as is. I wouldn't add much more than a 100 rwhp to it with a stock block and the high rev's. IMO 500 rwhp with a stock block is asking for trouble.

that compression ratio would make me a little nervous with 8-10 lbs of boost. That's a real nice combo you have there. I'd hate to see it split in half, and with a stock block, it's gonna happen eventually.

Man, that is a great # for a NA 306, 368rwhp.

I have seen 331/347 strokers not put down that much. It's all in how the combo is put together and u have done well.

I sold my old 347 stroker to an engine builder who refreshed it after 25,000 miles and ported the AFR 185 heads, ported Downs lower, Comp Cam XE282Hr w/ 112LC, 30lbers, 10.3:1 flat tops and put down 400/400 @ the RW, NA on pump gas.

Then he flycut the pistons to get 9.75:1, changed the heads to ported Dart Sr and used the same cam and intake and added an S-trim and 10lbs and was about 500rwhp on pump gas. used a custom burned chip one for 93 octane and one for 100. He went as high as 611/630 on C114 but he knew it was on borrowed time.

Point is u can use the same cam NA as for boost in ur application, the boost takes away any shortcomings, even though a 114LC is better for s/c's. and 9.75 comp is not that much different than 10:1. It's all in the tune. throw on the blower and go 6-8 lbs to be safe.