ideal head for my 331

Rick 91GT said:
I would pick an AFR185 over a Vic Jr anyday of the week if your talking out of the box. I just haven't been impressed with the results on motor's I have built with good matched combo's.

The TFS will work great but they are a little small for a 331 right out of the box depending on your exact combo, but for $700 I would not pass them up. Your combo is going to peak by 6000-6100 rpm anyways with the cam and intake combo you are looking at.

I have a customer with a standard TFS head, alot of work done to them (but they are not as good as some of the profiles that are out now)on on his 345ci NA motor it goes 9.49 @ 142.4mph on MT D/R's ALL MOTOR

Just be prepared when buying used parts, I would have them tanked, check and you may need springs depending what model TFS head they are so you do not float them with the Stage III cam, add new Viton seals as well $21

Thats impressive Rick,how high is the motor being spun,and what kinda compression and cam?

Oh,and 2v,you know are these a newer castings or an older one? They have some differances from what Ive heard (atleast with the R heads,and the old version iron guides).

• Sponsors (?)

bluevenom867 said:
Thats impressive Rick,how high is the motor being spun,and what kinda compression and cam?

Oh,and 2v,you know are these a newer castings or an older one? They have some differances from what Ive heard (atleast with the R heads,and the old version iron guides).
Newer casting

466rwhp isn't just due to the heads.

Grn92lx - So you think know with a 3 in. exhaust that you will dyno 400rwhp?...not to long ago you were saying 370rwhp. Get it on a dyno and shut everyone up. It gets rid of all this "what if"...

If money were no object...why would you get a cheap set of Vic Jr.'s? Why not go with the "best"?

I would listen to the engine builder for his suggestion. AFR 185's or better.

Vic Jr's are old school. Yes they are a good bang for the buck. That doesn't mean they are the best head.

Rick 91GT said:
I build mainly with the Probes SRS series and they do not need the refliefs cut for a AFR 165,185 or 205 (haven't check them with a 225 yet)

What series piston are you using the FPS?

I am using the srs series too. I haven't had experience with AFR heads but I was going by what probe told me. Good to know that they don't need to be flycut. my appologies for misinfo...

Modular2v said:
well im pretty sure im going with the twisted wedges as they are very well within my price range. Im just scared to death about putting them on and the car running slower though :(

That shouldnt happen.The only thing your old heads got over the TFS is they would probably have higher compression,sense you had them milled.

I say go for it,take them a part and have them checked like Rick said,but also this gives you a little time to do some casting clean-up and bowl blending,the TW's resopnd well to that little stuff.

Answers in bold. Now please, oh please lay off my dick from now on.

5spd GT said:
466rwhp isn't just due to the heads.

Grn92lx - So you think know with a 3 in. exhaust that you will dyno 400rwhp?...not to long ago you were saying 370rwhp. Get it on a dyno and shut everyone up. It gets rid of all this "what if"...

I never said 370hp. I could care less what my car dyno's. Why would I waste $100+ and time out of my day to dyno it?? Unless you want to pay for it, then i'll consider it, but even then I still probably wouldn't.

If money were no object...why would you get a cheap set of Vic Jr.'s? Why not go with the "best"?

Because they would be the "best" for what I am looking for. What would be the best in your eyes?

I would listen to the engine builder for his suggestion. AFR 185's or better.

Vic Jr's are old school. Yes they are a good bang for the buck. That doesn't mean they are the best head.

There is no such thing as a "BEST HEAD" There are ideal heads for certian combos, Hence the name of my thread!!!!!! The best head is based on your budget and your existing combination! I would love to have a set of yates or blue thunder heads on a solid roller , high compression 432 stroker with a dartblock and titanium valves but it is not in my budget and a set of yates heads would just be silly on 6500rpm 331 with the cam i have. . . . . Sorry for the rant but as you can see the "best head" varies from application to application

Modular2v said:
There is no such thing as a "BEST HEAD" There are ideal heads for certian combos, Hence the name of my thread!!!!!! . . . . . Sorry for the rant but as you can see the "best head" varies from application to application

Yup!!

Some just don't get it. :nonono:

Grn92lx - Yes you have said, 370rwhp. I have seen it on numerous occassions. I have a good memory. You just like to fib;) Check post #11:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=637139&highlight=dyno

That was just a real quick search, I know not long before that you mentioned 370rwhp, on more than one occassion.

Kind of like how you "were" shifting at 6,400 rpm, and then 6,700 rpm, and now you are at 6,800 rpm...

I'm sure this next month you will be hitting 7,000 rpm "easy"...;)

How is the Vic Jr. what you are looking for...if money is no option. Would you not want the best head that you see fit? How would the Vic Jr. be it (if money is no option) compared to a 185 or a 205?

I think for a real street 331/347...a touched up AFR 185 would be the best head, if money was no option.

5spd GT said:
Grn92lx - Yes you have said, 370rwhp. I have seen it on numerous occassions. I have a good memory. You just like to fib;) Check post #11:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=637139&highlight=dyno

That was just a real quick search, I know not long before that you mentioned 370rwhp, on more than one occassion.

Kind of like how you "were" shifting at 6,400 rpm, and then 6,700 rpm, and now you are at 6,800 rpm...

I'm sure this next month you will be hitting 7,000 rpm "easy"...;)

How is the Vic Jr. what you are looking for...if money is no option. Would you not want the best head that you see fit? How would the Vic Jr. be it (if money is no option) compared to a 185 or a 205?

I think for a real street 331/347...a touched up AFR 185 would be the best head, if money was no option.

I read post # 11, it said 375-400rwhp. Like I said, when did I ever say 370???? :shrug:

I do not have to keep buckering back and forth with you ad to why I would choose the victor jr's. If it had to be an afr head, I would use the 205's hands down. I just can not justify $2,000 for a cylinder head (including spring upgrade), when a $1200 head + springs will easily hit my goal. Though I would also take a look at a set of 195cc canfields too.

settle down ya'll lol! How about i just start taking donations and i will put motor combos together with all types of different cylinder heads and ill get to see which one is the per say "best" haha :)

The new CNC ported TFS 185's will beat the crap out of the AFR 185's any day,and stay even with the AFR 205's.

Therfore I conclude that TFS kicks AFR's ass.

:D

Actualy,Im just messing around,but really stop drooling over one head,look at all the choises and pick the one that suits you best,and budget is ALWAYS a factor.

bluevenom867 said:
The new CNC ported TFS 185's will beat the crap out of the AFR 185's any day,and stay even with the AFR 205's.

Therfore I conclude that TFS kicks AFR's ass.

:D

Actualy,Im just messing around,but really stop drooling over one head,look at all the choises and pick the one that suits you best,and budget is ALWAYS a factor.
exactly! budget is unfortunately always a factor. . . . part of me wants to drop the cash while i have it and the other part says , "Hey dumb a$$! You graduate from college in a yr, hold onto the money and wait till you get a good paying full time job, just run what you have now since you are almost running 10s on a production head" :shrug:

Grn92LX said:
I read post # 11, it said 375-400rwhp. Like I said, when did I ever say 370???? :shrug:

I do not have to keep buckering back and forth with you ad to why I would choose the victor jr's. If it had to be an afr head, I would use the 205's hands down. I just can not justify $2,000 for a cylinder head (including spring upgrade), when a $1200 head + springs will easily hit my goal. Though I would also take a look at a set of 195cc canfields too.

Like I said, and I repeat...I did a quick search and came up with something recent. You have said it. You just keep blowing things up with your car. Reved at this and now it revs at that. Would dyno this and now would dyno that. With no changes:p

Fortunatly for you and me, I have a better memory:nice:

AFR 185 won't cost you $2,000.

bluevenom867 said:

8800rpm, 14:1, 3100lbs, 275/60 MT's DR's, stock style suspension

The entire combo from pan to intake may soon be available. Only reason it is going, is we want to build a larger cube motor, this motor is a very nice piece with all the tricks.

650 Plus HP Ford 345ci N/A Motor

A4 block .060 Block has lots of work done to it..
Sony Bryant Billet Crank, lots of work
GRP Alum. Rods, full custom
Diamond full custom pistons. True 14:1
.043, .043, 3mm Rings
Canton 7 Quart Pan
Coated Main bearings
Roller Cam Bearings
Custom Comp Solid Roller Cam 700+ lift
Ported TFS Twisted Wedge Heads. Ti 2.05 Intake, Ti 1.60 exhaust
Smith Brothers Pushrods
Jesel 1.6 Roller Rockers
Comp Cams Springs
Ti retainers
Fully Ported Victor Intake
Sheet Metal Valve Covers
Innovators West Balancer w/ Crank Trigger

For more information: [email protected]

I'll back Mike up, I think with a good tune and the exhaust 375-400RWHP is very possible and quite frankly expected.

The reason I am not a huge Vic Jr fan is even when they are fully ported they are not as good as some other box heads out. They are Ok but they need a little work out of the box IMO, valve job, exhaust and intake work. Now with that being said, I have made 400RWHP with the Vic Jr on a 302 with the improvement I listed above and a little rpm, I used a Holley Systemax II intake as well. The cam profile is crucial....

I never disputed that he might not get the 370rwhp or more. I'm talking about how things keep getting larger.

Like when Grn revs it up 200 rpm per month and post it like it is nothing. It just over a period of time.

I never doubted that his car might put that power out. More to it than that.

5spd GT said:
I never disputed that he might not get the 370rwhp or more. I'm talking about how things keep getting larger.

Like when Grn revs it up 200 rpm per month and post it like it is nothing. It just over a period of time.

I never doubted that his car might put that power out. More to it than that.

I'm sure that we recently had a discussion about posts like this. What's it to you anyway? Now all the sudden you know his combo better than he does?

Drop it.