I'm sick of my TR-3650.

silvrgt

Dec 2, 2004
Baltimore, MD
It's weak, noisy, shifts like ass. I'm done with it. Whats a transmission I could swap in its place that would be capable of handling over 400rwhp? And how much? And how much would the install be? Also, whatever things would need to be replaced? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

silvrgt said:
It's weak, noisy, shifts like ass. I'm done with it. Whats a transmission I could swap in its place that would be capable of handling over 400rwhp? And how much? And how much would the install be? Also, whatever things would need to be replaced? Thanks.

if u don't like TR3650, try living with T-45....:notnice:

would like to go with TKO myself, but don't know as to what is involved to do that

I've seen 3 GT's swap in T56's....and all working with no issues.

Another friend of mine installed a TKO600 in his GT....no issues.

I say get an MGW shifter. It's a start, and it's cheaper, and that should take care of your noise and shifting issues. It'll make it a harder more direct shift, but at least give it a shot. You can always sell it if you want a new tranny after it.

silvrgt said:

I've gotta agree...to a degree. It is very noisy and I HATE 5th gear. When I'm getting on it, I love the closeness of 2nd-4th--they really keep you in the powerband. With 3:73 gears 4th is good to about 110, then you hit 5th and it falls on it's face. I understand the point of a cruising gear, but not in 5th in a muscle car. But hey, I guess I should have saved up the extra $10G and got the Cobra then all would be happy. :bang: Pretty sad when there are more Volkswagens coming with 6-speeds (6th being the true cruising gear).

Spreadman said:
I've seen 3 GT's swap in T56's....and all working with no issues.

Another friend of mine installed a TKO600 in his GT....no issues.

I say get an MGW shifter. It's a start, and it's cheaper, and that should take care of your noise and shifting issues. It'll make it a harder more direct shift, but at least give it a shot. You can always sell it if you want a new tranny after it.

Already got one. Still clunky and notchy between gears. And 3rd sometimes hits a brick wall. I know 2 guys who tried to swap in T-56s. They still don't have everything right.

CRZYHRSGT said:
I've gotta agree...to a degree. It is very noisy and I HATE 5th gear. When I'm getting on it, I love the closeness of 2nd-4th--they really keep you in the powerband. With 3:73 gears 4th is good to about 110, then you hit 5th and it falls on it's face. I understand the point of a cruising gear, but not in 5th in a muscle car. But hey, I guess I should have saved up the extra $10G and got the Cobra then all would be happy. :bang: Pretty sad when there are more Volkswagens coming with 6-speeds (6th being the true cruising gear).

You mean I'd have to shift 5th with a blower?!?!??!?!

BTW: I'm currently leaning toward the TKO 600...what all is involved to do the swap?

I say throw in a built 4r70w auto and run with all the manuals( similar mods of course), but if u want a manual, go with the viper t-56/4:30 gears and I doubt youd be disappointed! My friend is running the viper with 4:30's and nitto DR's and his car hauls!!! He has a 04 gt with full exhaust with comp cams/springs with other minor mods and runs 12.7's at 107 on a regular basis. His car makes me a bit jealous at times, but im slowly catching up. Hahaha!

silvrgt said:
Already got one. Still clunky and notchy between gears. And 3rd sometimes hits a brick wall. I know 2 guys who tried to swap in T-56s. They still don't have everything right.

If you haven't already replace your tranny fluid with Mobil 1 ATF. It's still a 3650 but will reduce some of the "notchiness".

big T said:
I say throw in a built 4r70w auto and run with all the manuals( similar mods of course), but if u want a manual, go with the viper t-56/4:30 gears and I doubt youd be disappointed! My friend is running the viper with 4:30's and nitto DR's and his car hauls!!! He has a 04 gt with full exhaust with comp cams/springs with other minor mods and runs 12.7's at 107 on a regular basis. His car makes me a bit jealous at times, but im slowly catching up. Hahaha!

No automatic for me. Though I'm sure you wont agree..I feel that unless you're a girl..or running faster than 10s..you don't need an automatic transmission in a 'sports car'. Tried using different tranny fluids blah blah blah. This thing has gotta go.

First of all, the 3650 is a very strong trans. Sure it's noisy and some have poor shifting but it's one of the strongest trannys ever used.

As for the idea of "switching to Mobil1" that's what it has stock fromt he facotry and it shifts like ass.
Use Royal Purple Synchromax and it helps quite a bit. An MGW shifter helps a lot too.
That's much cheaper than a swap.

The 3650 can handle over 400hp easily. You'll break clutch parts and axles before the trans if you know how to drive.

StangPro said:
First of all, the 3650 is a very strong trans. Sure it's noisy and some have poor shifting but it's one of the strongest trannys ever used.

As for the idea of "switching to Mobil1" that's what it has stock fromt he facotry and it shifts like ass.
Use Royal Purple Synchromax and it helps quite a bit. An MGW shifter helps a lot too.
That's much cheaper than a swap.

The 3650 can handle over 400hp easily. You'll break clutch parts and axles before the trans if you know how to drive.

I think I'll try that as my last effort before I go with a swap.