Upgrade speakers, more mid & Bass?

I noticed that Pioneer just came out with a set of subs that are very low profile and allow one to place them in areas that a normal sub would not fit which got me thinking if it would be possible to upgrade the 8" woofers in the doors of my '06 with the shaker 500.

The one thing that I find is that it is lacking a bit in the mid to low end, but I'd like to stick with the stock look and even the rest of the stock speakers. Would it be possible to replace the stock woofer with something else? Is there enough space to fit one it, anyone try it or know how much space is actually there? Lastly does the head unit/stock amp have enough power to actually run a real set of subs in the doors?

Here's just a couple of the subs I was looking at, if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on them I'm all ears.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KiZgnYuGdSS/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=575P18S4

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KiZgnYuGdSS/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=2065C8VR2

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eZcxsuLD3Mq/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=pioneer+shallow&i=130TSS2541

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KiZgnYuGdSS/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=2064SSMB8http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KiZgnYuGdSS/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=575P18S4

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

I have the Shaker 1000, and replaced the amps with a bigger 4 ch for the highs/bass and a 1000 watt for subs.The stock woofers in the doors actually have some pretty good bass once you put more power to them and set them at a different crossover point., and the "plates" get pretty loud too.I replace the 2 10's with some JLW3's i had laying around and its a little better, but the door subs actually drown out the 10's.

I have the Shaker 1000, and replaced the amps with a bigger 4 ch for the highs/bass and a 1000 watt for subs.The stock woofers in the doors actually have some pretty good bass once you put more power to them and set them at a different crossover point., and the "plates" get pretty loud too.I replace the 2 10's with some JLW3's i had laying around and its a little better, but the door subs actually drown out the 10's.

Ditto. I also changed out my plates for some older DEI Studio separates and A-pillar mounted the tweets. Easy install and works very well.

i dont know much about the electronics of this car so, since you have amps in your car already, you can just buy new amps, subs, and the new amp kits and have it all installed right? Best buy is trying to give me crap and charging me up to 200 dollars for the installation and other unneccessary equipment like an adaptor since its a stock stereo, more wires to hook up the shaker500 system. (this is for already having an amp, subs, and box)

i dont know much about the electronics of this car so, since you have amps in your car already, you can just buy new amps, subs, and the new amp kits and have it all installed right? Best buy is trying to give me crap and charging me up to 200 dollars for the installation and other unneccessary equipment like an adaptor since its a stock stereo, more wires to hook up the shaker500 system. (this is for already having an amp, subs, and box)
I wouldnt say its just as easy as replacing the amps. For me, what I did was replace the head unit,disconnect the amps and wire in the new amps, then tap into the speaker outputs at the stock amps. Me being in the business, I would say 200 bucks for the install isnt bad if its COMPLETE, so all your factory speakers are wired up with new amp(s) and hi/low converters without any problems like engine noise.

A couple dumb questions, when you guys say "plates" what do you mean?

Secondly what would you suggest the best way to add mid and lows to my setup without changing the look of my car (and leaving the stock head unit). It would be great to be able to just swap in a new amp for the factory one but I dont think that its such an easy option.

Any advice would be great. Also if I just wanted to add a sub what's the easiest way to do so (I really want to make sure that it integrates well with my factory system as in my last car I added a sub and changed the headunit & amps and still ended up to have a poping noise when I turned the system on as well as an alternator whine). I really just want to add a little more midrange sound and bass while leaving everything else alone as much as possible.

Thanks,

Matt

A couple dumb questions, when you guys say "plates" what do you mean?

Secondly what would you suggest the best way to add mid and lows to my setup without changing the look of my car (and leaving the stock head unit). It would be great to be able to just swap in a new amp for the factory one but I dont think that its such an easy option.

Any advice would be great. Also if I just wanted to add a sub what's the easiest way to do so (I really want to make sure that it integrates well with my factory system as in my last car I added a sub and changed the headunit & amps and still ended up to have a poping noise when I turned the system on as well as an alternator whine). I really just want to add a little more midrange sound and bass while leaving everything else alone as much as possible.

Thanks,

Matt
plates are mid range and tweeters mounted to a "plate" like this
View attachment 409601

I am satisfied at this point with the stock speakers with replaceing the amps. As far as bass, add a LOC(line output converter or Hi/Low) to feed the signal to the amp for the subs. Get a amp with a sun X-over and if you have a "thump" at turn on, adda timed delay to delapy the amp turn on to avoid that.

We make a few products that can be used.

www.pac-audio.com

I replaced the 5x7 in the door with a 6" boston midrange and mounted the tweeter in the a-pillar. I have the shaker 500 and the 5x7 is actually powered by the radio, so I used the factory wiring for the 5x7 in the door and ran a wire for the tweeter in the a-pillar. I built a box for two 10's in the trunk and mounted my amp on the back of the box all finished out in black vinyl.. Looks really good and sounds awesome. Nicest part was that I didn't really have to mess with the factory system too much and would be easy to put it back to stock..