long tube headers advice

Fizzle

May 29, 2008
hey guys, i'm getting ready to get long tubes. i've been looking at ARH, Kooks and Borla. Please give any advice/suggestions you have b/c i'm new to these brands. I have SLP Loudmouths on my car so how daring would i have to be to run an off road x pipe? (i live in a small town and don't have to worry about emissions) thanks everybody

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with Thump. I think it would be a little on the loud side for small town cops. I live in a small town as well and I have nearly stock exhaust and already get dirty looks from the local fuzz.

As far as quality, ARH and Kooks are top notch. There isn't anything wrong with JBA's but they don't have quite the quality ARH or Kooks. When I finally bite the long tube bullet, I'll be looking for a set of ARH's with a H style midpipe.

ARH and Kooks have the best build quality of any manufacturer, the header flangem the welds, the route of the tubing for clearance is far superior but at a cost.. JBA's will work fine, net the same gains, and probably keep most cosumers happy.

The main reason for an H over an X is to gain some of that previous gen mustang growl that has been long missing on these S197's.

does one sound better than the other in anyone's opinion that has heard both?

All i can say is that i noticed you are running SLP Loud Mouths...Emay recently changed out my Bassani X and FRRP Shorties for Kooks LTs and a Kooks custom H with racing cats....I kepts the SLP LMs on...and all I can say is this exhaust can wake the dead now!!! :D

I am extremely happy with the Kooks. Will try to take a video soon but it never compares to hearing it in person. Sorry don't know anyone around here running the OBX headers.

yeah i'm leaving the SLP LM's on. i wish i could hear the ARH Kooks and JBA setup but there are only 2 s197's in my town and mine is the only one not stock. i don't mind paying for the ARH's but if the JBA's are the same quality and performance then why not spend less on them. a video of your kooks and SLP setup would be great. thanks

All i can say is that i noticed you are running SLP Loud Mouths...Emay recently changed out my Bassani X and FRRP Shorties for Kooks LTs and a Kooks custom H with racing cats....I kepts the SLP LMs on...and all I can say is this exhaust can wake the dead now!!! :D

I am extremely happy with the Kooks. Will try to take a video soon but it never compares to hearing it in person. Sorry don't know anyone around here running the OBX headers.

Damn....I can only imagine your setup now Glenn - I thought it would already wake the dead even before the headers:)

Check over at The Mustang Source forums, there's some guys over their running the OBX setup and seem to pretty happy all around.

If you wanna know HOW LOUD.. you will be check out the teck sticky "exhaust combos" scroll down till you find SLP... other than that. I have to ask .. Why LT's you running a SC soon ..?? Most gains seen with those will come from a FI car !

I have SLP LT's and love them. SS, ceramic coated. I don't know how they compare in price to the others mentioned here though.

I had mine custom fitted to my full length MAC offroad prochamber. I would recommend you get an LT/shorty H pipe combo though. I think SLP only offers an X pipe.

My car didn't really get louder with the LT's just deeper and more fine tuned sounding. Completely took the trumpets out of the stinger axle back.

I am running JBA longtubes with high flow cats and SLP Loudmouth. What happened was it was trumpeting way to much on decel, and it really sounded raspy and high pitched. I then put some 12 inch resonators on and that fixed the trumpeting and gave it a deeper note. Just perfect.

yeah i'm leaving the SLP LM's on. i wish i could hear the ARH Kooks and JBA setup but there are only 2 s197's in my town and mine is the only one not stock. i don't mind paying for the ARH's but if the JBA's are the same quality and performance then why not spend less on them. a video of your kooks and SLP setup would be great. thanks

It's going to sound like crap especially with a off road set-up. I suggest using the SLP LMs for the tips and get the Pypes Mid Muffler system. Just sell the Pypes muffler delete to get back some money. It'll sound insane !!

Or buy the old school SLP LM muffler from 99-04 they have them for about 75 bucks ! there just like the mid muffler system and instead of buying a whole new setup you could just weld them in and fab up a bracket !