Increasing Fuel Efficiency.

DKVL

Oct 12, 2008
I was wondering what is the best way to increase fuel efficiency?

I have a 2002 Mustang GT stock!

I am currently running at 16mpg, using octane level 87 (i believe this is recommended by ford).

I drive in LA. So, this may be a problem as well!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm pulling about 16-17 mpg in city driving, but running extremely rich. The best i've done in city driving was 20 - highway right now is about 22, best of 26. My car is an automatic with gears, so the gas mileage is highly dependent on engine RPM. A dyno tune can help with gas mileage if you're running rich - would help with evening out your power curve as well.

It's tough but the only way to really increase mileage is to modify your driving habits. I do a lot of hwy driving so I'm better able to make those adjustments. I dropped from cruising at 78 down to 65 and went from 20-21 to 23-24MPG. Slow starts from stops and shifting at 2 grand helps also. If I'm coming to a stop I put it in neutral and coast in. All minor deals but aside from the normal oil changes and tire inflation recommendations (big one if your low on pressure) there isn't a whole lot you can do.

A tire pressure note...we bought an 03 Expedition this past summer and took a trip to the in-laws in Mississippi (250 miles hwy) and then to the beach in Florida. I was getting about 16MPG on the way and was wondering why I was getting such bad hwy mileage when my 97 Expy would get 19-20 on the hwy. Checked the tire pressures (I assumed the dealer had done that) and they were all 7-10 lbs low. Got them to the right pressures and the mileage was at 20.

I have begin to change my driving habits as of this morning. I had set my tire pressures (front and back) to 30psi before, but i am contemplating on changing it to 32 for better fuel efficiency. Hopefully, this will help.

Thanks to All!

I have begin to change my driving habits as of this morning. I had set my tire pressures (front and back) to 30psi before, but i am contemplating on changing it to 32 for better fuel efficiency. Hopefully, this will help.

Thanks to All!

Bump it to 34-36 for even better fuel efficiency. Get the junk out of the trunk and keep your foot out of of the throttle. Nonetheless, I dont think most people buy a V8 for fuel economy. And with gas getting cheaper every day now, I'll be in the throttle even more...!:D

if you are getting 16mpg in a stockish GT, the best change you can make is how you drive.

i get 16mpg in my 3900 stall converter auto vert with a blower and 3880lb race weight doing mostly city driving.