Installed New Power Steering Rack, Now Big Tire Rub..

Any idea why car would sit a little lower on the front now? The k member was removed to change the oil pan then reinstalled. Could that be why? The tolerance was always close but now un driveable.

Or should I just go to stock ride height and say screw it?

• Sponsors (?)

Any idea why car would sit a little lower on the front now? The k member was removed to change the oil pan then reinstalled. Could that be why? The tolerance was always close but now un driveable.

Or should I just go to stock ride height and say screw it?

The only thing I can think of is they left out the spring isolators on the top when they put the springs back in.

As far as going back to stock that's definitely a option and free. You could also try different springs. I really like my Steeda springs with poly isolators. I run 245s on the front and have no rubbing with them and the ride is pretty decent.

Have you checked camber/caster?
Thats the only variable I can think of. Didn't go back and look but is it both sides? If not k member could be off to one side.
Nothing different from removal to install right? Meaning changed parts. Just fixed oil pan.

Have you checked camber/caster?
Thats the only variable I can think of. Didn't go back and look but is it both sides? If not k member could be off to one side.
Nothing different from removal to install right? Meaning changed parts. Just fixed oil pan.

K member was taken off to remove oil pan, changed oil system, installed new rack and pinion, starter. Motor mounts. k member was fully disassembled cleaned. And reassembled. Everything else is the same parts that came off. Minus the lower isolators were shot so I did not have them installed back in. And sway bar has not been put back in.

I have not had a front end alignment done yet.

Last edited:
The lower isolators are what installs under your spring?
A front-end shop will/should tell you alot about what is going on, just as a point of reference, if you can get a carpenters square, the big one that is about 18" or longer and shaped like an L, put it against your wheel/tire and flat concrete and that will tell you if your wheel/tire is tilted out at the top.

The lower isolators are what installs under your spring?
A front-end shop will/should tell you alot about what is going on, just as a point of reference, if you can get a carpenters square, the big one that is about 18" or longer and shaped like an L, put it against your wheel/tire and flat concrete and that will tell you if your wheel/tire is tilted out at the top.

So take it for alignment and sway bar installed before guessing anymore?

K member was taken off to remove oil pan, changed oil system, installed new rack and pinion, starter. Motor mounts. k member was fully disassembled cleaned. And reassembled. Everything else is the same parts that came off. Minus the lower isolators were shot so I did not have them installed back in. And sway bar has not been put back in.

I have not had a front end alignment done yet.

Well the lack of lower isolators explain why it's setting lower. I would replace them and then have it lined up.

Your sway helps stabilize the front of the car when turning and cornering, replace the sway bar bushings and see if it stops rubbing when you turn. Also did you replace the bushings on the steering rack they are prone to get loose and soft.

Spring isolators can account for at least 1/4"+ of ride height. Also if your alignment is off enough the ride height could change once it's properly setup. Get this taken care of before anything else.