is it hard to put a motor in with the trans already in

murphmaster5

Oct 2, 2005
PA
ive took a trans out about 6 times but ive never removed an engine, well anyway i took everything out of my car for a winter rebuild and im ready to put tran and driveshaf back in but dont know how it works without the motor to support it also i dont know how hard it is to put the motor back in with the trans in could somone help pic would be awsome thanks in advanve

• Sponsors (?)

It's a little tricky trying to line everything up. The key it to have plenty of help.

I installed a 5.0 once with the AOD left in the car. We needed 2 guys to manhandle the 5.0 into position with 1 guy under the car trying to line up the torque converter and bellhousing.

SHould be similar with the t-5 install.

murphmaster5 said:
ive took a trans out about 6 times but ive never removed an engine, well anyway i took everything out of my car for a winter rebuild and im ready to put tran and driveshaf back in but dont know how it works without the motor to support it also i dont know how hard it is to put the motor back in with the trans in could somone help pic would be awsome thanks in advanve

The transmission is supported by the crossmember. The driveshaft will stay in place by the 4 u joint bolts in the rear. But it will be easier to line up the input shaft with the motor in first. Its only 4 bolts to the bellhousing as you know.

I'd wait until the motor is ready and put it all in at once. IMO it's much easier to line up and install the tranny to the engine on the floor and set it all in at the same time. I've always been able to do the complete install myself with no help when installing it all as one unit.

ponyboy19 said:
I'd wait until the motor is ready and put it all in at once. IMO it's much easier to line up and install the tranny to the engine on the floor and set it all in at the same time. I've always been able to do the complete install myself with no help when installing it all as one unit.

i agree it is easier. i have installed my 351w a few times with tranny already in but it is easier if they are both out to bolt em up and slip em in together.

mind you i just installed my 302 in my F-150 with the auto already in. I couldn't do it myself had to use my wifes muscle a little. took us maybe 1/2 hr to get it all lined up. she is such a good women.

yes it is it hard to put a motor in with the trans already in. ponyboy19 and 86 bluecobra i agree. i would install together 1st choice. or install tranny last 2nd choice. i found it alot more difficult to install motor with tranny installed ended up dropping tranny on floor installing motor then tranny and wishing i would have installed together.