If I autocross my stock 89 Convt will I break it?

madonionrs

Jun 7, 2003
Buffalo NY
I have a stock 89 GT Convt AOD

Only bolt ons like 3.73s exaust (new wheels 17x10.5 in the back 275x45 in the rear / 17x9 245x45 in the front)

How likely will it be that I will break my car if I autocross it? I now that this is a broad question. I'm not worried about springs, shocks and such (cheaper, gen matinence replacement)

I only plan to do it once or twice.

• Sponsors (?)

I have some friends who auto cross. From what they have told me breaking things is very likley, esp when you are first learning, even if your in a modifed car. My bf managed to blow the tranny and somthing else cant rember what in his porshe learning to autocross

I've autocrossed my stock 89 GT, I didn't break anything on the first time, but I do have subframe connectors to reduce chassis flex. Another thing is...when I was cornering at the limit I could definately feel the axle sliding back and forth a few inches, which panhard bars are supposed to fix... but any mods done to your car can change your car class in autocross, it's hard to mod and stay in a class you can compete in. I'm most paranoid about tie rod ends and the little things like bushings that come stock, because they are just rubber and after 15 years of driving they are almost in pieces....so were my front swaybar bushings when I replaced them with urethane bushings a month ago.

I would worry about tweaking your chassis. You should get some subframe connectors at least and a roll cage will really help stiffen up your frame if it suits you. Next weakest link is probably the tranny. Definately put an oil cooler on it will at least last a bit longer.
Kevin

Autocrossing with an Auto is not as good as with a 5-spd, generally, you stay in one gear. For me I stay in 2nd all the time throught the entire course, and ride way up into the RPMs, shifting is useless. Of course it all depends on the track too...If you still want to do it, get a tranny cooler first, or your probably dump fluid all over the place. I do it just for fun. i dont' compete or anything, I'm sure my car would be outrageously classed.

ive done some autocrossing in my stang, mostly in my old 280zx and that thing had the worst body role ill tell you what. but i never broke anything doing it in eather cars. howerver my dad blew the motor in his wifes 2002 mustang gt. least it was coverd.