JAN HOTROD MAGAZINE

You are probably right. Someone in the next couple months may try to do this. There very well could be a moron willing to spend 28k-30k on a brand new car, chop out 400 or 500 lbs. of "stuff", bolt on every available item and swap a rear ratio to one that makes everday driving miserable. Get an 05 GTO, do all that stuff and you got a 10 sec. car if what you say is true!

• Sponsors (?)

drmustang said:
This is great stuff-You believe that an 05 Mustang GT will soon run in the 11's with no engine work. I find that very interesting as I own a modified 03 Cobra(pulleys,CAI,RWTD tune, exhaust, etc.) that dynoed 462rwhp and 480rwt. The car runs high 11's as expected with those #'s. You need to take a cold shower.
You need to learn how to drive better or go to a better track. :rolleyes:

drmustang said:
You are probably right. Someone in the next couple months may try to do this. There very well could be a moron willing to spend 28k-30k on a brand new car, chop out 400 or 500 lbs. of "stuff", bolt on every available item and swap a rear ratio to one that makes everday driving miserable. Get an 05 GTO, do all that stuff and you got a 10 sec. car if what you say is true!
What crack are you smoking. I run 4:30's in my Cobra and its FINE for every day driving. I drive over 30 miles each way to work, same gas consumption, and most of my trip is freeway travel.
LOL, you’re going to be dropping A LOT more weight from the GTO and money with it being nearly 4000 lbs. It's about 375-400 lbs heavier than the GT and the GT can easily be brought in line to the GTO's motor.
you will also spend close to 10K more for the GTO, you will have to dump the IRS as the GTO's sucks, and your comparison to the cars is just plain stupid.

Only pussies worry about the factory warranty.

drmustang said:
Very few 05 owners will be doing this degree of conversion. There is a substantial amount of time and cash involved along with the negative effects of the 4:30 drive ratio. One should realize that this car is no where near a 12 sec. runner in stock config. Ford really should have given us the choice of an optional engine with 40 or 50 additional HP. Ford fell short again with power for the Mustang, this is nothing new. Lets buy an brand new car, break open the rear end, replace the braking system, rip out the seats, throw the factory warranty in the toilet and then we have a car that would run the way it should.
no where near a 12 sec. runner , how about a 13.35 BONE STOCK with only 2700 miles on it . this thing will go 12's when its broke in good and maybe a K&N or something, and remember i weigh 240, a100 # lighter driver and youve already got a 13.20 stock.

So according to you I'm stupid for comparing Mustangs and GTO's, I'm a lousy driver because I only go 11.8, and I'm a :taco:. OK, TOUGHGUY, tell us all how we can "easily" add 100HP to an '05 Mustang.

drmustang said:
You are probably right. Someone in the next couple months may try to do this.
May? It's already starting.

There very well could be a moron willing to spend 28k-30k on a brand new car, chop out 400 or 500 lbs. of "stuff", bolt on every available item and swap a rear ratio to one that makes everday driving miserable.
I see. So they will be a "moron" for modding their car? Are you "smart" for not modding whatever it is you own? Is this guy a "moron" for modding his brand new 2004 GTO that runs 10s - and eventually 9's - with 408 inchess and a 300 shot of NOS?

Bueller?

And what rear gear will make it "miserable" for daily driving? I had 4.88s in my 99 Cobra for a long time - drove it everyday. 2600 rpm @ 70 mph wasn't a problem, and I still got as much as 24+ mpg. I'm sure in your eyes I'm a "moron", but in mine, you simply have no knowledge of what gearing a mod motor will be happy with.

So please sir - educate me on what is right, wrong, moronic, and smart.

NOTE to those with common sense: 4.88s are the exception - not the rule. However, 4.56s and especially 4.30s are very, very common in mod-motor Mustangs, especially 4Vs.

Get an 05 GTO, do all that stuff and you got a 10 sec. car if what you say is true!
Sure - can you please tell me where to get one? I'd like to go buy it tonite. Or perhaps tomorrow. Or even January 05. And then kindly tell me what "bolt-on" and "weight reduction" mods I need to go run 10s.

Thank you.

drmustang said:
So according to you I'm stupid for comparing Mustangs and GTO's, I'm a lousy driver because I only go 11.8, and I'm a :taco:. OK, TOUGHGUY, tell us all how we can "easily" add 100HP to an '05 Mustang.
Lets see here.
You’re obviously oblivious that the GT is underrated.
Most dynos have been cutting them right at 280 AFTER they get some miles on them. They have been posted over and over and over again here time and again and there coming in more often.
Lets see that comes out to roughly 330 fwhp.
Now JDM got 300 RWHP with only pullies, a car back and a tune. The dyno has been posted and it's not disputed. This is only after a week or 2 of crunching tunes. A few more months and they will be getting more out of the tunes than they are now. That gives you roughly 355 fwhp (more as the tunes get better). Now it's going to be EASY to make roughly 40-50 fwhp with more tuning, a full exhaust, CAI, MAF, etc. All EASY mods even though the exhaust is time consuming to add headers.
All of this other than the headers are going to be very easy to turn back to stock if you need to bring it in and you should be able to get a factory flash if you need it. a CAI won't void you, and a h pipe and cat back won't void any part of your warranty other than the exhaust part, thats it.
Most dealers won't void you on the change of gears unless you have rear end problems.
Your still nearly 400 lbs lighter than a GTO, will hook MUCH better with the current rear end on the GT compared to the IRS on the GTO, and you have more than likely spent still 5K less after the mods then you would have with just the purchase of the GTO.

Bob Cosby said:
May? It's already starting.

I see. So they will be a "moron" for modding their car? Are you "smart" for not modding whatever it is you own? Is this guy a "moron" for modding his brand new 2004 GTO that runs 10s - and eventually 9's - with 408 inchess and a 300 shot of NOS?

Bueller?

And what rear gear will make it "miserable" for daily driving? I had 4.88s in my 99 Cobra for a long time - drove it everyday. 2600 rpm @ 70 mph wasn't a problem, and I still got as much as 24+ mpg. I'm sure in your eyes I'm a "moron", but in mine, you simply have no knowledge of what gearing a mod motor will be happy with.

So please sir - educate me on what is right, wrong, moronic, and smart.

NOTE to those with common sense: 4.88s are the exception - not the rule. However, 4.56s and especially 4.30s are very, very common in mod-motor Mustangs, especially 4Vs.

Sure - can you please tell me where to get one? I'd like to go buy it tonite. Or perhaps tomorrow. Or even January 05. And then kindly tell me what "bolt-on" and "weight reduction" mods I need to go run 10s.

Thank you.
LOL, you crack me up Bob, I have missed you over on LS1.com

Howdy Bob! I just joined up over here as there isn't much to talk about over at CamaroZ28.com these days.

I just thought I would chime in with this whole GTO weight thing.

Mustang GT: 3450-3500lbs
Pontiac GTO: 3700-3750lbs

It's more like 2-300 pounds, not 400. That was just eerking me a little thats all. Don't forget we have a best stock time of 13.1x in an 04 GTO now, stock right down to the tires and air filter. The 05 GTO WILL run a 12.8 in stock form. I believe Pontiac is claiming 13.0

I still think the GTO with it's bland styling, IRS, and heavy weight is just a daily driver with some nice power. It's not a track car and it's not really a drag car. I think it's kind of like a confused child. I hope GM either drops the weight or puts a REAL (not a 7.5) solid axle in it when the re-design it. Shoot, both would be nice. Damn ADD, sorry for the rant, hehe.

ZZtop said:
Howdy Bob! I just joined up over here as there isn't much to talk about over at CamaroZ28.com these days.

I just thought I would chime in with this whole GTO weight thing.

Mustang GT: 3450-3500lbs
Pontiac GTO: 3700-3750lbs

It's more like 2-300 pounds, not 400. That was just eerking me a little thats all. Don't forget we have a best stock time of 13.1x in an 04 GTO now, stock right down to the tires and air filter. The 05 GTO WILL run a 12.8 in stock form. I believe Pontiac is claiming 13.0

Curb weight according to Pontiac's site is 3725 base. Going to be closer to 3800 lbs if you go with the Auto. It took GTO owners how long? over 1 year to hit a 13.1. I'd also like to see it duplicated because something just seems odd to me that with all of these GTO runs nobody has been within .3 of this time and all of a sudden out of the blue we see a 13.1. I doubt the story and have since I saw it surface. If it's true I think it's more likely a factory freak like the 98 Cobra Bob told me about one day over on LS1.com that went something like 13 flat bone stock. Not something you should use as a measuring tool. I'm willing to bet that if you dynoed that car it would be putting well over 350 out at the crank.