Kill switch in the cigarette lighter... how?

68converted

Nov 19, 2003
Colorado
I want to do the cigarette lighter kill switch. I was wondering how I wire it in. I know that I need to run the key on/start wire to it, but then what? There is no outbound wire to cut into for the run to the starter solenoid.. Can some one give me an idea of what to do. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Get a push on/push off toggle type switch at the hardware store that will fit inside the gutted housing. Make sure to get a switch that has a threaded body and jam nut for bulkhead type mounting. Enlarge the hole in the back of the housing so that the switch can be secured to it. Not too sure how to wire with a stock ignition but with a MSD 6AL box there is a white wire that is not used when using a magnetic pick-up type disributor. When this white wire is grounded the car will not start. The cig lighter toggles the wire back and forth to ground.

I like your ideas. I have been thinking about attempting something along the lines of one of the new "smart keys". I am looking for an aftermarket setup to retrofit to my car. Not to hijack but has anyone seen something like that?

Actually, I figured it out. I used a meter and also found a spade connector on the backside.

Here is what I plan to do: I will cut the end off the blue wire that plugs into the center of the lighter, heat shrink the hot wire and tie off. Cut the start wire to the solenoid, splice in the connector that came off the lighter, attach a female spade connector to a length of wire, pug that onto the spade connector of the lighter and back to the start wire to complete the circuit.

When the lighter is pushed in, the circuit is open... pull it out or remove it and the circuit is closed. Because it still looks like a lighter, the dumb ass thieves might not figure it out, or at least it might take them a bit longer to figure it out, giving me time to take aim:D ... Kind of a cool little deterrent. :nice:

i agree with the pictures and if anybody has more information on how to do this id love to cuz thats a really really good idea specially around us not many people see these mustangs really nice driving everyday and i dont want someone deciding oh i would like that then BAM your outa a car and a efw years of work!:owned:

thats all great and everything, but the car can still be started very easily with a jumper wire from under the hood. A pair of channel locks, and maybe 2 feet of wire with alligator clips on the end, your car can be started in about 10 seconds (or less).

Can't tell you exactly how he did it, but a buddy of mine wired his old Ford van like that.
He would have to push the lighter in for the engine to start and to run. If he pulled it out when it was running, it would kill the engine.
He said he pulled the center element of the lighter out and replaced it with an allen head screw.
If I get any more info than that, I'll let you know.

Joe

thats all great and everything, but the car can still be started very easily with a jumper wire from under the hood. A pair of channel locks, and maybe 2 feet of wire with alligator clips on the end, your car can be started in about 10 seconds (or less).

Another reason I like having EFI and a mini starter without the fender mounted solenoid. Add in a locking handle for the shifter and a hidden switch that cuts out the fuel pump and unless it's going to be towed......

Another reason I like having EFI and a mini starter without the fender mounted solenoid. Add in a locking handle for the shifter and a hidden switch that cuts out the fuel pump and unless it's going to be towed......

exactly. I would recommend some sort of fuel shutoff (of course that only applies to cars with elec. pumps), or a shift lockout. The ignition and starting systems are easy to bypass, even with your mini starter and lack of solenoid. I think Grant makes a kit that allows you to remove the steering wheel and has a block-off plate for the column, that would probably work ok.

Well if they can get through my Mr Gasket locking hood pins, let them steal it. They are way better than my little trick. I am just trying to stop the relatively stupid "kids" trying to take a joy ride. It's a convertible, so I don't even plan on locking the doors. Saves the top if they want in. Speaking from really bad experience.

I have another trick up my sleeve, but that one will remain mine. The car will always be garaged over night, and parked at a private parking lot at work, but the few times that I do have to park it for short periods of time, I will have some piece of mind that it is fairly safe.

I did build it to drive it, not to put it up on a shelf as a trophy. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the insight, and ideas. I hope this thread helps others get some diff. ideas on what to do to protect their babies.:SNSign:

Use a green wire from the negative side of the primary on the coil and run it to the back of the cigarette lighter in place of the hot lead. When you push the lighter in, it completes the ground circuit bypassing your points (like your points are permanently closed). The green wire looks like a tach signal lead, so no one will be the wiser.
So the thief pops the hood, hooks a hot lead to the coil and jumps the solenoid. The car cranks and cranks till he kills the battery, or you hear the car cranking, and "assist" him away from your car.

If you all ready have a tach lead going to the negative of the coil, then just tap into the tach lead under the dash. Does the same thing.
Don't do this with an MSD box.

EFI... but when I do the MSD box next winter, I will add that to my list.

Use a green wire from the negative side of the primary on the coil and run it to the back of the cigarette lighter in place of the hot lead. When you push the lighter in, it completes the ground circuit bypassing your points (like your points are permanently closed). The green wire looks like a tach signal lead, so no one will be the wiser.
So the thief pops the hood, hooks a hot lead to the coil and jumps the solenoid. The car cranks and cranks till he kills the battery, or you hear the car cranking, and "assist" him away from your car.

If you all ready have a tach lead going to the negative of the coil, then just tap into the tach lead under the dash. Does the same thing.
Don't do this with an MSD box.

So will this work with only points ignition or will it work with a pertronix style ign? 68converted, didn't he say to NOT do that with the MSD box? Your comment confuses me.