I'd like to hear from some centrifugally blown daily driver owners.

BlueDevil95

Apr 20, 2004
Elkton, MD.
My buddy is selling his Vortec blown 03 GT. Engine wise, it's boosted with an aftercooled S-Trim @ 10 psi, Anderson power pipe, TWO bypass valves (Vortech engineered it this way, I've never seen it before, but it sounds EVIL when you stab the throttle) C & L upper intake plenum, Professional Products lower intake, Accu-Fab 75mm throttle body, Ford Racing shorties, Bassani X w/ cats and Magnaflow Magnapacks catback. Trans is stock 5 speed, clutch is stock (car never get abused and RARELY driven hard).

Ford Racing 4.10 gears in the rear with the stock trac-lok and axles. It was tuned by a reputable shop (Performance Evolution in Middletown, DE.) and I did a lot of work on this car myself. It's got some good suspension bits as well, but I'm not focused on that. It's in great shape and has about 36,000 miles on it. Oil is changed with Pennzoil Platinum more on a time basis than mileage since it doesn't get driven a whole lot.

I've owned 3 5.0 cars and one mod motor car (my Mark VIII). I know guys who did daily driving on blown 5.0 cars with no real issues so long as they kept up on the maintenance. My commute is a short, 10 minute drive to and from work on backroads. I do some light traveling from time to time, but typically nothing further than 250 miles. I drove this car to Ocean City, MD and back in May and it performed flawlessly, even getting caught in a couple of rain storms on the way home. The only quirk I noticed with it is it's a little cranky until it's warmed up, but nothing too bad.

I'm wanting to pick it up because neither of us want to see it in the hands of someone who won't take care of it. I'm beyond my "hauling ass off of every stoplight" phase, and I'd rather just cruise, but I like to be able to defend myself should the situation arise. So, It won't be getting run hard very much.

So, I'm wanting to hear from folks who daily drive mod motor cars with centrifugal blowers. Advice, pointers, recommendations, anything.

• Sponsors (?)

I can't speak from experience, however I can tell you what I know. So long as the tune is up to par, maintenance is routine, and the car isn't bordering on 'dangerous' levels for the motor, I have never heard of any issues, particularly with guys running Vortechs at safe levels. Local guys around here putt around in Vortech/Novi/Eaton chargers all the time, daily driven, pushing around 350-400 at the wheels (depending on the car obviously), and their cars are running very well. :nice:

I agree. If you behave (most of the time) and properly maintain it, which it sounds like you will, reliability is a non-issue.

yeah, and the best thing about the car is you never have to hit boost to do some spirited driving. i drive it 250 miles round trip to the beach and only hit boost a couple times. once to smack a trans am in the mouth and once to walk another stang. the boost gauge rarely ever gets beyond 0/0. it's a fun car built right with good parts.

Sounds like what I'd love to DD! The way my car sits now, is just unimpressive. I've ridden in street driven 8 second cars, and ever since then, my car just screams "I'm slow, don't gas it". I may punch it once in awhile to remember why I like torque so much, but I just genuinely love my car to death.

Honestly with only a 10 minute commute I'm not sure that getting blown is right for you. I've had mine blown for well over 10k miles now, I'm almost at 80k on the odometer. Everythings fine other than a few snags, but things like my sparkplug blowout happen on NA motors too.

Any way the reason I say you might not want to, I spend 5 minutes minimum every morning warming the car up and another 5-10 before I go home. I only live about 3 miles from work, and I bet I suck more gas on the warm ups than I do on the drive. Some people will say to just do a short warmup and drive nicely on the way to work, but what if I need to gun it to pass some one... if the cars not properly warmed up and I get in a situation where I need more than 1-2 psi worth of throttle I'm worried I might damage something... so I do the warmup.

Reliability wise, everythings cake. I have a good tune from MPH and the car is well behaved usually. I'll definately blow the next stang too, but sometimes I miss driving off after only 1 min of warmup.

I'm not centrifugally blown, but positively displaced blown, which I've always understood is a little more stressful to the motor on account of all the extra heat and torque it makes.

My tuner told me just to take it easy right after I crank it up, especially first thing in the morning, and not to gas it repeatedly in a short period of time (on account of heat soak). He said a prolonged warm up is not necessary unless it's downright cold outside (< 25 where I live). Just a minute or so is enough.

If the price is right, I say go for it. It sounds like this car is modded right and has been taken very good care of (a rarity these days). Lots of people daily drive supercharged cars with little or no problems. Be sure to do all the regular maintenance and don't abuse it, and I'm sure you will be fine.

Any horsepower or torque numbers, btw?

thanks guys.
i'm not worried about a warmup and i drive all backroads to work, so i never need to mash the throttle. my mark is typically fully warmed up about 1/3 of the way there. the way the car runs, you never need to hit boost to get it rolling pretty good.
the price is really right and he's letting me make payments. i know everything about the car, so i know it's clean, i know who did all the work on it.

it's never been dynoed or seen the track. he just wanted a blown stang. i would estimate about 400rwhp on 10psi, since all the supporting mods are there and the way it shreds a stock LS powered car. its pretty much a done deal in my mind, i just need to sell my lincoln if anybody knows anybody who might be looking. :D 36,000 original mile 96 diamond anniversary special edition.

few pics:
View attachment 216087

View attachment 216088

View attachment 216089

View attachment 216090

:drool: Holy cow dude. I can't describe with words how beautiful that car is. I'd trade my car for it in a heartbeat.

And I might would invest in a dyno tune. 400 rwhp without a tune is really pushing your luck...

it was tuned via data logger, not on a dyno. it's a pretty safe tune at that.

it is a good looking stang. nice and simple, not overstated or ricey at all.

Vry nice car. I say go for it. If mine wernt black I would be driving it every nice day, but I hardly drive mine becuase I just cant get it dirty haha. But as long as you keep the shift points safe when you do pound on it you should be ok. Its all in the tune. SOme cars let loose at 350 rwhp and some let loose at 500 on the stock short block. Its a toss up sometimes. I try not to shift over 5800 in my car. I know I am leaving alot on the tabel from 5800-6200+ rpms but I feel the car is more then safe in thos ranges and I dont plan on putting a motor in it right now. Its a clean looking car, if the price is right I would do it and not look back! Driving a blown car like that everyday is no biggy at all, just stay oughta boost thats all

I cant speak for myself, but my step-brother has a 02 GT with 93k miles, a S-trim @10 or 12 psi cant remember exactly plus gears exhaust and some other bolt ons. Made 373rwhp on a mustang dyno and he drives it all day every day year round. On 305/40-18 Nitto 555r's. In the rain, in the snow you name it. And he absolutely does not baby it.
Personally i wouldn't do it, but he has for two years so far with no issues

OK, would love to have a blown gt; keep hearing about keeping up the maintenance...what needs to be done differently on a supercharged GT than a na one? Thanks for the noob.

10822.imgcache.jpg

and i beat the crap out of it , keep oil changes/maintenance up and its one stout daily driver.
mine warm up faster than what it was stock really , gas mileage is bit lower than N/A but you can guess why.