K&N FIPK: Worth it.

chicks-dig-it

Oct 14, 2003
The GT feels like it just woke up. I had the BBK fenderwell before, but I've had my doubts about it. Now it's obvious what a POS it was. Don't have any dyno numbers, sorry. K&N included a dyno chart with a stock 99 GT with/without the K&N kit: 9.9 rwhp gain. I'm happy with my 200 bucks.

• Sponsors (?)

chicks-dig-it said:
The GT feels like it just woke up. I had the BBK fenderwell before, but I've had my doubts about it. Now it's obvious what a POS it was. Don't have any dyno numbers, sorry. K&N included a dyno chart with a stock 99 GT with/without the K&N kit: 9.9 rwhp gain. I'm happy with my 200 bucks.
I've been researching the FIPK and the Pro-M CAI. I think the FIPK is a good unit and worth the money. And I agree the BBK in the fender CAI is a POS.

Rocketman said:
I've been researching the FIPK and the Pro-M CAI. I think the FIPK is a good unit and worth the money. And I agree the BBK in the fender CAI is a POS.
What makes the K&N FIPK better than the BBK CAI? Doesn't the K&N unit suck hot air from the engine compartment? I do not have either one, so I am not sure...
:shrug:

01GT eibach said:
What makes the K&N FIPK better than the BBK CAI? Doesn't the K&N unit suck hot air from the engine compartment? I do not have either one, so I am not sure...
:shrug:

The K&N FIPK is made of plastic induction tubing. Plastic will not run as hot as metal. Hence, cooler air = better power gain. This is why I highly advise against the BBK and Mac CAI units as well as any that use metal for their induction device.

As for drawing in hot air from the engine bay, the K&N FIPK has a "heat shield" that surrounds the filter. The filter is positioned right next to the hole in the fenderwell so its still going to draw most of its air from there. Besides, most of the heat in the engine bay is in the center, not the sides.

smokin'Red35th said:
does the FIPK put the filter inside the fenderwell? if not, then isnt it just sucking in hot air from the engine compartment?

The heat shield that separates the filter from the engine bay is also lined with a rubber liner similar to the windows. When you close the hood the filter is well isolated from the engine and draws air from below and the side.

2002BLGT said:
just buy the K&N replacement filter and remove the factory silencer , save the $$ for something else

I just grabbed a K&N last night, and I don't plan on getting a CAI setup... but there arent any gains from just a K&N filter right? Maybe with high horsepower applications, but I'm pretty skeptical for a nearly stock 4.6. I only ask because I read 'increased horsepower' on the box... lol. Ricer mentality?

trinity_gt said:
http://home.golden.net/~trinity/Dyno/kndyno.jpg

+9.3rwHP on my stock 02 GT. I agree...it's a good mod.

Will be installing an Accufab plenum and 70mm TB tonight (hopefully...weather permitting) and am hoping returns as good as the K&N setup did.

Accufab Plenum & 70mm TB :nice: You won't be disappointed!!! Feel the car just freakin pull like never before above 3K. (Can ya tell I'm lovin' mine?!)
C&L%20and%20Accufab.JPG

2k3GT said:
I just grabbed a K&N last night, and I don't plan on getting a CAI setup... but there arent any gains from just a K&N filter right? Maybe with high horsepower applications, but I'm pretty skeptical for a nearly stock 4.6. I only ask because I read 'increased horsepower' on the box... lol. Ricer mentality?

With just a K&N air filter, don't expect to "feel" any gains. You will gain though probably 2, maybe 3rwhp. Be sure to either trim or remove the silencer to keep the gains at their best.