Let’s talk gasoline -

MrPerfect2

Jul 23, 2019
Washington DC
We all got to buy it - with so many choices out there and various marketing tactics , how do we choose ?
These are some of the things I have learned , correct me if I am wrong please : There are 2 types of gasoline’s - standard and other called Tier1 . Both types start as standard with a federal mandated minimum amount of cleaning additives . Tier1 gas has additional proprietary additives also included in their mixture -
Then there is the octane ratings - the additives are used to resist the igniting of gasoline . When gasoline is compressed it becomes more volatile and easier to ignite . So if you have an engine that is 11:1 compression ratio , a lower octane rated gas may ignite once the compression reaches say 10:1 (pre-ignition) at that point the piston could be prior to it optimal position inside the chamber and cause counter productive effects . Octane additive used to allow the gas to be compressed to the engines full ratio without spontaneous pre ignition .
Then you have alcohol - it’s a cheap way the govt was able to “water down “ the fuel . I believe alcohol has a very high octane rating of around 100?
I heard at 10:1 compression is when you need to bring up the octane ratings past the “regular” 87. I think the OEM 5.0 was 9:1 build ? At 12 degrees of timing I tried various octanes to see real world effects . For the most part car ran fine on 87 and a bit more power feeling and somewhat smoother wot and at idle then compared to 93 gas . This is a crude assessment of my findings , not nearly a controlled experiment or environment , just a general “feeling”
Most of you have different heads and intakes ( I suspect that may change compress ratio ? ) but , Let me know what you guys have found to be the gas brand and octane ratings to work best .
AND , please correct any info I may have wrong .

• Sponsors (?)

Well when it comes to gasoline, I run 13* timing on a stock bottom end with 89 octane. I also try to purchase from the same place.
The ethanol percent added to gas is apparently not consistant, that and there are different blends of gas for different seasons in different regions. gas
And then there is California.
I don't buy into the gas additives claims from some of the major brands. That's just me.
I will tell that I had a bronco ll that I made trips across the state once a week and it did not like citco gas. It dropped about 5-6 mpg every time I used it, no explanation. That was before I knew about the relationship between citgo and Venezuela back then, I will not step into a citgo gas station ever again. Nothing to do with gas mileage or the bronco. It's personal.
The octane of fuel has something to do with the resistance to detonation when applied to compression. There is enough info on google about fuel/octane to make you run for an alcoholic beverage.

Reactions: 1 users

During the hurricane it was announced that all our gas comes from the Port Of Tampa , and it all comes from the same huge drums. Meaning all the trucks get the same gas. The gas stations near me fill up almost every day . Not that long ago during some winter rains water got into the underground tank and ruined lots of cars. It was posted online and dozens of people had cars that would not run. Some people claimed it cost them thousands to get their cars fixed . They all called Racetracks corp office wanting to be paid . I dont know the outcome , but they were really upset.....My car has an old Diablo chip , and I was told to run premium. The original previous owner of my fox used premium from the day it was new . I assume I have some clean valves.

Ok, first here is the deal on the in ground fuel tanks at gas stations since around the late 80's, the tanks are double walled and the way the tops (the place where the tankers fill) are designed it would be impossible to introduce water into the tank unless it was done intentionally. The pipe in the tank is designed not to reach the bottom of the tank. Crap does get stirred up when the tanker drops the fuel.
There was a time when there was a rash of fuel thefts that involved refilling tankers with water but I don't recall where it took place or any details.
As for the tankers picking up fuel from the ports I have heard the same stories, I don't believe that Shell Nitrogen Enriched gasoline is coming from the same tank as Mom and Pops Petrol Stop.
But I also don't believe the hype 'Nitrogen Enrichent'.
Wasn't it 'Techtrolene' before?

What determines the actual compression on a non boosted engine ?
The same thing that determines it on a boosted one .
Combustion chamber size
Piston type , pop up , dome , flat top , reverse dome etc.
Compressed head gasket size .
How far piston is down in the hole as well .
That’s static compression .

Then you have dynamic compression which is affected by the cam and measured when the intake valve is closing .

I run ethanol free gasoline in my car. Several stations around here have it, and I get better fuel mileage with it. The fuel also lasts longer so I don't have to worry as much about it going bad during the winter months.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I was thinking about switching to Torco. ( I think I spelled it right ). Car runs good with the Heet but a bunch of friends use the other stuff.

I was thinking about switching to Torco. ( I think I spelled it right ). Car runs good with the Heet but a bunch of friends use the other stuff.
Torco does work . We have used it on the dyno , I’ve used it myself for a while . Another member here with the turbo lx hatch used it too.

Reactions: 1 user
This could be an interesting discussion if we could get some boosted members in here to explain.
Who needs google when you got stangnet to answer your questions on this subject.
Maybe the short answer is detonation, I would explain more but I'm not qualified.