In need of a quality brake kit that wont break the bank

Tasandmnm

Jun 1, 2007
I have been looking at brake kits from quite a few places like Baer, I just can't afford to shell out that kind of money. Does anyone know of any good front and rear kits that are more reasonably priced that still offer good performance? I need them for a 1993 Cobra....

• Sponsors (?)

Try Stainless Steel Brake Corp. But quality usually costs $$. Cost can also change based of rotor size and # of pistons in caliper. So BIG brakes usually cost BIG $$.

What kind of setup do you want to go with, and how much are you looking to spend?

4 lug? 5 lug?

Cheapest way to do it would be piecing your stuff together. I did the equivalent of the Ford kit for less than half the price. I did however add drilled/slotted/zinc rotors and some other special things to which drove the price up a bit, but it was still about $800 less than the kit straight up. That's a lot cheaper, but not exactly "cheap" at still over a grand.

On the other hand, I know people who have done the 94+ GT/V6 swap for under $400. That is a very worthwhile swap too, but I'm just picky.

Well my 93 Cobra brakes are all stock (not sure what size) 4 lug. I want to keep my 4 lug set up since I do not know of any companies that make a good knock off 93 Cobra Wheel in 5 lug. And by cheap I mean in the $1000 area, but less is definitely better. I just can't aford to spend 2k plus just on brakes when I am already going to be spending about 2k on suspension and an undetermined amount on some restoration items (driver side door hinges, some billet interior parts to replace missing/broken items, etc) along with a few engine mods.

I am just not an expert on brakes in general so any links you guys can give me to kits or individual parts would be excellent, thanks :)

This is THE BEST brakes site out there. www.sn95brakes.com. I know it says SN95brakes, but it is a mega-site for all sorts of brake swap info for our cars. They list 4-lug info too. THis is where I went to gather info on parts that I needed for my swap, as well as to compare my options before ultimately deciding on what I did.

There are some good 4-lug setups out there, but I'm not sure how they compare to the 93 Cobra setup as it stands. But I do believe this site tells you what exactly is in your setup, and what you can do to bump it up a notch.

Better yet here's the direct link to the 4-lug info.

http://www.sn95brakes.com/4lug.php

and this is your 93 Cobra specs:
1993 Cobra: 11" front rotors (larger hat to match the rear offset), 60mm single piston caliper. 8.8" rear axle with 87-88 Tbird Turbo Coupe 10" disc brakes. 38mm rear pistons. 4 lug, different offset from GTs. Rear is .75" per side wider than GT/LX

definitely one of the less exciting upgrades out there :notnice:

No way!!

I enjoyed every bit of my 5-lug cobra disk upgrade. It was fun gathering parts and the end result was damn impressive.

I have the 13" setup on both my car, and just love it!! It makes it much more fun to drive when you can be more aggressive knowing you can actually stop your car

Definitely - I was skeptic about spending the money but I knew I'd have to do something to my brake setup make it match the rest of the car. I also wanted a rim design that only came in a 5-lug pattern, so I had to do it one way or another.

The regular SN95 swap wasn't enough for me so I doubled the price going big and flashy - and on my first drive I swear I knew it was worth it and I was about 500x more excited about having done it. I'm not sure how the Cobra's brakes feel but they can't be that much better than the GT's considering they have the same size caliper up front.

IMO, for a 93 cobra if you aren't going to 5 lug, i don't know if it's worth upgrading.
You can't see the brakes all that well through 93 cobra rims either, so for a visual it doesn't serve a purpose.
Good condition brakes on a fox are adequate, unless you are road racing, and since you have a cobra you already have rear discs.
If you are road racing, one of your only choices is going to be the baer kit in 4 lug.

Well to update this thread I ended up getting a front and rear cobra brake kit from PPI for $400 each with the slotted/cross drilled upgrade and the fittings I need for the passenger side. Also picked up some stainless steel lines, adj prop valve, and 94 mustang master cylinder from MM along with a set of front control arms (MM's front arms come with the SN95 lenth ball joints so I dont have to worry about usin spacers). And last I picked up rear brackets and fox length hardened axles from north race cars and some 1994 spindles/hubs from the classifieds here.

All said and done to do the 5 lug swap upgrading to front 13 inch cobra brakes and rear 12 inchers it cost about $1600 not including wheels/tires. Not exactly cheap but I did get high quality new parts and spent quite a bit less than the cost of the M2300 or Baer kits. I should have everything installed within a few weeks so wish me luck on the install!

I would keep your 93 MC and booster in place. They are one of, if not, the best combo out there. I am swapping a 93 booster/MC into my GT which has the 94-96 Cobra MC in place now.

I was going to do that originally but I talked toa guy at Maximum Motorsports and he told me that the pedal would be extremely touchy and not have much travel if I didn't upgrade to a 94 Master Cylinder and get an Adj. Prop Valave. I would much rather stick to the stock stuff and save a little bit of money, are you sure that this guy from MM is incorrect? The guys name is Jason Jacques.

He's not incorrect it's just personal preference. For a track type car he is correct, you don't want a touchy pedal. For my street car, I want it a bit softer than my current setup and the cobra booster/MC will do that.