Mach 1 Intake Flow Comparison

I have an aluminum block 4.6L DOHC. I want to do a custom hidden twinturbo set-up, I was wondering if the Mach 1 Ram Air intake outflowed the NA 99 Cobra intake? I really like the shaker and ram air that the Mach 1 motor does. Or should I go aftermarket if I can find one (Don't know of one for the DOHC motor)? I'm looking to spend about $6k - $8k on the motor plus tuning. I already have turbos.

• Sponsors (?)

As far as the CAI intake is concerned, from throttle body to fender they are essentially the same but the Mach has a little extra cool air to the filter via the Ram Air set up. Though, the Ram Air part of the intake is really more for show, people have seen decent gaines by making the intake non function and goin with just a JLT CAI/RAI setup. I kept my functional though, mostly for looks and coolness factor.

I'm not sure other then that what is different between the '99 and Mach as far as intake manifolds go.

If I were to raise it up using the PHP intake spacer or 2, like GaPonyFarm said, it would actually work. I've seen this problem before, my 69 Buick is a Ram Air car, but the inlets are to low to be effective because the wind really doesn't flow in that area. But if you were to raise the scoop itself maybe an inch, you should see noticable gains from rammed induction. If I remember corectly, you'd have to have the scoop at least 1.75 inches above the seated surface (hood) to have any sort of functionality. 3" tall scoops on Stage 2 Buicks (VERY RARE, only 75) were functional as well as Mailbox hoodscoops on 442 (but they were seated closer to the front withless wind lift). I just thought it would be cool to utilize the ram air, but it seems for right now it needs a little more aftermarket research and products to be a huge HP addition. But they still look dead sexy.

Well the scoop itself does work but the fact that the air goes down to the airbox and then back up to the TB limits the "RAM AIR" effect itself, but it does definitly draw air in form the shaker scoop, I know that for a fact.

The intake spacer works more because it increase the length of the intake runners on the intake manifold, not so much because it raises the shaker scoop.