just sold stang to friend, now he says its leaking

philcore3

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
I just sold my 91 vert to a friend/acquantance. We came to an agreement of 7K, the car was cosmetically very nice, the engine/tranny was OK w/ 82,000 miles on it. He was aware the clutch/tranny would need an overhaul in the next year or two. So on his ride home, he gets oil spewing out the underside, to the effect of loosing a quart on his hour long ride home. He looked at it and thinks his rear main seal is shot. Question is, what do I do. I know I sold it as is, but I look like a jackass if he can't even get it home without breaking. Do I offer him $, and how much? Any advice out there. I plan on driving over and verifying what he is saying is true. My thoughts are I offer him $400 for a new clutch and seals, leave the labor up to him since he hangs with capable mechanics. Give me your thoughts please!!

• Sponsors (?)

I just sold my 91 vert to a friend/acquantance. We came to an agreement of 7K, the car was cosmetically very nice, the engine/tranny was OK w/ 82,000 miles on it. He was aware the clutch/tranny would need an overhaul in the next year or two. So on his ride home, he gets oil spewing out the underside, to the effect of loosing a quart on his hour long ride home. He looked at it and thinks his rear main seal is shot. Question is, what do I do. I know I sold it as is, but I look like a jackass if he can't even get it home without breaking. Do I offer him $, and how much? Any advice out there. I plan on driving over and verifying what he is saying is true. My thoughts are I offer him $400 for a new clutch and seals, leave the labor up to him since he hangs with capable mechanics. Give me your thoughts please!!

You got a good heart but stuff happens cars break could it possibly be because he was dogging his new to him stang...if I were to offer anything it would be help fixing it but no money

never sell a car to someone that close to you unless its a truly good friend/family member

and even then id be careful

i sold a car to a friend once and it caused some major issues...and i ended up losing a bit of money...never doing that again

I agree with the other statement find out what it is first. it's wierd for the rear main to blow out just like that. mine has been leaving little drips for a long time but to dump out a quart you would have seen alot of oil on the ground with it running I would think.

after you find out what it is, follow your gut feeling, if he is a close friend go the xtra for him if it makes gives a clear mind. if he is not that close or someone you just see here and there do the minimum like $100 or nothing. this is one of those "can I can I sleep at night" kinda deals, some people can walk away from the guy and be okay about it some would feel to guilty. Me I would feel bad and find out what it was and offer something fair, for a friend.

F him he probabbly beat te hell out of the car on his way home.. I had cars that had rearseal leaks that dripped everywhere and they diddnt loose a quart an hour.

You got a good heart but stuff happens cars break could it possibly be because he was dogging his new to him stang...if I were to offer anything it would be help fixing it but no money

I agree, I bought the Cobra, it test drove fine, drove home 200 miles fine and the minute I pulled in the driveway, puked oil everywhere. Found out it had 2 cracked pistons. Its a mustang, if you buy one thinking that it has not been ragged or won't have problems you're crazy. Foxes are getting pretty old now too, so that brings about a whole new set of problems. I know its your friend, but buying a used car is a risk no matter what.

That sucks..... I'm too honest like that. I sold my Cougar TO A STRANGER and it puked on the guy the next day, he was stuck in the middle of the road - engine wouldn't start. He called me, I got in my Mustang and drove down there, it was raining so damn hard I couldn't see past my hood and checked it out. I figured his TFI moduled took a dump. I PAID FOR A ****ING TOW TRUCK to get the car to a repair shop where he can pay to have it fixed. I could have told him that it's his problem but I'm not like that.

The problem with that is that he started calling me for every little thing, until I told him "look it's an old car, you paid 1700 bucks for it so there will always be little things to get done. I can't afford to restore your project and work on mine at the same time, if the car doesn't suite you - sell it and move on"