installing monster tach

Chris6050

Founding Member
Jul 14, 2000
Nazareth, PA
Ok, I just got an autometer monster tach for x-mas and I'm really not sure how to install. I have a few questions:

1. Does it make it easier, for routing the wires and what-not, installing it on the side by the defroster and hazard lights or on the shelf like above the a/c controls, ect..?

2. How do you get to the 12v dash lighting for the white wire and 12v ingnition switch for the red wire? Do you have to tear the dash apart in order to reach them? I know I have to drill a hole in the dash to get the black and green wires through the firewall to the batter and the coil, but I don't know how to get to the other 2 things.

Thanks for your help guys/girls, I'm not very good when it comes to wiring.

-Chris

• Sponsors (?)

I hooked my white wire to the dash light wire on the headlight switch. I have been told you can go to that fuse in the box though. I used a test light and found the one that dims it with the dashlights and stuck a spade connector in the back of the switch. I know they come with directions. Mine said to connect the ground to the neg batt terminal to reduce interference. You can get 12v ignition from most any wire that is hot only with the key on, dont run it to a constant power source or it will drain the batt. Go get a test light and have at it. Get some small cable ties and an assortment of connectors. Make sure connections are real secure and you will be OK. Just dissconnect the batt first, that will keep sparks and smoke to a minimum.

u do not need to drill thru the dash except for mounting purposes....i ran the white (light) wire to the back of my a/c controls to get the illumination (they are teh blue wires with teh red stripe)....and i tapped into the ground for my radio (i just did this today so i am gonna see if thatll work, if not i gotta find a better place.) i dn t think u have to go all the way to teh battery for the ground. thats y only the green one is really long....and the red wire i just pinched it behind the #11 fuse in teh fuse box...ive seen some people do this...but i might change that a tap into the remote turn on wire behind my stereo. (bluw wire). so u dont have to drill the dash at all except 2 holes for mounting...u DONT need to drill to run wires. good luck

I hit all the wires on the switches and got the tach signal from the cluster. Just be smart and design a bracket so you can pull the damn thing back out of the car so it doesn't get stolen while parked. Too many cars get windows busted over a dang tach. Sold a pass side last weekend because of a silver sport comp that was screaming 'steal me, steal me, steal me'. Guy also needs a new dash because the idiots ripped it up when they grabbed the tach. Want that to be you?

Jamie

Thanks a lot guys, you've really helped me out here. I'll probably get to it tomorrow. Ranchero5.0, I was planning on doing some kind of bracket so I could remove it. A friend of mine had his stolen a couple years ago. He had a $1k stereo in his car also, but all they took was the tach, go figure.

i just installed my autogage monster tach with this help...thanks... white wire to ac controls, red wire to fuse #11, and i wired the green directly to the neg. on the coil as it was getting dark and i didnt want to take apart the dash...