just getting into mustangs

347stroker57

Nov 15, 2005
Ok so i have been contemplating what to do after highschool. Im going to college to be a aircraft mechanic. but ne ways,

for the past 2 years i have been driving a lightly modded ford focus and have wanted a mustang. Finally the time is coming. I talked my dad into letting me get a 1990 5.0

i have been looking at parts and heres what i have came up with the work will be professionaly done by my dads freind ( builds drag cars). feel free to put in your .02 cents.

OK heres what i cam up with,

engine: stock 302

347 stroker kit
steeda #20 cam specs( lift-.544, dur-224 intake/230 exhaust, lobe-112 degrees)
steeda time chain
steeda roller rockers
steeda spring/retianer kit
fuel inj- 42 lb i think this might be to much
C&L 76mm maf system/ k&n cone filter
bbk 75mm tb

Trans/drive train

eaton posi diff
moser 31 spline axles
spec stage 3 clucth
spec aluminum flywheel

now what gears should i run i was thinking 4.10:1 or 4.30:1
what shifter would you recomend
and would you recomend a new drive shaft

engine questions

ok the guy can port polish/flow bench heads or would you get a diff head?
intake manifold, which would you get?
headers ( this car will only be driven on nice days) so i am thinking of running it off the headers or just stright pipeing it.

also is that cam to big for a nitrous set up.

if there is anything i missed please fill me in i am not to knowledgable on building v8`s

• Sponsors (?)

The 42 lb injectors are too big for an engine without pressurized induction or NO2.

The 4.10 or 4.30 gears are good for a strip car but not for a street car. You'll find that 3.73 or even 3.55's are better for a daily driver.

:OT: Some off topic thoughts about your career choice - the airlines are going bankrupt and general aviation hasn't been a healthy job market either. I hold an A&P but haven't used it for 26 years because it was too hard to make an honest buck fixing airplanes. I got into the computer fixing business with a 2 year electronics degree and have done very well with it.

i agree the 42lb injectors are way to much. Also with that displacment a nice set of Afr 185s would be sweet. If your going to be building alot power like you want to, your going to need a new tranny trust me the t-5 will not hold up, I recommend the tko500 its a great tranny and holds lots of power, also 373 gears are all around good gears for street and the track and not bad on the highway either. What 347 kit are you thinking about running, becouse for all that steeda stuff your going to buy, and heads you could invest it in a DSS 347 level 20 block and it would come with some killer heads.

well i have been saving for toms turbo kit for a while for the focus 5400 dollas plus selling my dirtbike 2000 plus xmas plus 18th birthday plus graduation plus job = about 12000 dollars

so everything is pretty much falling into my hands pretty well i have always had to work my butt off for stuff and it is finaly coming back to repay me

347stroker57 said:
Ok so i have been contemplating what to do after highschool. Im going to college to be a aircraft mechanic. but ne ways,

for the past 2 years i have been driving a lightly modded ford focus and have wanted a mustang. Finally the time is coming. I talked my dad into letting me get a 1990 5.0

i have been looking at parts and heres what i have came up with the work will be professionaly done by my dads freind ( builds drag cars). feel free to put in your .02 cents.

OK heres what i cam up with,

engine: stock 302

347 stroker kit
steeda #20 cam specs( lift-.544, dur-224 intake/230 exhaust, lobe-112 degrees)
steeda time chain
steeda roller rockers
steeda spring/retianer kit
fuel inj- 42 lb i think this might be to much
C&L 76mm maf system/ k&n cone filter
bbk 75mm tb

Trans/drive train

eaton posi diff
moser 31 spline axles
spec stage 3 clucth
spec aluminum flywheel

now what gears should i run i was thinking 4.10:1 or 4.30:1
what shifter would you recomend
and would you recomend a new drive shaft

engine questions

ok the guy can port polish/flow bench heads or would you get a diff head?
intake manifold, which would you get?
headers ( this car will only be driven on nice days) so i am thinking of running it off the headers or just stright pipeing it.

also is that cam to big for a nitrous set up.

if there is anything i missed please fill me in i am not to knowledgable on building v8`s

You should definately get some type of aliminum heads...either TFS, AFR, or Edelbrock. Ported E7's wont due the trick on a 347.

Same for the intake. Seems more ppl like the Edelbrock Performer intake. If you had a cobra or Gt 40 intake you could always have the lower ported.

Why the Steeda #20? For optimum performance go with a custom cam. If price is the object, try to get an off-the-shelf cam that works well with your heads & intake. Do a search for 347 combos.

As for gears it depends. Its seems from your statement this will be a daily driver. As suggested, 355's or 373's will work well on a DD. GRNLX92 has a high revving 347 that he has 373's now and wants to change to either 410's or 430's. If you're going to have a high revving N/A car this might be your route as well. If you have any forced induction plans stick with the lower numbered gears.

347stroker57 you can find the tranny at tons of places, I know lf you look in a mustang mag you will see lots of ads for it. I recommend brothers performance, becouse thier real fast and the price is good to, but look around, if you goto google.com and type in tko500 you can find prices every where. For the engine goto www.dssracing.com, they sell asome stuff and thier engines are extremely tuff, build lots of power and thier dependable.

347 stroker - Scat 4340 forged steel profiled 3.4 stroke crank, Scat 4340 5.4 H-beam rods w/ ARP 2000 rod bolt upgrade, JE or Ross 10.5:1 comp flat top pistons, rotating assembly balanced to 28oz, TCI Rattler 28 oz damper, SVO billet steel 28oz flywheel, Melling HV/HP oil pump w/ ARP hardened shaft, Canton 7 qt oil pan w/ windage tray, Manley 4130 chromemoly pushrods, SVO roller lifters, SVO double roller timing chain, Comp Cam Pro magnum 1.6 RR, Comp Cam XE282HR camshaft, AFR 205 heads, Victor EFI port matched, 30lbers, Accufab 75mmTB, AFM 80mm MAF, Custom burned chip, RCI custom 1 7/8" ceramic coated LT headers w/ 3" collector, Dr. Gas 3" by 3" X-pipe, Magnaflow 2 1/2" catback to clear panhard bar. Will sound like a Ferrari on steriods and easily put down 400/400 @ the RW, NA. The rotating assembly is good to 1000hp but a stock 302 roller block is good to only 500rwhp safely. If u throw a 200shot on this monster the block will not hold. U will need to go to a Dart or SVO R block.

Centerforce DF clutch or RBT 700 clutch, SVO aluminum driveshaft, Tremec 500 redone by modularmustangracing.com good to 700tq. The guy who owns this shop was the first guy to go 8.99 in a 5 speed Tremec in a twin turbo modular mustang.

Start small, get the car. Do MAF/cold air, headers/exhaust, gears, shifter, sticky tires and subframes. Get used to it.. do alot of research. Figure out what your goals are as far as hp, times, drag/street/autocross, etc. That list is a good think to work from.. but you could have a really fun car to drive with the above and the addition of heads/intake manifold. Should put you around 300hp-ish.. then you'll need to consider fuel and suspension upgrades..and then you can figure out if you wan to go the turbo kit, supercharger kit, stroker kit, or 351w base upgrade, maybe even decide to swap in a 5.4 with a t56.. do more reading.