Is Ford really taking a production break over the holidays ???

Everyone needs a break. Especially these people that are building all the great Ford products. Relax and enjoy the holidays, your Stang will come and you will be happy!

• Sponsors (?)

Ok let's just act as if the factory assembly line workers aren't human beings and they aren't allowed to go on a holiday break because none of them have families, they don't count as people because people need to get their cars. Wait a little extra, think about what you are saying. Those workers are normal people to who need breaks and who have families. How would you feel if someone said you have to work on the holidays?

Hey, my uncle waited 40 years for his '32 ford to be done, you guys can wait two weeks for your '05 Ford.

Attachments

• Image017 (Custom).jpg
    Image017 (Custom).jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 98
I would just be patient and wait, those people assembling your car are human too. Do you really want a pissed off worker putting your car together over the holiday when he/she would rather be with their family instead?? ... I know I wouldn't. I really want a new '05 in the worst way too, but I'm waiting til spring or even when the '06s come out. I'd rather give them a year to work out any bugs anyway, but I'm not sure if I can wait that long. :D

This two week break is common in a lot of large manufacturing companies, it's actually an accounting practice that helps the company more than the workers. They know so many people take their vacation times during this period that productivity drops off, and the expense of keeping the plant open, lighting, heating, etc adds up, so instead they send everyone home during this two week period. They then get to take two weeks of everyone's vacation time. This reduces the amount of vacation time total they owe their workers, so they reduce their overall debt this way. Effectively, if they lay off all these workers, they now owe them two weeks less vacation time pay. As a result a non-christmas or Channukah celebrating worker who was going to come to work anyway gets shafted out of the choice of takin his vacation when he wants, and the company erases some debt. And you get to wait a bit longer for a car. But would you really want a car that was finished 5 minutes before closing Christmas eve?

um yeah, i DO work on the holiday weeks. i'm not saying they shouldn't allow employees the DAY off but two weeks is alot of time. i must work for ebenizer scrooge since it seems i'm the only one required to work the week of the X-MAS. i'm not trying to be a grinch. and i realize that in all likely hood i will be waiting till january but it would mean alot to me if i got my 05 in december since my 65 was built in december of 64. but if the machines work better with a break and it means the quality will be "job#1" then i can wait. but are theer really that many people working on these cars. i thought they were welded, painted and assembled by robots. its not like there are 40k people welding painting and assembling. there's 3 guys pushing buttons on a machine. they could probably use one of those perpetual motion birds like homer simpson used to vent radioactive gas. damn those bean counters i hate accounting.

dpjedi said:
You mean they're working 12hr days, 7 days a week? If that's the case, how long does it take a single car to go from the beginning of the production line to the point where it's driven off and ready for shipment to the dealer?

It takes 20-22 hours to build the new Mustang.

I work for Boeing and we do the shut down every year, but we aren't forced to use vacation time we just don't get the day off on some of the federal holidays (like: Columbus day) through out the year and they give them to us between x-mas eve and new years. We can use vacation along with this time off if we choose. There's a lot of reasons that this happens, but in the long run we get the same amount of time off as most people but just at different times.