Leaks Anti-freeze??

SICK98STANG

May 19, 2005
Hey what's up, I'm having problems with my thermostat and or thermostat housing I have a 98 Stang GT 4.6L and tends to leak anti freeze every once and a while and it's becoming a pain to keep adding anti freeze to the car. I'm not sure if my car has the wrong thermostat housing or if (not too sure what it's called; the place the thermostat housing is connected to) is cracked. It's in a tight spot in order to check around it to determine whether it's cracked or not. The thermostat housing doesnt seem to bolt on correctly and thus I think it could be the housing but then again it says Ford on it. So if anybody out there has had the same problem with there call and has advice on how to solve it or directions for how to solve it. I'd appreciate it.

SICK98STANG

• Sponsors (?)

slick 98, i'm afraid that what ocbaud has said is true. The O.E. manifolds are VERY prone to cracking. the usually break right behind the alternator, but I have seen many come through the dealership cracked at the heater hose fitting on the pass. rear of the manifold, and my own personal 96 GT cracked at the thermo housing. just started leaking from the seal one day. couldn't see a crack and tried 2 new seals before i said F-it and replaced the manifold. there is a way to tell if yours has been replaced. is the part where the thermostat goes into aluminum or plastic? The replacement manifolds are aluminum in the front crossover/thermo housing area. If not, then you need to replace the manifold with the updated aluminum one, otherwise you are taking a chance on it completely rupturing, which it will, and leave you sitting. it's about a 2 hr job to put on and requires nothing but basic hand tools.