jba headers

• Sponsors (?)

zgarske1038 said:
i just got a new 2006 gt and im plaining on getting jba long tube headers and a matching o/r h-pipe but my question is what finish should i get?

is the stainless steel finish good enough ?
or

should i dish out another $130 for the silver ceramic coating or the titanium ceramic coating

I would imagine the ceramic coatings would dissapate heat better which would help since the S197s supposedly have heat problems. I don't know if this is actually worth the extra cash though.

ruffy said:
You could get the stainless steel and wrap them with header tape which would help on the heat problem.

DO NOT USE HEAT WRAP TAPE ON THE JBA HEADERS

Direct quote from JBA Headers including bold type.

"THE FOLLOWING WILL VOID THIS WARRANTY Use of "heat-wrap" products and/or the use of fuels other than gasoline will void this warranty."

JBA uses 409 Stainless which can turn a little brownish over time when exposed to the elements. If you want a nice looking engine compartment get a set of coated headers.

I'm using the Titanium ceramic coated headers because I got them for $767.00. I couldn't resist when I saw them on e-bay for that price.

Go with Titanium 2000F if you're going forced induction or Silver 1200F if you aren't.

Keep in mind you will need a JBA mid-pipe catted or catless and a set of aftermarket engine mounts such as the Steeda 555-4005

dont get ceramic coated get stainless or titanium

DO NOT get ceramic coated .. i bought a set paid my 780 bucks and i brought them out of the box and was pissed

they are freeking army green NOT silver

YES army green the ugliest coating i have ever seen i get all kinds of ribbing by the guys at the shop

i should have just bought stainless

YOU DO NOT need aftermarket mounts mine work just fine with stock mounts.

and i have never heard of anyone having a heat issue with a 05

my car runs normal temps in texas 105 summer heat no problem

1fastz said:
DO NOT get ceramic coated .. i bought a set paid my 780 bucks and i brought them out of the box and was pissed

they are freeking army green NOT silver

YES army green the ugliest coating i have ever seen i get all kinds of ribbing by the guys at the shop

i should have just bought stainless
Did you get the Silver Ceramic coating or the Titanium Ceramic coating? According to their website ( http://www.jbaheaders.com/details/headerfinishes.jpg ) the Silver Ceramic looks like polished chrome and the Titanium Ceramic looks primer gray.

55887L.JPG

This is what the Titanium Ceramic Coating looks like.

You judge for yourself if the mounts are necessary. Read other people's posts on this and other forums.

Quote from JBA Instructions

" We reccomend replacing these motor mounts with performance mounts available from Steeda PN# 555-4005"

zgarske1038 said:
are the motor mounts from ford that bad on the 05-06? never heard of people changing motor mounts in 99-04's
This is what Steeda has to say about their motor mounts vs stock:
"The weakest link in your drivetrain may be the hydra-mounts used for mounting the engine. While they get the damping job done, they can be prone to fatigue, sagging and/or leaking even with only limited hard use. These direct replacements eliminate the hydra-coupling, and do a better job of directing your engine's efforts to the wheels as well as maintaining proper engine/driveline geometry. Supplied with with two sets of bushings with different durometer ratings, making it a very versatile kit for street or race use."

There are some people who don't change the motor mounts and don't have issues with the headers hitting the frame, but I have read from at least a few who have.

I followed JBA's suggestion and got the Steeda motor mounts - mine don't have any issues.

I agree the titanium ceramic coating looks army green when new, but who cares? I got it to keep the heat in, not to show off my shiny headers - after a few thousand miles, mine look grey now anyway.

are the motor mounts from ford that bad on the 05-06? never heard of people changing motor mounts in 99-04's

It's not that the motor mounts are bad, it's that there isn't much room down there, and when your engine moves a bit in the mounts, the headers can hit the frame. At least you don't lose ground clearance.

delurker said:
It's not that the motor mounts are bad, it's that there isn't much room down there, and when your engine moves a bit in the mounts, the headers can hit the frame. At least you don't lose ground clearance.

that makes much more since to me now why ppl are getting them along with the long tubes

are the headers much easier to install on the 3v? on my 01 gt the install sucked

I left the install to the pros, although I know some folks are going DIY. Looks like a PITA. I'd have done my own (I replaced every piece of pipe between the air filter and muffler on my old WRX's engine myself), but I don't have a garage now.

The instructions JBA sends are fairly detailed and should give you an idea of how much "fun" it's going to be.

ya the ceramic looks nice the titanium for the money is just a rip off if you ask me its just plain ugly and the performance diference between it and the cceramic is almost nill.