Is this trailer a good deal?

TheUser

Jul 25, 2003
Springfield, MO
I've wanted a flatbed trailer for a long time. A couple times a year I'm in a position where a trailer would help. I really only need a 16' tandem axle that will haul 7000 or so (just to be on the safe side).

I found a home made trailer on craigslist. I know home made is risky. This guy says his dad made it back in the 60's and he was master builder. What I do know is the thing looks heavy duty from the pictures. Maybe even too heavy duty. It's a 3 axle 22' trailer, which is bigger than what I need, but it might come in handy some day.

My concerns are:

1) I definitely want electric trailer brakes. He doesn't know if it has them or not, but it looks like a wire running up the tongue is probably the wiring for the brakes.

2) I have a 1/2 Ton Silverado. Is this trailer too big of a trailer for that truck to pull? The weight of the trailer may lower the amt of weight I could put on the trailer.

3) He said it's not mobile home axles. How would I tell that?

I know someone will say that if I have questions then I shouldn't be buying it. Well, if no one asked a question, they wouldn't be able to fix their mustang, so I don't buy in to that logic.
22 ft trailer1.jpg

22 ft trailer2.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

That is a very heavy duty trailer. It looks like it was designed to carry small dozers, back hoes and stuff like that. It should have a pintel hitch on it. That's the big ring. Anyway, I'd guess that the trailer by it's self is more than you're allowed to pull with your truck.

Hell, the trailer looks like it weighs 7000 lbs. I'd pass, unless you're planning to pull a Bobcat every now and then. I don't know what it's selling for but it's gotta be pretty cheap. Even then, a 40+ yr old free trailer would not be something I'd want my 15k worth of sweat equity riding on at 70 MPH.