Kenwood DDX-7017

• Sponsors (?)

I generally prefer the cleaness of oem to aftermarket, but Ford hasn't done much for us in the radio arena!

The double height opening in the Mustang is just screaming for a touchscreen unit to be installed.

I'm totally surprised they don't offer Sirius Sattelite Radio, too. I might've bought the Shaker1000 if that was included. I have Sirius in my MCS and I'm totally hooked. I don't think I've listened to FM since it was installed last Dec.

All of that said, I'm going to be looking for something like this Kenwood. My only exception is that I want it to do do navigation as well.

I guess with the MINI being a bit more of a geek car there are some guys who have installed PCs in their MINI Coopers with a touch screen, and have the functionality that comes with it. No doubt this is the future of car audio IMO... but there are *very* few units on the market today, most have been custom built.

That Kenwood has navigation capability as well, you just need to drop the extra 1000 bucks for it...

I am a bit disappointed at the Ford OEM radio - I have all the typical Shaker problems discussed on the board, and it is also annoying I can't figure out a way to tap into the radio's AUX port to wire in my iPod without a modulator. I've also been looking at some of the other touchscreens, I just need to pull the trigger one of these days. If anyone has installed a video screen, how difficult was it?

I installed a Kenwood Excelon DDX-8017 into my 2004 Mustang. Here are some pics...

Wiring.jpg

Remote.jpg

Front.jpg

Kenwood1.jpg

Kenwood2.jpg

I used a Metra Harness 70-5521. It fits 2003-2004 Mustangs with the Mach 460 sound system ONLY. You'll have to visit Metra's website to find the correct harness for other year Mustangs. The 70-5521 comes with the main harness adapter for the head unit and the adapter for the amplified Mach 460 system.

I did the wiring and let a local stereo install shop do the actual fitment of the head unit. They didn't have to do any cutting, but did have to do some work to fit it into the factory opening.

I want something like that so i can use my ipod and maybe for navigation. But my worry is people breaking my window and stealing that thing. Even if its securly bolted down and they cant get away with it, I now have no driver side window.

I wanted this system too with the navigation but it was a little too expensive for me right now. If you want to install this you have to cut the small plastic piece that is behind the shaker system. So when you pull out the shaker, youll see a line that goes across the middle... thats what you have to cut. You probably want to get a shop to do this. I think you should go for it because then you can add the navigation and other accessories later.

stanmckinney said:
That's an 04, not an 05. There's a big difference.

Sorry guys, wasn't paying attention too well to the original post.

pwhite05 said:
I wanted this system too with the navigation but it was a little too expensive for me right now.

I got it for $1,138 delivered off of eBay (new in box). Just keep a look out on there. This is the Excelon version. You can get the DDX-7017 for a lot cheaper ($800-900 neighborhood).

This deck comes with my highest recommendations!

I ended up going with the Pioneer AVIC-D1 system, and installed it a few weeks ago (I'll try to post pics this week in this thread). I liked the fact that the Pioneer system was an all-in-one as opposed to the Kenwood, where you have to separately mount the DVD drive. The Pioneer works great and gives the stock Shaker 500 system a great increase in quality (I haven't replaced the speakers / sub yet). I thought the screen quality was far better than the Kenwood. I've got the ipod adapter and XM installed as well, and all the control boxes fit fine behind the dash. The one slight drawback - out of the box, the Pioneer will lock out most functions when the car is moving. There is a bypass, but it is not as simple as grounding the parking break wire (Pioneer's bypass is GPS-based, meaning when the system senses the car is moving it locks the navigation functions out). That being said, I found a bypass to all of that on another forum. All in all, the Pioneer was much cheaper than the Kenwood (I got the navigation unit for 1050) and is an incredible system.

I will be installing that kenwood in my 05 shortly, I currently have a pioneer 5700 flip out but I just found out that I can get the kenwood through my work on accomodations for 650. If any wants a pioneer flip out let me know. I will post pics as soon as it arrives.

knight_rider69 said:
Wolfman, does the AVIC-D1 play DVD's? I heard it didn't that's why I avoided it. If it does, it's a great deal. I read an article on it in Road & Track "SPEED" and they loved it.

Unfortunately not straight from the deck, as it only has a DVD-ROM drive. It does have two separate video inputs (one for the rear camera, one for the auxillary video) that would allow you to hook up a DVD player and watch it on the screen. It also has rear monitor outputs which allow you to hook up external screens. With that being said, I wired it up so I could quickly access the audio/video input plugs in the glove box if I wanted to hook up a portable DVD (which I don't see myself doing, but who knows) and I am happy. The system is incredible after you bypass the annoying lockout functions.

Eclipse installed

Wolfman064 said:
Has anyone installed this radio into the 05?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TvuOG0DkQ4I/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168550&I=113DDX7017

I've heard about a few people installing it but am wondering if there is any truth to the rumors that swapping out radios will make the Shaker systems inoperable. Also, if I go this route I'd be tempted to hook up satellite radio - any thoughts on an antenna location?

Thanks for the input

I installed the Eclipse AVN5435 & love it. I put the GPS antenna on the dash directly underneath the mirror. It sits up against the glass, gets great reception for the nav and it is almost invisible (small antenna). My shaker system amps and speakers work just fine, just had to use a premium sound wiring harness.

As far as your satellite antenna, I don't know how big it is, but I have seen mustangs with it between the two rear speakers.

Attachments

• AVN5435 Bullitt.jpg
    AVN5435 Bullitt.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 144