Longs or shorts?

earleys94gt

Aug 31, 2003
Ashley, Ohio
I have a 94 gt, already with a Flowmaster Cat-back, and I was looking into headers. I am going to put on some sort of x-pipe(stocks cats suck), and was thinking about either long tube or equal length-shortie BBK headers. Which, if any would be a better buy or performance gain for my mostly stock set-up? My set-up right now is stock, possibly a BBK cold-air and maybe a 65mm Throttle Body appearing soon, but nothing else. Thanks for any input/advice guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I hear that headers dont make a big difference on our stock motors cause our stock headers are not that bad to begin with. They are better than the cars who are stuck with the exhaust manifold bull crap....

The biggest bottle neck on our exhaust is the H-pipe, you got that covered so put that header money towards other go fast goodies...I recommend GEARS(3.73 5-speed 4.10auto) or a set of ASP Under Drive Pullies. That will be money well spent and i bet you would see a MUCH greater increase with either of those over the headers.

Just something to think about

I put 3.73's in mine stock, it felt real weak. After I put my bbk l/ts on they car overall felt alot stronger.

Before the l/ts I had o/r x-pipe. My friend in his 2003 was beating me by 2 lenghts from a 15 roll, after the l/ts I was pulling 2 on him from the same roll.

drunkinamustang

Have you had a chance to get a dyno done to see what the rwhp/torque is at with the BBK LT's ?

I'm planning on adding the BBK ceramic coated LT's this summer, and a bud with a 2002 GT is saying they don't make a difference with the mods I have. See sig.

Thanks,Dewey :nice:

definitely wait on the LT's. your engine isn't ready for it.

pass on the CAI, do the pullies and xpipe. you're gonna want to do the gears soon after the x.

the CAI and TB will do a little for you but i'd say shoot for a H/C/I. that's where you'll see the biggest gains. i did all the little things with my car but really i should have just gone for the intake first.

1st - Exhaust, gotta get that mustang sound!
2nd - gears and pulleys
3rd - intake

but of course intermixed throughout youre going to need a better suspension (brakes, subframe connectors, springs, shocks, etc) what good is HP if you cant get it to the ground and control it.

Nope havent had a chance to get it dyno'd yet, but I know the was a considerable, very noticable horsepower gain. but you might consider going too like a 3' or 3 1/2' exhaust w/ l/ts

But also I went from those restrictive stock headers too l/ts so I dunno how it would be going from shorties too l/ts

as long as your in there, might as well do the long tubes, especially if you are planning engine mods. i also like the prochamber over the x-pipe. if you need any pointers on the install, feel free to pm me. for the cai, you can find some pretty cheap ones that look a hell of a lot better than pvc pipe:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2474661520&category=38634

this is the one on my car, i couldn't be happier with it.

nmcgrawj said:
$22 to ship it? Thats ridiculous, spend $10 and build it out of pvc pipe and then paint it whatever color you desire. It wont get hot like that metal chrome stuff either.....

Personally, unless you have other chrome under the hood, a chrome CAI doesn't impress me much. But to each their own...

sorry man, pvc looks like crap, painting it looks ricey, it will chip off as soon as something touches it and the metal won't get any hotter than the pvc will. if anything, the plastic will soak up more heat as the chrome plating will reflect some heat.
it's only about $65 bucks, if you can't spare that, you shouldn't be modding your car anyway. but that's just my opinion. :D

i agree with bluedevil of the pvc pipe and you should be able to spare the 65 bucks. i disagree with bluedevil in the matter of it looking ricey. i say it looks plain ol ghetto, no matter what color you paint it. the homemade cai i've seen, i have not liked, maybe there are some out there that are decent, but i haven't seen one.

PVC doesn't look like anything to show off, but it gets the job done. Being 18 and not having rich parents, money needs to be well spent. If i can spend 10 bucks on a CAI and then put another 55 towards pullies or something else, then i will do it.

If i get some chrome(like a supercharger or polished intake) under the hood, then i will buy a chrome CAI,but it just looks tacky sittin there alone.

BTW: Metal's heat properties are a lot different than plastic so i doubt they reach the same temperature in the same environment. BUT i doubt that affects the air flowing through much so it really doesn't matter.

Either way, i think it comes down to money available, thats what made my decision....not the appearance factor.

Nate

nmcgrawj said:
PVC doesn't look like anything to show off, but it gets the job done. Being 18 and not having rich parents, money needs to be well spent. If i can spend 10 bucks on a CAI and then put another 55 towards pullies or something else, then i will do it.

If i get some chrome(like a supercharger or polished intake) under the hood, then i will buy a chrome CAI,but it just looks tacky sittin there alone.

BTW: Metal's heat properties are a lot different than plastic so i doubt they reach the same temperature in the same environment. BUT i doubt that affects the air flowing through much so it really doesn't matter.

Either way, i think it comes down to money available, thats what made my decision....not the appearance factor.

Nate

i can understand being broke, so i know where you're coming from. my parents never bought me anything for my car when i was younger, i had to buy it myself if i wanted it. it's great when you can finally afford to buy the nice parts.