Intake Manifolds

GMJ91

Sep 7, 2005
Maryland
What do you guys think of the new SSI upper and lower intake by BBK ? What about the GT-40 upper and lower intake ? Which one is better ? I was going to go with the "cobra" intake until I found out it is now made oversea's and is now having installation problems. Any advise anybody has would be great. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Alright, I know who this guy is and here is his goal: He wants to beat me. That is his only goal. He wants to dip into the 12s on street tires. He bought a bone stock 91 LX. It still had the air silencer in it. He has had it for about a month and it's his third mustang. He will be running a ZEX nitrous kit with a 125 shot.

His mods so far are:

373 gears
electric fan
Ford motorsport shorty headers
MAC H-pipe
flowmaster exhaust
rebuilt tranny
B&M ripper shifter
Ford motorsport aluminum radiator
Aluminum driveshaft
Ford motorsport clutch
MAC cold air intake
A/C eliminator kit
short belt

He has gotten all this within the last 2 weeks. He wants the BBK intake but can't get it. No one has it and he can't get it until next month.

I run a Trickflow Trackheat Intake, but I told him that the Holley SysteMAX is probably better. I told him that the GT 40 intake might be good but the technology is a decade old. Times have changed since we had our first mustangs in the early 90s.
Anyone with any good info...could you please help him!

With out heads and cam, the holley is not ideal. I like the edelbrock performer or the tfs street heat for this application.

Now, where do you see yourself down the road? Do you plan on a good heads/cam package? Are you willing to spin it higher and make 'big' power with this heads/cam package if you do one?

Thanks for everyone's help. I want the new BBK intake and I might be able to get one as soon as next week !! Does anyone know anything about the new SSI intake, good or bad please let me know. I need to make a good choice because as you now know my goal is to crush that slow 90 blue coupe. LOL.... Thanks Mazer boy !!

Don't expect much from an intake alone. The SSI or Performer/gt40 all perform similarly. But your looking in the right direction:nice: Either one will work. I personally have the Performer.

A couple of months back Mucsle Mustangs did an intake test with all the popular street level intakes against the new BBK SSI. The SSI came out on top with the GT-40 2nd, and the performer 3rd. The SSI made more power up top but gave up some torque to the other 2 intakes down low. Either way I dont think the SSI lived up to the hype.

GMJ91 said:
What do you guys think of the new SSI upper and lower intake by BBK ? What about the GT-40 upper and lower intake ? Which one is better ? I was going to go with the "cobra" intake until I found out it is now made oversea's and is now having installation problems. Any advise anybody has would be great. Thanks

I haven't seen a reason to buy it based on power - if youy like the way it looks and the fact it's made here - buy it.

Yes it looks cool...really cool....and it comes with new rails and a FPR too.....if in fact it flows a little better, it seems worth the price, but i guess someone's gotta buy it first...if only i had the dough. I guess the good ol' Cobra intake will suffice.

90bluecoupe said:
................I told him that the GT 40 intake might be good but the technology is a decade old. Times have changed since we had our first mustangs in the early 90s.

Old technology doesn't always equal poorer performance. The GT40 intake is an old design. Mayeb the oldest still living design. And in test after test it is still in the hunt for the top spot. And it has repeatadly beat all comers for lowend torque production, which is extremely importent despite what some people "think" they know. And it's top end horsepower is within a couple hp usually, if all other parameters are the same. I posted numbers from the best intake comparison published yet (IMO) on the subject in another thread and I also averaged some numbers. Results were the GT40 is still impressive after all these years. More so than many of it competitors.

As for the SSI, I suspect it'll shine as a power adder intake...ie supercharger or turbo intake.

Shrug.. Im going to get flamed here.. but that SSI looks bogus. The air goes in hits a wall then is seperated two ways.

Ill leave it at that. The good part, its seperated from the begining..less fighting for air. The bad part, it has to hit a perpendicular wall comming from a good velocity... someone is bound to say yea so does the TFS and Edel.. yea I agree..they both have to hit a wall..but these other designs have more flow and general common sense into keeping the velocity. The TFS moreso than the edel.

The design theory isnt bad..just not fully there.

Go with the Edel design, I have TFS intakes...but I think out of all of them.. the Edel Design is the overall best design. Who ports the TFS intakes? Many port the Edel. There are endless test..but Usually the GT40series makes the most Torque and the Edel and TFS designs fight for the top HP... Now the systemax is a different level...(I think anway).

Tho I think tmoss has been getting alot of good reviews from the GT40series w/ ported lower. You get the Torque and then open up the runners to compete with the other designs for HP.

tjm73 said:
Old technology doesn't always equal poorer performance. The GT40 intake is an old design. Mayeb the oldest still living design. And in test after test it is still in the hunt for the top spot. And it has repeatadly beat all comers for lowend torque production, which is extremely importent despite what some people "think" they know. And it's top end horsepower is within a couple hp usually, if all other parameters are the same. I posted numbers from the best intake comparison published yet (IMO) on the subject in another thread and I also averaged some numbers. Results were the GT40 is still impressive after all these years. More so than many of it competitors.

As for the SSI, I suspect it'll shine as a power adder intake...ie supercharger or turbo intake.

Well said, old technology doesn't always equal poorer performance. I told a machine shop guy i was doing the edelbrock heads, cobra intake, and e cam, he said that everything i was doing was out dated, well, as far as my wallet says, that combo will still give me a hell of alot more power than stock, and they all work really well..... He said the e cam is out dated, in fact it is, but it FITS my combo, i don't want a huge lift or lengthy duration, i just wanted a simple cam, its all about what you like, and the BBK intake, it is a beautiful thing... Since I have a paint shop, i'd get that intake if the funds allowed, and i'd paint the twin plenum crazy w/ metal flake, maybe gold metal flake, or just maybe to match the rest of my engine bay... nicely!!! THAT is a beautiful intake in my opinion... and if it fits you combo, than it doesn't matter!!!!

Paul Perreca