Lightweight Driveshaft Recommendations?

• Sponsors (?)

thanks for the pics, zero. the new shaft looks so much sturdier than the old one.
cusp, did you see enough gain from the 3.73's to make the whole procedure worth it? i've got 3.31s now and would like to go with something bigger, but i don't want every gear to seem like a granny gear and be winding out on the highway. OTOH, i don't want to spend a lot of time installing 3.73s and then not be happy with them.

Hard to say what you would be happy with. Its kind of subjective. I did the gears and the shaft at the same time so I can't separate the effect of the change. It could be that some of the zip I am feeling from the 3.73s is from the shaft as according to coast driveline, frees up 10 foot pounds of torque and 14 HP during acceleration. I am happy with my current configuration though. I am getting much improved acceleration but not so much that the back wheels are breaking loose unintentionally.

I don't know how much freeway you do. But my take on what the change is. From 3.31s to the 3.73s I gained almost 300 RPM in 5th for a given speed. Before going 80 barely broke 2200 rpm now its 2500 but with 4.10s it would be 2750. The gears help you get going quicker. But rolling down the highway for hours, they may get tiresome listening to. So if its hole shots you want, then the 4.10s. Quite freeway flying, keep the 3.31s. A compromise of both, the 3.73s. Ford put the 3.73s in the Bullitt and the GT500 KR. I think that I know why now. And I have a good feel as to why Ford put in 3.55s for the stock GTs the first couple of years. Had my 08 come stock with the 3.55s I don't think I would have switched them.

Shakrr, I didn't have any issue with the e-brake. The Shaftmasters is a 4" shaft too. I set my pinion angle to -2.5 and all is good. No rubbing or anything like that. Where I live there isn't always the greatest roads either. Now I really don't ever run it with 4 people but I do have 2 sons and with them in the car there are no problems. I would totally recommend it. IMO I would say if you are doing the UCA also do the UCA mount. You are already in there and the mount isn't that much extra work.

Cusp, I agree with you as I have 3.73s in my 95 Cobra. And having bought the car with 4.10s I don't have a good gauge of the stock vs. not. I hate road noise and gear whine and 4.10s don't bother me a bit. But you are right, it is all personal preference. I would recommend 4.10s to everybody.

No sweat. It is a LOT sturdier but what you can't see is how much it DOESN'T weigh. The weight difference is staggering. As for your gear choice issue, I just bought my 08 GT a little over a month ago. The guy selling it was so not wanting to tell me it 4.10s since he thought he might scare me off. I must admit I was concerned when he told me. Every other Mustang I have ever had had 3.73s. I drove the car and was amazed with the 4.10s. I drive the highway to work everyday and never get tired of it or think the engine is winding too high. The 3650's 5th gear is a lot better than the T-5s. That's just my 2¢.

interesting; i've heard a lot of good stuff about the 4.10s; i'm leaning toward them instead of the 3.73s; don't want to go to a lot of work and then not see much of a difference. driveshaft and gears are the next mod on my list, for sure.

Hard to say what you would be happy with. Its kind of subjective. I did the gears and the shaft at the same time so I can't separate the effect of the change. It could be that some of the zip I am feeling from the 3.73s is from the shaft as according to coast driveline, frees up 10 foot pounds of torque and 14 HP during acceleration. I am happy with my current configuration though. I am getting much improved acceleration but not so much that the back wheels are breaking loose unintentionally.

I don't know how much freeway you do. But my take on what the change is. From 3.31s to the 3.73s I gained almost 300 RPM in 5th for a given speed. Before going 80 barely broke 2200 rpm now its 2500 but with 4.10s it would be 2750. The gears help you get going quicker. But rolling down the highway for hours, they may get tiresome listening to. So if its hole shots you want, then the 4.10s. Quite freeway flying, keep the 3.31s. A compromise of both, the 3.73s. Ford put the 3.73s in the Bullitt and the GT500 KR. I think that I know why now. And I have a good feel as to why Ford put in 3.55s for the stock GTs the first couple of years. Had my 08 come stock with the 3.55s I don't think I would have switched them.

hmmm, now i'm not sure.... my heart says 4.10's, but my head says 3.73s. ha ha. i hardly drive the car at all, and when i do it's usually in town, so i wouldn't have to worry about the 4.10s then; but it's the only good car i have so whenever i do take a long road trip i would drive the stang. but since i only take a road trip maybe once a year or so, i guess i could probably deal with the higher rpms. thanks for the info. i probably won't decide for sure until i hit the "send" button when i place my order for the gears. ha ha.

When you get gears that low your next step should be to get a power adder such as a higher duration cam that will keep building power past the stock cam's max rpms. Then you can keep it in 1st and 2nd longer and no one will be going through the traps in 5th.