K&N Oil Filter, Is it worth it

• Sponsors (?)

MustangDanny said:
Check out this website...

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

K&N and Mobile are basically the same. Looks like Mobil 1 filters better, but K&N flows better. I personally use Mobil 1 filters. If I'm going to fun my oil for 7,500 miles might as well keep it clean.

You only change oil every 7500 miles...yet worry about the best oil filter?

I may be old, but I don't get it. :shrug:

Even the full synthetics (I use AMSoil myself) will never see more than 5000 miles in my automobiles. 3000 if I have the time and inclination.

NEVER underestimate the oil and filter change for prolonging engine life. Even today!

Ok, Ok, so I have 2 keeper Mustangs...if not maybe I would trust the 7500 mile recommendation.

Nah, I'm just old fashioned. heheheh

tygr1 said:
Even the full synthetics (I use AMSoil myself) will never see more than 5000 miles in my automobiles. 3000 if I have the time and inclination.

NEVER underestimate the oil and filter change for prolonging engine life. Even today!

Ok, Ok, so I have 2 keeper Mustangs...if not maybe I would trust the 7500 mile recommendation.

Nah, I'm just old fashioned. heheheh

Do yourself a favor. The next time you change your oil at 3000 miles, send in a sample to any local oil testing facility and compare the viscosity to brand new oil. Especially synthetics... you will see negligible breakdown unless you are running at 6,000rpm for like an hour straight. Normal driving conditions (even the occasional run up to redline on the freeway) does not "challenge" the abilities of synthetic oils to wistand viscosity breakdown. Changing synthetics more often then <5000 miles is a complete waste of $ and time [period]. The proof is in the puddin' (do the test and find out).

MustangDanny said:
Do yourself a favor. The next time you change your oil at 3000 miles, send in a sample to any local oil testing facility and compare the viscosity to brand new oil. Especially synthetics... you will see negligible breakdown unless you are running at 6,000rpm for like an hour straight. Normal driving conditions (even the occasional run up to redline on the freeway) does not "challenge" the abilities of synthetic oils to wistand viscosity breakdown. Changing synthetics more often then <5000 miles is a complete waste of $ and time [period]. The proof is in the puddin' (do the test and find out).

You may be right, and you probably are, but its cheap insurance. I plan on keeping my Vert until the day the Lord calls me home, this car is gettign babied every step of the way. Full synth and a M1 filter every 5K miles, or less, for life.

01TrueBlueCobra said:
My Cobra is due for a oil change soon and I noticed that K&N makes an oil filter.It's a bit pricey though, is it worth the price.

nope. i used K&N's for about a year and experienced a lot of lifter tapping during colder weather. they dont have check valves to keep the oil in the top of the motor. went back to the motorcraft FL820S.

I'm at 72k on my '01 Cobra and changed my oil every 3k. I want to go to synthetic and found Valvoline 5w 20 full synthetic, I wanted mobile 1 but couldn't find the 5/20...is this a good oil to go full synthetic with or is it too late with my mileage? :shrug:

I don't want to start an argument, but any filter other than an FL-820S is a waste of money. The car came with a Motorcraft from the factory, and I still use them, and my car is now far from factory. I also use conventinal oil.

Nicks98Cobra said:
Damn straight. Why push it to the limits with your oil? I use synthetic and still change it every 3k because its better safe than sorry. Plus I enjoy changing my oil.

Agreed! 7,500 miles? DAMN you guys sure do trust those synthetic oils...

I just posted a question about this topic on this cobra i want to buy...i guess i got my answer now...