If I buy a Tuner do I need Dyno?

I'm very confused about those 2...Isn't Dyno the same thing as a turner but instead of you doing the tunning its done by a professional? So if I get a professional tune via email or with the turner I buy (taking into consideration all my mods) then I'm accomplishing the same thing as taking it to a dyno correct?

• Sponsors (?)

Hopefully this will help.

With a dyno tune, you have a professional looking at live data your car is feeding out to him. He can dial in any specific parameter than he needs to according to the feedback he is getting during the tuning process. This is the most reliable way to tune a car as you can adjust any parameter that needs it.

With a handheld tuner, you are mailed a "canned" or custom tune. The canned tunes are just baseline tunes that "normally" work for your make/model car. They rarley do much, and you are better off using your user end tuning abilities (to modify fuel/spark) to squeeze the most out of them.

A custom order tune on a handheld tuner is better, as you tell the company what modifications you have, and what your plans are. They will create a tune that suits them best, and send it to you. They are USUALLY accurate, but not always.

If you have a ton of mods, a custom dyno tune is best.

If you want a little bang for the buck than a mail order tune will suffice.

Well all I'm planning to have in the car when I do the tune is:

Stock headers with O/R H Pipe (still deciding on brand)
Flowmaster Weld ins (done)
4.10 Gears (already have)
Jmod shift kit with B&M Tranny Cooler (already have)
JLT Cold Air intake (already have)
75mm MAF and Trickflow or PP Plenum (still deciding on brand)
Eibach Loweing springs (done)

So you think a custom tune with a turner should be enough? or take it to a dyno?

I'm not building a track car, its my daily driver, but I want a fast street racer.

a custom tune is the way to go, imo. most custom tuners(like the one in my sig) tunes your car off datalogs you e-mail to him and in return e-mails a tune back and this process continues till it's right. custom tunes deal with part throttle driveability(real world driving)also,which is important on a dd. dyno's are great for wot tuning but don't do much for part throttle. with a wide band a custom tuner can do just as well at wot and in the real world(street)

What complete tuner is recommended? My car was built by someone else and i do not know much about it. I have the sct multi program chip however and want to dyno it to make sure everything is ok still

What complete tuner is recommended? My car was built by someone else and i do not know much about it. I have the sct multi program chip however and want to dyno it to make sure everything is ok still

you can call SCT and upgrade to the Pro Racer Package. the only thing a dyno is going to tell you that you can't do on the street is the horsepower you are making. get a wideband 02 and you're all set.