Kenne Bell question

Kb's wont hert a stock gt at 9psi :p where did you here they will? what i was told by KB is the stock bottom end can handle about 450rwhp and even more if you dont over rev. if your worried about your engine being all weird on 91 octane, you could go buy some race gas and every tank full you can put a gallon or two of that in and it will raise your octane to about 95 :nice: That is what im going to do so i can run the switch chip on "shootout" mode, that should give me like 20 more hp, as i was told me KB.

• Sponsors (?)

So .. let's say I buy the 6psi kit now (which I will soon)... and I eventually upgrade my rods / pistons with forged pieces:

If I wanted to go to the 9psi level, is there anything else I need other then the 9psi pulley and a retune? I just wanted to make sure there isn't a difference mechanically for strength purposes.

Also, is the 2.2L available for purchase now? That'd be pretty good to buy and run it low boost until you have your bottom end worked out.

Tylerb59 said:
So .. let's say I buy the 6psi kit now (which I will soon)... and I eventually upgrade my rods / pistons with forged pieces:

If I wanted to go to the 9psi level, is there anything else I need other then the 9psi pulley and a retune? I just wanted to make sure there isn't a difference mechanically for strength purposes.

Also, is the 2.2L available for purchase now? That'd be pretty good to buy and run it low boost until you have your bottom end worked out.

You would also need an intercooler. Trust me just buy the 9psi kit now, you wont blow your engine. i dont even think its much more.

So the 6psi kit is minus the intercooler (Is that front mount)? Actually, I haven't read into or seen pictures of the KB intercooler.

I drive a little more then 100 miles a day to and from work and need to have my car sticking around a while where as I'd be slightly concerned having 400rwhp with the amount of miles I drive and how often I like to get on it.

The idea for me was to get the 6 psi kit, be happy with what I get (330-50 ish should be good enough for a while) and slowly piece together another motor I can drop in (5.1 stroker ... Ported heads / cams) and then 'upgrade' to the full 9psi and run that fairly safe.

--

In contrast to my plan, how long do you think ... realistically ... a 9psi kit would last on the stock engine? I make several trips to the track, and am guilty of having some fun on the street.

Concerned for what ???
It's like putting 14" brakes on your car and beeing concerned of braking! Your car will brake better only when you want to... !
If you don't hit the brake pedal hard, it will brake just like before...

Tylerb59 said:
Thanks for your input guys. :nice:

I just don't want to be the first and single jackass on this board who blew his engine something tough. :D

I'm running a 6psi non cooled kit...and we got 338 at the wheels...the car ripps. (it's got 4:10s too).

I would recommend getting the car dynoed before and after, and it would help if you had a tuner in the vicinity. Just peace of mind...make sure the A/F is where it should be...and safety is the priority.

The cooler sits between the intake manifold and the compressor. The only real difference to the eye is the coolant tank sitting beside the alternator, and the size of the pulley.

...don't mean to pull this back up, i'm new here and wanting to learn.

so if i forge the internals of a 2V motor and run 14#'s of intercooled boost with the KB S/C...nearly everyday (if i can :p) the block would be ok? how much hp/tq will the stock block able to withstand?

I'm no authority here, but if you go with forged internals on the stock block, I think you have a bullit-proof set up for major ponies.

The stock GT block is cast iron if I'm accurate, so it's got the ability to handle like 1000hp, and with forged internals...whammo...she's ready for big #'s.

Keep in mind that 14psi will get you 600+ at the wheels, so if you're staying mainly on the street...you'll be having serious grip issues....hell...I can barely keep my ass on the road with 6psi and 4:10s, with a 275/40 on the rear.

But yes...the block should be good! :nice:

Tylerb59 said:
So the 6psi kit is minus the intercooler (Is that front mount)? Actually, I haven't read into or seen pictures of the KB intercooler.

I drive a little more then 100 miles a day to and from work and need to have my car sticking around a while where as I'd be slightly concerned having 400rwhp with the amount of miles I drive and how often I like to get on it.

QUOTE]

My commute is about the same. Like you, I race it a couple times a year. So far with the stock bottom end, I've put 12,000 miles on the car with the blower and just did my first blower oil change. So far so good.

Also the 6psi kit does not have the intercooler. I went back and forth and decided that the intercooler was worth it for the extra measure of safety.

2000BLKGT said:
I'm no authority here, but if you go with forged internals on the stock block, I think you have a bullit-proof set up for major ponies.

The stock GT block is cast iron if I'm accurate, so it's got the ability to handle like 1000hp, and with forged internals...whammo...she's ready for big #'s.

Keep in mind that 14psi will get you 600+ at the wheels, so if you're staying mainly on the street...you'll be having serious grip issues....hell...I can barely keep my ass on the road with 6psi and 4:10s, with a 275/40 on the rear.

But yes...the block should be good! :nice:

i thought the stock block of a 2V motor was aluminum.... :scratch: but if that's so...awesome! thanks

I've had my KB 9 lbs inter cooled on for about 1 1/2 years. I drive it every day,year round. I've put 40k miles on my car since the install. I've been down the 1/8 mile about 20 times and run the 1/4 12 times or so. I drive the **** out of my car. The engine is completely stock other than the KB. I run 91 octane. I will be upgradeing to the larger TB and Air meter this year. I'm also adding 3.73 gears. In the far future I would like to build a new lower compression engine so I can bump up to 14 psi.

P.S. My wife even drives this car, she just never gets on it, but its very tame if you keep your foot out of it. Best investment I've ever made car-wise.

02GTBlack said:
I've had my KB 9 lbs inter cooled on for about 1 1/2 years. I drive it every day,year round. I've put 40k miles on my car since the install. I've been down the 1/8 mile about 20 times and run the 1/4 12 times or so. I drive the **** out of my car. The engine is completely stock other than the KB. I run 91 octane. I will be upgradeing to the larger TB and Air meter this year. I'm also adding 3.73 gears. In the far future I would like to build a new lower compression engine so I can bump up to 14 psi.

P.S. My wife even drives this car, she just never gets on it, but its very tame if you keep your foot out of it. Best investment I've ever made car-wise.

Same here :nice:
One year and about 8K miles on the KB... couldn't imagine my car without it :D

I'd love to go forged in the future and 14psi if I can make it CA smog legal...

I put about 1000 miles on my KB 01 Cobra but then ole man winter came i had to put her away.

With 9psi and the intercooler you will be fine so long as your tune is good. The KB tune is OK but very very conservative. I actually see about 7.5 psi after the intercooler on my car with the 9psi pulley. but Ken sent me a 11 psi pulley the other.