if you could go back to january of 73....

• Sponsors (?)

I dunno about a 'full frame' as it will start adding tonnage to the curb weight of an already really light car. But either a subframe connector option or something similiar would be nice.

If ANY frame work should have been done it should have been in the engine bay, either widening the frame for a better fit with the V8 or at least angle out the frame wider aft of the x-member for adequate exh clearances.:nice:

how about ensuring that aftermarket companies would have parts made?

fuse box placement
disc brakes
5 lug
improved visor tip design
functional hood scoops
bigger glove box
factory rear speakers

that's just for starters........i just started pulling the carpet out, and I can only really remember the main things I love about the car, as opposed to what I disliked.

"The gas cap. The Mustang II would look better with a Bullet type fuel cap. Thats my no#1 dislike of the II exterior."

I agree the gas cap is hideous. I would have preferred a gas cap behind a filler door.

Realmongo said:
Based it on the Maverick platform instead of the Pinto and offered it with both a 302 and 351W.

I was thinking that.

I think the Maveric would have had to been changed too much, and it would have been more of the 60's tech where the Pinto was a step forward.

One technicality: in January 73 the Mustang II design would have been basically finished and tooling well under way. The Mustang II hit showrooms in September 73, so there would be no time to enlarge the trans tunnel, widen the engine bay, change platforms, etc. These kind of changes would have a major impact on when the car would be ready for production, and would have cost Ford millions of dollars in rework & lost revenue.

BTW, during Mustang II development there were two projects being worked on in parallel. One was based on a shortened Maverick platform and another on a stretched Pinto. In July 1971 the decision was made to go with the Pinto version.

Vince said:
One technicality: in January 73 the Mustang II design would have been basically finished and tooling well under way. The Mustang II hit showrooms in September 73, so there would be no time to enlarge the trans tunnel, widen the engine bay, change platforms, etc. These kind of changes would have a major impact on when the car would be ready for production, and would have cost Ford millions of dollars in rework & lost revenue.

BTW, during Mustang II development there were two projects being worked on in parallel. One was based on a shortened Maverick platform and another on a stretched Pinto. In July 1971 the decision was made to go with the Pinto version.

:Zip2: mr. partypooper

Forum Rebel:D

Top ten things I would change about the II.
1.Five Bolt 14X7" Magnum 500's
(they were practically on everything else Ford made!)
2.Gas filler behind the licence plate
3.Maverick or Pinto door handles (The II has F100 door handles!)
4.Chrome steel bumpers
5.A convertable option
6.Better rearview mirrors
7.True duel exhaust with Fox 5.0l style exhaust tips.
8.Standard un-kill-able posi for the 8"
9.Shaker hood scoop
10.Mesh head rest Recaro's stolen from the future 79 pace car!

If Ford had done all those things what the hell would I have done with all my free time??:shrug:

1badII said:
I like the II handles.:shrug:

Yeah, me too, they fit the II well. And they're easy to open, even when covered with ice. (unlike those push button types, which get stuck)

On a big lifted truck, however, they're not as comfortable, because reaching up high and then having to lift even higher to open the door, kinda sucks.

Alright, alright. Geez, tough crowd.

OK, how about this... I would tell the engineers the car was too heavy and they needed to trim at least 200 lbs..and all that weight should come off the front end since the car is nose-heavy.