I've Decided To Build A 351/400

How bout dem Giants :) :) :)

You confused me when you said touching on the big bore subject. I get that you said a big bore Dart is 4.125 and stock is 4.00. I'm assuming you mean a stock 351 or do you mean a Dart stock or Dart 8.2 ( Dart stock and Dart 8.2 is the same?)
8.2 is the deck width of the block . 9.5 is the deck width of a 351 hence why you'd need a new manifold if you went 351 either way.

Stock 351 and 302 bore is 4.000 if I remember correctly . You can get a dart shp with that that bore size or in a 4.125 big bore which is what I have and that's how you'd get to the 363 .

And I am most deff a giants fan

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

• Sponsors (?)

Agreed. Not a huge difference but with the typical build 3.4" vs 4.0" stroke motor there usually is going to be 1+ ft lbs per extra cubic inch. So say...50 ft lbs more peak to peak and the bigger motor will have it lower in the rpm range. Forced induction motors tend to like the smaller stroke motors though. Excluding nick lol.
Exactly what he was saying as far as getting the rpm to come on lower in the rpm range with what we were going to do with the 400 using a big bore Dart.

Exactly what he was saying as far as getting the rpm to come on lower in the rpm range with what we were going to do with the 400 using a big bore Dart.
Like I said i make 500 plus ft lbs of tq at just over 3k rpm . I'm sure the blower helps all that but it's unusable on the street trust me .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Reactions: 1 user
8.2 is the deck width of the block . 9.5 is the deck width of a 351 hence why you'd need a new manifold if you went 351 either way.

Stock 351 and 302 bore is 4.000 if I remember correctly . You can get a dart shp with that that bore size or in a 4.125 big bore which is what I have and that's how you'd get to the 363 .

And I am most deff a giants fan

Good deal on them Giants :) :)

And on the big bore Dart, using a different crank than what you are using will give me 400 c.I. ?

Like I said i make 500 plus ft lbs of tq at just over 3k rpm . I'm sure the blower helps all that but it's unusable on the street trust me .

how much would you make minus the blower? Roughly?

how much would you make minus the blower? Roughly?
Prob 130 horse power less then what it makes now if I had to guess and say it makes 10 hp per pound of boost . So maybe 420-450 . Now in an all motor build you up the compression ( mine is low) , Have a cam designed around the all motor build and you make up that 80-100 hp easy .

Prob 130 horse power less then what it makes now if I had to guess and say it makes 10 hp per pound of boost . So maybe 420-450 . Now in an all motor build you up the compression ( mine is low) , Have a cam designed around the all motor build and you make up that 80-100 hp easy .

Gotcha. I will talk to him tonight about what he thinks about doing a 363 using a 351 block.

I do know he said the Dart 8.2 block or the big bore is going to be the same price as to what he can get it for I guess. So we will talk about those and see what's what

Gotcha. I will talk to him tonight about what he thinks about doing a 363 using a 351 block.

I do know he said the Dart 8.2 block or the big bore is going to be the same price as to what he can get it for I guess. So we will talk about those and see what's what

363 would be an 8.2 deck dart block big bore . Not a 9.5 deck 351 block .

I knew it would be an 8.2 but didn't think it was considered a big bore. Guess I know now
Yes needs to be 4.125 bore which cannot be done with a standard bore dart or stock block .

Yes needs to be 4.125 bore which cannot be done with a standard bore dart or stock block .

So buying a 8.2 deck Block to do a 363 it would have to be bored to get the.....or are you saying it just needs .....explain what you are talking about does it need to be bored does it need the 4.125 crank or what lol a little lost on that portion

My head hurts
Mine too lmao
I've never build an engine I've never read up and studied about boring and crank stroke and all of that stuff that's why I'm asking whoever wants to explain its all good lmao. Like I said I have learned a lot from this thread but if there is something said that I don't quite understand I'm going to ask I've never studied boring and engine cranks and all of that stuff so...

Aside from me using my phone and driving at the same time I'm speaking to text if i text something I usually reread what I said and try and break it down for someone to understand. a lot of times what is said the way people say it I don't know if they really read before they hit send or not but it can get a little confusing just to read it lol

Mine too lmao
I've never build an engine I've never read up and studied about boring and crank stroke and all of that stuff that's why I'm asking whoever wants to explain its all good lmao. Like I said I have learned a lot from this thread but if there is something said that I don't quite understand I'm going to ask I've never studied boring and engine cranks and all of that stuff so...

Aside from me using my phone and driving at the same time I'm speaking to text if i text something I usually reread what I said and try and break it down for someone to understand. a lot of times what is said the way people say it I don't know if they really read before they hit send or not but it can get a little confusing just to read it lol

Ok. Stock 302- 4" bore, 3" stroke.

306- 4.030 bore 3" stroke.

331- 4.030 bore, 3.25" stroke.

347- 4.030 bore, 3.4" stroke.

363-4.125 bore, 3.4" stroke.

Edit. Dart blocks come in 4" bore or 4.125 bore. It is my understanding you can take the 4" bore block and bore it to around 4.180.

A stock .302 can usually go to .030 overbore.. Ive heard if .040. .060 is not recommended.

Edit edit. These are all 8.2 deck height 302 based engines.

The 351w strokers are a different story.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Edit. Dart blocks come in 4" bore or 4.125 bore. It is my understanding you can take the 4" bore block and bore it to around 4.180.

A stock .302 can usually go to .030 overbore.. Ive heard if .040. .060 is not recommended.
Ok I saw you just edited so i don't need to ask what I was going to lol.
Now I do understand all of what you just posted but in a Dart block with a 4 inch bore, what's the max cubes you can go with that block and leaving it at a 4 inch bore?

And I'm guessing it might depend on what crank you use to achieve that?

Now I do understand all of what you just posted but in a Dart block with a 4 inch bore, what's the max cubes you can go with that block and leaving it at a 4 inch bore?

341. That is a 4 inch bore 3.4 stroke.

A 341 uses a 347's crank in other words, just not bored.

Edit edit. These are all 8.2 deck height 302 based engines.

The 351w strokers are a different story.
To my understanding you can order the dart just like you can order a boss block where they start with a 4.000 bore . Or you can order the big bore version which the bore starts at 4.125 . Don't quote me on that but I believe that's how it works .

To my understanding you can order the dart just like you can order a boss block where they start with a 4.000 bore . Or you can order the big bore version which the bore starts at 4.125 . Don't quote me on that but I believe that's how it works .

probably so, hence my builder saying cost would be the same for either.