Installing new cam...TDC?

eodscott

Jun 12, 2006
I'm installing a new cam and I'm at the point to pull off the timing chain cover. I have the rocker arms off. Can I get TDC at this point. I need TDC to put the cam in right? If so how do I do that? Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey, I'm also in the middle of a cam swap and head gasket change, and coincidently I'm at the very same exact spot as you are, with the waterpump off but the timing cover still on. Can i ask you something; Is it mandatory to take the rocker arms off, or is that something that you did for other reasons. I am fairly mechanically inclined, being a C-level technician and all, but i never heard of that as a mandatory step in order to install a new camshaft. Also, once the timing cover comes off, how do i take out the old cam? Is there a special tool or method to grip the camshaft with to pull it out, and do i twist while pulling out the cam, or just pull it straight out? Any advice would be priceless....

Also, Jay Allen (the cam grinder I chose) Told me that I would need two tools.
1. A dial-indicator, which i am fairly familiar with, and;
2. A piston-stop, this i have NO CLUE what it is, and why it is mandatory. Can anyone out there enlighten me, on this tool, and why/how it is used on a cam swap?

this is my first swap also. From what I understand you are going to have to take the roller rockers off so you can take out the pushrods and lift the roller lifters off of the cam. I have the timining chain dots lined up at 12'0clock. Is that TDC?? anyone? Thanks.

eodscott said:
this is my first swap also. From what I understand you are going to have to take the roller rockers off so you can take out the pushrods and lift the roller lifters off of the cam. I have the timining chain dots lined up at 12'0clock. Is that TDC?? anyone? Thanks.

pull the number one spark plug. get a pencil and stick it in and see if you feel the piston. if the piston is at the top you are at TDC. if not remove the chain and rotate the crank 360* and the piston should be at the top.

Yes, all the rockers,pushrods and lifters MUST be removed. When I pull a cam out I remove the cam gear from the timing chain assembly a reinstall it to the cam after you remove the cam bump plate. This gives you something to hold when pulling the cam out. Be VERY careful and smooth when sliding the cam out and do not allow it to bounce and bang around, as you can scar your soft cam bearings and line yourself up for a world of hurt. As far as finding tdc, I usually pull #1 spark plug and insert a wood dowel or equivelent (make sure it's too long to fall in!) and turn the crank until you feel the piston,with the dowel, reach the very top. Also, when you install the new cam line up the dots on the cam and crank gear, cam at 6 o'clock and crank at 12 0'clock. The metal dowel on the end of the cam should only allow you to install the gear in one orientation, and if I were you install the crank gear at 0deg, don't attempt to degree your camshaft.