Long Tubes Vs Shorties.. What's Practical.

I may be kinda off and just wasted my time, I've heard discussions on the h pipe verses the x pipe, I have read a few things about the differences but the thing I ran across on a BBK h pipe I got, the holes in the cross over pipes was just drilled out about maybe 1 1/4 inches, probably less, I took a small cutting wheel and opened it up to the edges of the cross pipe, now it did lower the tone slightly I think and I don't have any droning, don't know if I did any good but I feel better, what do you all think? I mean besides the obvious.

• Sponsors (?)

is
I may be kinda off and just wasted my time, I've heard discussions on the h pipe verses the x pipe, I have read a few things about the differences but the thing I ran across on a BBK h pipe I got, the holes in the cross over pipes was just drilled out about maybe 1 1/4 inches, probably less, I took a small cutting wheel and opened it up to the edges of the cross pipe, now it did lower the tone slightly I think and I don't have any droning, don't know if I did any good but I feel better, what do you all think? I mean besides the obvious.
is there a certain method to getting drone? I've ran an X pipe and will go back with one but if I can go with a setup to avoid drone I will consider it

yes I will definitely go ahead as planned with my build.

sound difference as well too right?
IMO the sound is different, maybe even quieter than shorty headers in the low to mid rpm's. I've had drone with shorties and flowmasters before with both H and X pipes but I have zero drone with my long tubes, o/r H, and flowmasters.

is

is there a certain method to getting drone? I've ran an X pipe and will go back with one but if I can go with a setup to avoid drone I will consider it
Not sure what causes the drone that some experience, my car has dynomat from firewall to tail lights, lts, h pipe, unknown mufflers and mandrel bent tail pipes all 2 1/2 inch on a 89 gt, never experienced any drone but I've been in a couple that did.
Maybe someone can clue us in how bout it @madmike1157

IMO the sound is different, maybe even quieter than shorty headers in the low to mid rpm's. I've had drone with shorties and flowmasters before with both H and X pipes but I have zero drone with my long tubes, o/r H, and flowmasters.
cool.
yes I will still have the flowmasters with the initial setup as I did with my Mac shorties and basani X

my homeboy has borla stingers with his 408 setup and an X with accufab LTs

I've always heard about the tone and sound difference using LT's vs Shorties. I've had a 302 with mods @ 300 HP since 2005 and have shorties. I am going to build a 351 (400) and wanted to run LTs and will use the fox setup and run a tremec tranny from Hanlon motorsports. Talking to the guy there he told me what all I will need to use to go with the fox setup since my car is a 95 and I've done my homework and as far as fitment, it's the way to go vs using a T5 much less the torque and power that the even the astro T5 may not be able to take. So I am/was willing to go that route and get the LT's ( BBK ceramic 1 3/4's).

Car won't be a drag or racer but a nice weekend driving streetcar and something's telling me to just go ahead and do the LTs.
Apples to oranges. A bolt on 302 vs anything more(especially a 351 based motor) falls into "looking for more hp" imo. Nobody should run shortys on a built motor and the op wasn't asking about that. If anybody wants to run LT's, they can, and will probably see a performance gain(even a stock motor-even if it's marginal). It's just not necessary in some cases.

Apples to oranges. A bolt on 302 vs anything more(especially a 351 based motor) falls into "looking for more hp" imo. Nobody should run shortys on a built motor and the op wasn't asking about that. If anybody wants to run LT's, they can, and will probably see a performance gain(even a stock motor-even if it's marginal). It's just not necessary in some cases.
cool
gotcha

Ok, so I'm swapping my long tube off road stuff for a buddies bbk equal length catted x pipe stuff. Should I just find a equal length set of headers while I'm ahead? Removing header bolts with a wrench sucks

Ok, so I'm swapping my long tube off road stuff for a buddies bbk equal length catted x pipe stuff. Should I just find a equal length set of headers while I'm ahead? Removing header bolts with a wrench sucks
I'd stay away from equal length if I had a choice. Unequal shorties are the way to go IMO if not going with full length headers.

Reactions: 1 user
BBK equal length shorties used to have an issue with one if the pipes being too close to the passenger side frame tail. It would clear but the heat would burn the car paint causing surface rust....and then real rust.