is your oil pressure guage working?

dannydoo

Sep 10, 2004
i dont know if my guage is working?
when i shut the car off it drops all the way down
turn the key and it goes up a little
start the car,it goes right to the middle!!and stays there!!!!!!!!!
i can rev the car to high hell and it will stay in the same spot!sraight up and down directly in the middle..

i know this isnt normal on a real oil pressure guage,,but i heard we have some voltage type.it reads voltage??i dont know?

but i am having pinging issues possibly related to bad oil pressure.any input would be hot

• Sponsors (?)

dannydoo said:
i dont know if my guage is working?
when i shut the car off it drops all the way down
turn the key and it goes up a little
start the car,it goes right to the middle!!and stays there!!!!!!!!!
i can rev the car to high hell and it will stay in the same spot!sraight up and down directly in the middle..

i know this isnt normal on a real oil pressure guage,,but i heard we have some voltage type.it reads voltage??i dont know?

but i am having pinging issues possibly related to bad oil pressure.any input would be hot

Our oil pressure gauges are idiot gauges. Simply put, if there is pressure, then the gauge will go up to the M or A in "NORMAL". When it's off, it shoud be at the bottom.

Nothing you can do except get an aftermarket oil pressure gauge.
Scott

You CAN make the stock guage work!

Here's a website with instructions and photos. Basically, you need to solder a diode onto the back of the instrument cluster, and replace the oil sender.

<a href="http://www.fuller.des-moines.ia.us/projects/cobra/oilgauge/" target="oil">How to Make the Ford Mustang Cobra Oil Gauge Work</a>