Installed Hurst Comp Plus Shifter

How loud is the rattle from the Hurst? Do you have to yell at the passenger for them to hear you, or is it a muffled rattle, that a non obsessive person can deal with? I really like the looks of it, and I do enjoy that old car "feel" when shifting. :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

How loud is the rattle from the Hurst? Do you have to yell at the passenger for them to hear you, or is it a muffled rattle, that a non obsessive person can deal with? I really like the looks of it, and I do enjoy that old car "feel" when shifting. :SNSign:

dan, it really not that bad. I am still in love with the Hurst and would highly recommend it. Now, I have no experience with the MGW, so I cant compare the two, but I am very happy with the Hurst. I am sure this rattle can fairly easily be fixed, and if not, its really not that big of a deal. Like Walter said, it is only at high rpms and low gears... but... I suspect it rattles in high gears and high rpms, I have just never had the pleasure of getting above 4k rpm in anything over third gear. (it starts to rattle at probably 4.5-6k rpms.)

and anyway, you can still carry on a conversation with the rattle, its not very loud. I was just sort of getting annoyed with it because I am contemplating a new axelback and wanted to hear the stock axelback with no distractions at WOT.

EDIT-- I just did the MGW handbrake rattle fix and it seemed to do the trick. I did not have access to any dynamat, so I jimmy-jacked some out of silicon tape and gaffers tape. The rattle is almost completely gone, and I suspect would be completely gone if I were using actual dynamat.

Greydiesel -

I'm gonna get some Dynamat. What exactly do you do to the e-brake with it?

Go to the MGW website and download the video on how to install the MGW shifter. Early on in the video they discuss how using dynamat to fix the ebrake rattle. Here is a link.

Mustang Shift Handle

Click on the "install video" at the bottom of the page. You basically just:

1) remove the console (2 screws and lift up)
2) pull off the plastic cover around the e-brake (this is the most difficult step, I had to use a screwdriver to pry them apart)
3)put a triangle piece of dynamat over a circular hole, and a longer thin peice of dynamat on the bottom edge

Hope that helps, I would be curious to know if using actual dynamat does the trick 100%

Well I got it installed! It looks and shifts great! I couldn't locate any single Dynamat pieces. The only way I could get one was to buy A huge package of them for $100:nonono: I'm certainly not going to do that! The only rattle that the shifter makes is when I'm downshifting into 3rd from a high rpm. I can live with it. I love that tight, tough shift it has. reminds me of my 72 Nova I had in high school. I like my Stang much better than the Nova! Thanks Diesel for helping me choose the right shifter!

mine.....

shifterpic.jpg

my neighbors....

shifterpic003.jpg

Attachments

• shifterpic.jpg
    shifterpic.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 85
  • shifterpic003.jpg
    shifterpic003.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 99
Brilliant.

My Hurst loosened up a bit from when I first installed it. It is still tight, but not as tough, if that makes sence. You dont have to push as hard, but the throws are the same distance. It also makes less noise than when it was first installed.

Update on the e-brake rattle fix: the gaffers/silicone tape I put together have now completely solves the rattle problem. I am not sure why it improved over time, but there is no rattle what-so-ever. I am thinking the tape may have moved into a better position as I drove it due to warmer temps and vibrations.

Anyhow... Hurst. Rock! :rock:

What is your neighbors? A 69?

yep 69 Mach 1. I'm trying to get him to put headers and a decent exhaust on it. He wont budge because he's an originality freak. It's a Windsor motor with original carb, points ignition, etc. I want to buy it, but he won't sell it.:(

P. S. - What is gaffer's tape?

cool. I would love to experience a 69 now that I am familiar with the s197. I am curious how they are different.

Gaffers tape is very similiar to duct tape, but made of black cloth... I have it because I am a photographer, and you can tape stuff up with it, and it will dissapear into a black background. But, I would recommend anyone go out and buy it instead of duct tape. No matter what your taping, a matte black finish is always nicer than the grey gloss finish of duct tape. :rolleyes:

Gaffers Tapes, 2" Standard quality Gaffers Tape - $10 @Tapestockonline.com

It is just what I had lying around. Duct tape would also work well, I would assume. I think the key is to get plenty of tape around the bottom of the e-brake. I think the rattle comes from the metal of the e-brake vibrating against the metal of console where it rests on, so you just want to put something between the two that will absorb the vibration without making any noise.

The 69 is quite a bit different than the S197. The really cool thing is seeing everyone freak out when you drive up. What's funny is the reaction you get from all the teenage ricers. They look at it like, "WTF"! like it's some kind of spaceship. The S197 is more popular with the younger girls, and of course it handles better and accelerates faster. I would love to get my hands on the 69. I'd put on a set of killer aluminum heads, and a nasty solid lifter cam with no less than .500 lift. Hooker super comp headers and Flowmaster single chamber mufflers would complete the package. The really awesome thing about the S197 is it's close resemblance to the 69. It's like having an old-new car but with all the comfort and amenities. It's the pefect car for me.

I found a stylish $10 fix for the Hurst rattle.......

t-handle037.jpg

The Hurst T handle with brushed finish seems to stop the shifter rattle....

View attachment 289434

It's on Ebay for $10 a pop. IMO it feels better than the ball. The brushed finish even matches the boot trim ring on the console. The seller on ebay is rebelperformance. This handle retails for over $30. He's also selling the whole shifter assembly for $150 w/free shipping.